2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

1 minute ago, wellup83 said:

I don't believe we're overdue a relegation. Yes we've looked vulnerable at times but ultimately we've prevailed and often finished the season strongly. I've seen enough of the league this season to believe we'll stay up. That said, if we don't get some regular investment from somewhere our future in the top division could well be under threat.

Our best hope may be me winning the power ball jackpot. Suppose I should start buying a ticket or two then. 

On 1/12/2024 at 6:01 PM, steelboy said:

Oakley is a decent finisher and is worth taking a chance on. Ruari Paton at Queen's Park and Bruce Anderson from Livi are both decent players we should be taking a look at.

We need a right back in this window so I'd be asking Rangers about Adam Devine on loan. He's been solid when he's appeared in their first team and for Scotland u21s.

I suggested signing Devine 3 weeks ago but I don't understand why we have brought him in when we have plenty of cover there and are apparently short of money. 

4 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

My brother is one of said die hards (he's a bit better off than me). He doesn't go to Ibrox or Celtic Park but he goes to as many other away games as he can and he's always there at home games unless he's working. It is tough when you are skint. Practically impossible to get to a game if you are on benefits which I was on and off for a few years. I dont do away games for the same reason. Can't afford it 

Yes as I said I get that, times are tough. But by the sounds of it both you and your brother go to the games whenever you can go? That’s great. 

As I said though we have ‘supporters’ who for whatever reason choose to spend their money elsewhere on match days most weeks. That’s up to them of course.

11 minutes ago, wunderwell said:

That my friend is still a loss in the p and l funded by long term debt.
Still lost a million quid whether they borrowed it from the government or borrowed it from Taylor Swift.

I can assure you a loan is not a loss. There are not a set of accounts on the planet that show a loan as a loss, well except Donald Trumps accounts. The only contributing factor to any loss would be the outgoings to finance the loan. In this case I.e £50,000 a year (£1 million / by 20 years) You cannot attribute a twenty years cost to one years accounts. 

1 minute ago, steelboy said:

I suggested signing Devine 3 weeks ago but I don't understand why we have brought him in when we have plenty of cover there and are apparently short of money. 

I think McGinn and O'Donnell will be playing central defence from now on and the new guys will be bursting lungs up and down their respective sides.

3 minutes ago, steelboy said:

So you're saying you like this signing then? 😃

6 minutes ago, MJC said:

As I said though we have ‘supporters’ who for whatever reason choose to spend their money elsewhere on match days most weeks. That’s up to them of course.

If we're brutally honest, is Scottish football really worth the entry cost? £20-£20 to sit in the pissing rain and cold to watch football? The facilities are shocking, the food and drink on offer is a joke. 

I don't blame anyone for spending their hard earned elsewhere.

1 minute ago, grizzlyg said:

Jack fell down and broke his crown......and Obika tripped over the bucket!!

I’m not feeling in a joking mood and often find your ‘humorous’ interjections irritating, to say the least.

But I did laugh at that. 👍 :lol:

Nice one! 😆

Frm reports Killie are paying the majority (or even all) of KVVs wages.

Puts a different slant on it.

Fair enough if we were throwing £2k at it and missing out.

Killie reportedly throwing between 5k and 10k a week at it rightly put us off.

1 minute ago, David said:

If we're brutally honest, is Scottish football really worth the entry cost? £20-£20 to sit in the pissing rain and cold to watch football? The facilities are shocking, the food and drink on offer is a joke. 

I get that but why can other clubs get more fans to do it than we do.

3 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I can assure you a loan is not a loss. There are not a set of accounts on the planet that show a loan as a loss, well except Donald Trumps accounts. The only contributing factor  factor any loss would be the outgoings to finance the loan. In this case I.e £200,000 a year.  You cannot attribute a twenty years cost to one years accounts. 

The P and L which is a loss of 1 million pounds includes this cost. Funded by a balance sheet item of a loan. You and I can go into politic speak about describing the same thing in two different ways. I do understand what you are saying.

What I will say is the cost up front is probably set off against losses that would be incurred by paying to maintain the fully grass pitch over time. ie a P and L hit now for the greater good, as you say funded by the government but in time repayable.

What is more concerning is that wages matched turnover because "we done well" as per Jim McMahons comments.

Some finance model that. As I say again that's why we are pinching the pennies.

1 minute ago, David said:

But St.Mirren and Kilmarnock don’t seem to have quite the same amount of ‘stay-away’ fans as we do?

1 minute ago, MJC said:

But St.Mirren and Kilmarnock don’t seem to have quite the same amount of ‘stay-away’ fans as we do?

Potentially Killies support comes from a larger geographical area than ours. 

1 minute ago, MJC said:

Well, we don't know that, do we? You'd need to look at the different sizes of the towns. Paisley has a population twice the size of Motherwell, and while Kilmarnock isn't quite as big, it still has a more significant population than Motherwell.

So, as a percentage of "stay away" fans it could be that they have more than we do?

Just now, wunderwell said:

The P and L which is a loss of 1 million pounds includes this cost. Funded by a balance sheet item of a loan. You and I can go into politic speak about describing the same thing in two different ways. I do understand what you are saying.

What I will say is the cost up front is probably set off against losses that would be incurred by paying to maintain the fully grass pitch over time. ie a P and L hit now for the greater good, as you say funded by the government but in time repayable.

What is more concerning is that wages matched turnover because "we done well" as per Jim McMahons comments.

Some finance model that. As I say again that's why we are pinching the pennies.

Yes the loss of one million quid will include the cost of financing the loan. The spend of £1 million quid on the pitch did not cause a £1 million pound loss. At most the cost of financing that £1 million pound pitch was £50,000 per annum on the 20 year interest free loan -apologies had to correct my previous figure. The cost up front of £1 million for the pitch came from the £3.5 million quid loan that was sitting in the clubs accounts. Folk can dress it up any way they like but the cost of the renovations are insignificant in terms of the operating loss.

12 minutes ago, MJC said:

Both towns have larger populations. Not sure how you could measure stay-away fans, given there is no figure for total fans.

Edit: as David said

Edited by bobbybingo

4 minutes ago, David said:

Well, we don't know that, do we? You'd need to look at the different sizes of the towns. Paisley has a population twice the size of Motherwell, and while Kilmarnock isn't quite as big, it still has a more significant population than Motherwell.

So, as a percentage of "stay away" fans it could be that they have more than we do?

Perhaps yes. But at the same time in St.Mirren’s case, with Paisley, would they not have at least as much if not twice more the amount of football fans who follow the Old Firm in their town? Given their proximity to Glasgow then it’s hard to think otherwise surely? 

Kilmarnock are a bit more out of the way, but the town and general area will almost certainly have more Celtic/Rangers fans than those who support Killie I would have thought?

• David locked this topic