2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

49 minutes ago, mio said:

The boys got a year in the shop window and he does have aspirations to play in arsenals first team so he’ll need to perform. Hopefully he’ll benefit us do well for himself.

noises look positive from Arsenal supporters comments. We might have a good one here.

don’t like to get too excited getting players from the north London giants, John hendry still gives me chills.

Yep John Hendry gives me the chills also.....in fact they are multiplying!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mio said:

The boys got a year in the shop window and he does have aspirations to play in arsenals first team so he’ll need to perform. Hopefully he’ll benefit us do well for himself.

noises look positive from Arsenal supporters comments. We might have a good one here.

don’t like to get too excited getting players from the north London giants, John hendry still gives me chills.

If John Hendry was the new Klinsmann , does that make the arsenal guy the new Thierry Henry.

5 hours ago, weeyin said:

You might remember it that way. A quick search of the the site suggests otherwise.

Slattery still gets called out as useless by some on an almost weekly basis.

Will put my hands up to being wrong re those players being slated BEFORE they kicked a ball for us once you post a link to the comments you refer to, having found them from your quick search.

But the fact remains each of those players had a decent history which justified their signing. That is not the case with more recent signings and questioning the rationale for those signings is something concerned fans will do....... as opposed to blindly following the club line.

Slattery does receive unfair criticism but I don't recall that being the case on the day he signed, which is the point you made about him and the others.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2023 at 4:06 PM, grizzlyg said:

I have been on quite a lot recently about this but the abuse dished out to our players in recent years has got worse with recent examples being SOD, Spittal, McGinley and poor Bair the next victim no doubt. And I didn't like him but some of the abuse aimed at Alexander was absolutely ridiculous.

Strange how fans react to separate players yet others are exempt.  Now I am ecstatic we have signed Casey but in past 2 games he has made a few errors and not a peep.  If that was SOD or Lamie or Bevis then the abuse would have been OTT.

Regardless of whether you rate a player or not , booing them is not going to help the situation or their confidence.  We all need to give as much support as we can and I hope Bair especially gets a lot of encouragement, slating him after 20 mins ain't going to help.

COYW

The last two home matches players have been booed on as substitutes so no one should be surprised at the lengths some go too.

I'm sure it was Arsne Wenger who said (and as far as I know he knows a bit about fitba') that a player moving from one country's league to another needed at least six months to acclimatise. People on here are wanting what is essentially a reserve league player with FOUR career goals to his name (unless wikipedia is wrong) to 'step up' and 'hit the ground running'. Have a fucking word with yourselves.......

5 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

The ones that booed KVV, had to eat there words, hopefully the new guys will hit the ground running,but as you say the booing has to stop. 

I dont recall anyone booing KVV, certainly not where I sit. Start of year certainly deserved criticism but from February the rest of history as the guy was an absolute legend, those last 3 months will last long in the memory

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

I'm sure it was Arsne Wenger who said (and as far as I know he knows a bit about fitba') that a player moving from one country's league to another needed at least six months to acclimatise. 

That was Weeyin I think 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

I'm sure it was Arsne Wenger who said (and as far as I know he knows a bit about fitba') that a player moving from one country's league to another needed at least six months to acclimatise. People on here are wanting what is essentially a reserve league player with FOUR career goals to his name (unless wikipedia is wrong) to 'step up' and 'hit the ground running'. Have a fucking word with yourselves.......

It's not a luxury we are afforded anymore due to the high turn around of players in this league. 

By all accounts the young guy is getting rave reviews from Arsenal fans so hopefully he can make a great impression at senior level. A teenage Anthony Stokes went from Arsenal to Falkirk in the SPL without playing a senior game and smashed it. 

6 minutes ago, pretzel said:

It's not a luxury we are afforded anymore due to the high turn around of players in this league. 

By all accounts the young guy is getting rave reviews from Arsenal fans so hopefully he can make a great impression at senior level. A teenage Anthony Stokes went from Arsenal to Falkirk in the SPL without playing a senior game and smashed it. 

And Luca Belic came from West Ham to us and looked like a dick, even in training. Filling yer head with expectations of someone smashing it before they've kicked a baw is no better than labelling a player as 'shite and a wage thief' before he's kicked a baw.  

This seems more like the kind of signing we should be making. We cant really afford this kind of quality anymore unless we develop it or sign it on loan. Hopefully he is as good as his reviews suggest.

12 minutes ago, pretzel said:

Smashed a few Elvis personators also.....(thank you very much)

25 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

And Luca Belic came from West Ham to us and looked like a dick, even in training. Filling yer head with expectations of someone smashing it before they've kicked a baw is no better than labelling a player as 'shite and a wage thief' before he's kicked a baw.  

Tbf like Semih Ayildek as well under McGhee we got offered to take both players without paying a wage opposed to us really wanting them. 

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

I did post previously about him getting pied by some supporters when he was subbed, but a couple of weeks later when he started his scoring run, he was the best thing since sliced bread to them. Fickle our support mind you. 

That I totally agree with. 

40 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

I did post previously about him getting pied by some supporters when he was subbed, but a couple of weeks later when he started his scoring run, he was the best thing since sliced bread to them. Fickle our support mind you. 

Looking forward to reaction on forum after Bair scores a hat trick on Saturday....😜😜😜

11 hours ago, AllyMax said:

Filling yer head with expectations of someone smashing it before they've kicked a baw is no better than labelling a player as 'shite and a wage thief' before he's kicked a baw.  

Any chance this could be displayed on the scoreboard before or even during a game?

KVV did not deserve any criticism what so ever. When he was "looking huffy" etc it due to the fact he was expected to do the donkey work of a Mandron/Obika while trying to do his own job also. The wide players couldn't get close enough regularly to build up any rapport and KVV often had two centre halves to deal with. There were occasional flashes of the KVV we loved in there but he flourished once the system was changed. Not really a surprise.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

KVV did not deserve any criticism what so ever. When he was "looking huffy" etc it due to the fact he was expected to do the donkey work of a Mandron/Obika while trying to do his own job also. The wide players couldn't get close enough regularly to build up any rapport and KVV often had two centre halves to deal with. There were occasional flashes of the KVV we loved in there but he flourished once the system was changed. Not really a surprise.

KVV was a huffy bugger. A bit like the grand old duke of York, during his purple patch everything was perfect. When things weren't going away his attitude was far from perfect, hence playing for the likes of us rather than a higher level. 

Pretty sure GA said something along the lines of there is baggage with Kev but he's worth it.  Pretty accurate.  He certainly was worth it. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, dennyc said:

Will put my hands up to being wrong re those players being slated BEFORE they kicked a ball for us once you post a link to the comments you refer to, having found them from your quick search.

But the fact remains each of those players had a decent history which justified their signing. That is not the case with more recent signings and questioning the rationale for those signings is something concerned fans will do....... as opposed to blindly following the club line.

Slattery does receive unfair criticism but I don't recall that being the case on the day he signed, which is the point you made about him and the others.

The one that sticks out from your list was Porter - the chat, before he had kicked a ball, was that he had one leg longer than the other and was never going to make it as a professional footballer

Ridiculous, I know, but that's how I remember it. And I really can't be bothered searching back and posting any links to prove it.

• David locked this topic