2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

47 minutes ago, smiddy said:

what a bout ketts going back to his arsenal contact n askin "anymare yung yins want a geme on a sat" cause by feck the last one we got we improved

If his contact is Spanish, they'll either give him a chair or call the police.

38 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I am usually a positive guy but I am genuinely concerned that as it stands we have Bair and Obika up front and thats all.  Every other area looking ok but we need 2 strikers or I really fear the worse 

Aye we definitely need atleast 2,whoever we bring in should be coming in with the intention of being in front of obika,no harm to the guy but he just can't be relied on to stay fit.im certain were trying to get strikers in but anything can happen and until there actually signed then I think we have every right to be concerned.i would like a centre half in as well,other than maybe mcginn all our centre backs have been poor this season,there's far to many individual errors being made,getting a new face in might be enough to steady the ship as well as the others upping there game a bit.

3 minutes ago, Yassin said:

Ideally we'd get a striker in before Saturday but I don't know why folk are convincing themselves we'll just be going with Bair by himself until the end of the season.

I think we will sign a striker. Its clearly priority 

well the way things are SK wont be giving any inclination as to who we are looking at until there signed incase any of the other sneaky basta teams nick in with more money,   the quieter the better then  BOOM new no 9

1 minute ago, smiddy said:

well the way things are SK wont be giving any inclination as to who we are looking at until there signed incase any of the other sneaky basta teams nick in with more money,   the quieter the better then  BOOM new no 9

Completely with you on that one 

15 hours ago, MJC said:

That’s true and yes it is much easier to say he’s been a failure after six months of him being here rather than when he signed. Every signing we make is a gamble, I know that and I accept it.

But regardless of what I or anyone else thought before he had kicked a ball for us the fact in the matter is that this is another signing made during the summer that didn’t work out. The manager and the head of scouting are the ones paid to take responsibility for signings and are in a better position than anyone in the support or this forum to judge a player, or so you would hope anyway.

Yes, but there's only so much that a recruitment team and manager can do when they are recruiting players. From virtually every angle the Shaw signing looked like a sound piece of business.

He's 25 years old, Scottish and knows our league, he has scored 24 goals in our top division with Hibs, Kilmarnock and Ross County, and 23 in the lower leagues of Scotland. 

In fairness, he started two league games for us and scored two goals. In one of those starts, he came off injured after less than an hour and had been deployed as an attacking midfielder rather than a forward. As a sub, the most time he got on the park was 30 minutes against Rangers. 

Would it have been different had he gotten a run of actual starts? We'll never know. The stats would suggest he would have found the net for us, but he didn't really get much of a chance beyond coming on with anywhere from ten to twenty minutes to play in games.

I could accept criticism of how Kettlewell utilised him for sure, but criticism of the actual signing? Not so much.

Nothing against Shaw at all and I agree that his signing made sense. The fact that his loan has been cut short suggests to me that there will be a forward signing up soon. There's no way that Shaw would have been allowed to leave if there was no-one coming in.

2 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Nothing against Shaw at all and I agree that his signing made sense. The fact that his loan has been cut short suggests to me that there will be a forward signing up soon. There's no way that Shaw would have been allowed to leave if there was no-one coming in.

Shaw could well have been on his way out anyway but he's obviously still injured, as he's back at Barnsley to 'continue his rehabilitation'.

His signing made sense in as much as he was a last minute panic buy who Kettlewell knew from Ross County, but he hadn't scored in a year when he arrived and you could see he was totally devoid of confidence.

32 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

In about 16 attempts Shaw didn't score once........a bit like my record in Hamilton Palace in the early nineties!! 😜😜

It's good to know your chat up lines are just as good as your jokes 😆

43 minutes ago, stv said:

No he was just fkin rotten.

Thinking back to the furore surrounding certain signings that supposedly hadn't had a proven goalscoring record prior to signing for us - Shaw did. Not defending him as it really didn't work out but on paper he is the kind of player that we ought to be looking out for.

With six days to go, Kettlewell is getting his excuses in already. Tick tock.

https://www.thenational.scot/sport/24074093.striker-scenario-evolving-time-says-motherwell-boss-kettlewell/

Motherwell manager Stuart Kettlewell admits his striker hunt is an ever-changing scenario as he prepares to face St Johnstone with Theo Bair as his only experienced option.

The departures of Mika Biereth, Conor Wilkinson and Oli Shaw plus a hamstring tear for Jon Obika, who faces “at least another few weeks” out have left Motherwell desperately short up front.

Mark Ferrie will return to the squad following the end of his loan spell with Stenhousemuir, although the 18-year-old could not break into the runaway League 2 leaders’ starting line-up.

Motherwell were this week linked with a move to take James Scott back to Fir Park from Exeter but he joined former Well boss Stephen Robinson at St Mirren instead.

On his hunt for a striker, Kettlewell said: “It’s been the priority since the start of the window but as we all know January is a tough window.

“We have spoken to a lot of players and clubs and tried to dress up a number of situations, some of which looked really positive, and sometimes you fall flat on your face.

“But I suppose that is part and parcel of it in a transfer window. You get a bit annoyed and frustrated at a number of people along the way but you always have that plan B, C and D and think about other routes you can go down.

“And you need to have players that want to come to your club – the guys that jump through hoops to get here are always the best players for you.”

Given Obika has suffered three hamstring injuries and only started seven league games since first joining the club 12 months ago, Kettlewell would naturally want more than one striker in.

But he said: “I want to get one in first and then I will see where I am from there. What does that leave us in terms of finances?

“There are so many things in question, everything depends on money and availability.

“The situation is evolving all the time, we are having to shift the goalposts depending on being turned down by a player or whether we can afford one, or if we can afford him does that mean it’s only one rather than two?

“Because we have had so many injuries, we sometimes have to think about having that cover and ensuring it’s maybe more than one.”

After Arsenal recalled Biereth to send him out to Austrian title challengers Sturm Graz and successful spells for the likes of James Furlong and Brodie Spencer plus current loanee Georgie Gent, Kettlewell is hoping to persuade major clubs to trust him with their young players.

“We have been working in that fashion, if we are speaking to clubs about young loan players we believe we can evidence the opportunities here and that they will flourish in this environment,” he said.

“But that sometimes still comes down to money and relationships with other clubs.”

Kettlewell might have some more experience to call on in Perth after naming six 17-year-olds on his bench for last weekend’s win over Alloa.

New Zealand international Callan Elliot and former Hearts midfielder Sam Nicholson joined this week but both are short of match fitness, while Dan Casey and Shane Blaney are back on the training pitch following injury but will not necessarily be ready.

30 minutes ago, wellfan said:

With six days to go, Kettlewell is getting his excuses in already. Tick tock.

Why don't you send him YOUR list of available strikers with the right pedigree and available within our budget.

Either that or learn the differences between excuses an reality.

Either that or just stop being a fud and STFU.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

One must ask if we are struggling to bring a striker in, why did we let Wilkinson go in pursue of first team football? He would play every week between now and end of season if we fail to bring someone in this window. Granted he was rotten but better than nothing!

• David locked this topic