2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

41 minutes ago, Jastons said:

How much would it have cost to keep KVV?

How much are Obika, Wilkinson and Blair costing? 

We discussed keeping him and couldn't get close to what the Dutch team were offering.

I'd also warn against signing one striker for the price of four and hoping he doesn't get injured, suspended or loses form.

48 minutes ago, Jastons said:

How much would it have cost to keep KVV?

How much are Obika, Wilkinson and Blair costing? 

With a fan owned club model which I dislike,  without large capital backup that decision wouldnt be made. I would have loved to keep van veen and went to next level instead of constantly rebuilding.

27 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Can you tell us a signing we have made in the last three years that has enthused you ... 99% of the time we know fuck all about our signings because that's the market we operate in.

When we signed Casey from America he had done fuck all of note now he's the people's hero. We signed Tierney under the banner of one of the Irish Leagues best young prospects and he's rampantly average. We signed Stuart McKinstry and half our support were wetting themselves with excitement and he was bang average at best. We signed Moult and again half the fans were creaming their pants, he wasn't worth a fuck.

So the moral of all of this. Getting excited about a signing is pointless because they could turn out to be shite. Equally there is no point getting depressed as they could turn out to be decent.  

Funnily enough I was enthused about us signing Louis Moult on loan last August, naively perhaps and I allowed heart to rule head but that signing did please me. Sadly it didn’t work out.

You’re absolutely right that getting excited or depressed about a signing is pointless which is why I am prepared to give Theo Bair and the rest of our signings the chance to prove themselves.  

All I’m saying is that a player who failed to make any sort of positive impression at St.Johnstone last season joining us is underwhelming. But the floor is his to prove me and the rest of his doubters wrong.

I think he was on the verge of packing it in as he had been rejected by Dundee United prior to joining us. I'm sure McDonald actually took a while to settle in and only scored one more goal near the end of his first season with us.

We could probably all rhyme off examples of players that we might have thought would have done well and others that wouldn't. I remember signing Steven Craig from Falkirk who were playing in the First Division, a guy who wasn't playing regularly or scoring much but we signed him after he was let go, done us a turn and we were never in trouble during his stay. Plus the likes of Nick Blackman, tremendous for us and later in the same season not so much for Aberdeen. 

Kettlewell signed Ross Stewart for County, a guy who couldn't get a sniff in a poor St Mirren team and he developed alright.

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Imagine you are 23 years old 3000 miles from home and you get a new job and everyone connected to the new company goes on social media to say you are shite....give guy a break for fuck sake. SK has said he needs developed and at 23 years old he sees something he can develop. Let's also be realistic how difficult would it be to shine / perform in the St Johnstone team of the last two years. 

Exactly, well said

"So Theo how was your first day?",  Ye it's been great, everyone has been so nice and wishing me all the best"

The lad deserves a chance and I mean about a dozen games, not a 20 minute audition when folk decide straight away about him.

I am willing this lad to do well as he will be wearing the claret and Amber and representing our great club.   COYW

• Like 1

And maybe a song for Saturday if he appears ( to the tune of Campdown Races)

"SK's made a new signing....Theo Theo

SK's made a new signing.....Theo Theo Bair

Theo ...Theo Bair.............Theo Theo Bair

Please go out and score a goal....Theo Theo Bair"

Ps. Lennon and McCartney couldn't lace my boots....😜😜😜

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Exactly, well said

"So Theo how was your first day?",  Ye it's been great, everyone has been so nice and wishing me all the best"

The lad deserves a chance and I mean about a dozen games, not a 20 minute audition when folk decide straight away about him.

I am willing this lad to do well as he will be wearing the claret and Amber and representing our great club.   COYW

Were have you been the last 15 years? That type of talk will never catch on here. Deserves a chance ? 20 minute audition try 20 seconds more like, willing the lad to do well . No time for that type of positivity here , move along now . Hes on scrapheap already so no point in him turning up for any games or even training with the first team. 
 Hope he turns into the best striker since Moult to shut some folk up.

6 minutes ago, stv said:

Were have you been the last 15 years? That type of talk will never catch on here. Deserves a chance ? 20 minute audition try 20 seconds more like, willing the lad to do well . No time for that type of positivity here , move along now . Hes on scrapheap already so no point in him turning up for any games or even training with the first team. 
 Hope he turns into the best striker since Moult to shut some folk up.

Cheers bud, ambitious I know but worth a try 

6 hours ago, David said:

I clearly remember everyone losing the plot over our summer business, which consisted of:

• Blair Spittal on a two-year deal
  • Paul McGinn on a one-year deal
  • Josh Morris on a two-year deal
  • Kevin Van Veen signing a new contract

Compared to this summer, that business looks absolutely amazing.

That was a summer when we were recruiting from a position of strength, before a European campaign, rather than one where we'd already blown the budget in January. 

Even then, renewals aside, so far we've brought in Wilkinson and Souare from English League 2, Zdravkovski from the Cypriot league, and taken a punt on Bair from one of our direct rivals. I don't think that constitues a particularly amazing window thus far, but I also don't see how the player/level we're signing from it is any worse than the last few years, on the face of it.

3 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Scott McDonald was 20 when he signed

Bair is 23, still relatively young. Moult was 22 when he made his name at Wrexham. Am I convinced Bair is going to score 20 goals this season? Nope but I've been around long enough to know that footballers develop at different speeds and sometimes don't work out at certain clubs..

4 hours ago, MJC said:

I’m saying is that a player who failed to make any sort of positive impression at St.Johnstone last season joining us is underwhelming. But the floor is his to prove me and the rest of his doubters wrong.

Mo Salah was considered a dud at Chelsea.

As others have said, you just never know. 

What we do know is that a club like ours can't afford to sign a proven goalscorer guaranteed to hit 20 a season. Our business model is developing academy prospects or developing younger players that coaches think might have something. 

I have always enjoyed watching our players improve. It's part of supporting a club like ours. Slagging them off is the anthesis of "giving youth a chance" and 23 is still on the younger end of the scale. 

31 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Mo Salah was considered a dud at Chelsea.

As others have said, you just never know. 

What we do know is that a club like ours can't afford to sign a proven goalscorer guaranteed to hit 20 a season. Our business model is developing academy prospects or developing younger players that coaches think might have something. 

I have always enjoyed watching our players improve. It's part of supporting a club like ours. Slagging them off is the anthesis of "giving youth a chance" and 23 is still on the younger end of the scale. 

But “a club like ours” can afford to sign players who have scored 20 goals in a season in their career. In other words, players who have a record of scoring a decent amount of goals. Van Veen, Moult, Higdon, Sutton as examples. In some cases punts, but less of a punt than what we are currently seeing. And also developing youth talent at the same time. 
Given the wages dropped at season end in respect of Goss, KVV, Furlong, Johnston coupled with those moved on since,  we should have had scope to sign at least one striker who has averaged more than 6 goals a season at best over the past 5 years. And that’s not even looking to any of the Van Veen transfer monies. . I would guess that’s why we employ a recruitment team. And let’s be up front, the Club knew for months that KVV was heading off so should have been forward planning. 
If as seems likely we end the window with the four strikers we currently have, then I fear we will require another January miracle.

Happy if proven wrong, but that’s my take on things based on the on field evidence so far, admittedly only four games in.  

And I think you’ll find that with a squad and the options a Club like Chelsea has, many players will move on. Not because they are flops, but because they are at the back of a very long queue and need to be playing regularly to progress and reach their potential. If you are comparing Bair to Salah then that is quite a stretch. 

16 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

And maybe a song for Saturday if he appears ( to the tune of Campdown Races)

"SK's made a new signing....Theo Theo

SK's made a new signing.....Theo Theo Bair

Theo ...Theo Bair.............Theo Theo Bair

Please go out and score a goal....Theo Theo Bair"

Ps. Lennon and McCartney couldn't lace my boots....😜😜😜

Is that because yer boots are slip ons :lol:

16 hours ago, steelboy said:

Kettlewell's comments on the website are unreal. He's an expert in talking pish yet he can't even find a way to praise Bair's footballing ability in the slightest. 

'Adds to our project', 'experience of playing in the league', 'only 23', 'improve our options'. 

Do you think he will get goals and win games for us Stuart? Of course you fucking don't.

Well we've got the dud from Perth. Funnily enough it's very quiet about the guy from Arsenal.

Kettlewell is betting his managrial career on Bair, Obika and Wilkinson. It's a bold move.  

Edit - Just seen it's a two year deal. If this guy has the same agent as Paton then it's dodgy as fuck.

Aye 6 foot 3 and can't head the ball just like the other two donkeys. 

Wow !!!! Are you ok ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The response to us signing Theo Bair, on here and on socials has been embarrassing.

It's one thing discussing opinions about the signings we should expect the club to be making in here and conversing about the pros and cons, but to be actively slating the lad in a thread that the club has tagged him in is absolute sociopath, incel behaviour.

He might be good for us, he might be rotten for us, he might be somewhere in between. What's damn sure is that all the opinions expressed by the usual mouthpieces on here - before Bair has kicked a ball for us - will be doubled down on regardless. 

Absolute clowns.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Kris-A-Goalda said:

The response to us signing Theo Bair, on here and on socials has been embarrassing.

It's one thing discussing opinions about the signings we should expect the club to be making in here and conversing about the pros and cons, but to be actively slating the lad in a thread that the club has tagged him in is absolute sociopath, incel behaviour.

He might be good for us, he might be rotten for us, he might be somewhere in between. What's damn sure is that all the opinions expressed by the usual mouthpieces on here - before Bair has kicked a ball for us - will be doubled down on regardless. 

Absolute clowns.

Well said 👏

• David locked this topic