2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

Just now, robsterwood said:

It is about ambition and speculating. A proven goal scorer for a few grand extra that we could make back by place in table and cup run. Have also money from players we sold wilkinon and Turnbull. 

What if he gets injured in his first training session? (I realise this can happen with any signing but if you're paying that much a week its a massive gamble)

Also how do the other players feel knowing the big mental Dutch guy in the corner is on 3 times more than them and he looks half arsed half the time

1 minute ago, wellgirl said:

I don't agree. We made an offer and other clubs offered more and he's made his choice and that's it. 

If we matched Killie. A similar size club. He may have chosen us as he's played for us before but not to be. Was so hoping to see him and Bair.

1 minute ago, robsterwood said:

If we matched Killie. A similar size club. He may have chosen us as he's played for us before but not to be. Was so hoping to see him and Bair.

We can't afford 7k a week. That's obvious 

1 hour ago, wellup83 said:

I'd rather we didn't break the bank for him. This is nothing but an example of an agent trying to create a bidding war. Let him go.

I'd rather we spent a bit of the budget on keeping Spittal.

I agree, I don't think we should deviate from our wage structure (albeit I have no knowledge of what this is) for anybody, just personal opinion. Spittal has been an excellent signing, quite an underrated player I think. Good luck to the new signings - if Devine can play on either side that gives us some good options in wide areas. I'm quietly optimistic for the remainder of the season, be good to get another forward in before the deadline..! One more would give us a 1st team squad of 23 presuming nobody departs. As others have mentioned, Kettlewell and co. have done a pretty good job of trimming the squad down.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bart Verheul said:

What if he gets injured in his first training session? (I realise this can happen with any signing but if you're paying that much a week its a massive gamble)

Also how do the other players feel knowing the big mental Dutch guy in the corner is on 3 times more than them and he looks half arsed half the time

Any signings a gamble. It may inspire others to reach his level. Done if the on Lian guys will be on good money anyway.

1 minute ago, robsterwood said:

It is about ambition and speculating. A proven goal scorer for a few grand extra that we could make back by place in table and cup run. Have also money from players we sold wilkinon and Turnbull. 

He goes into the dressing room where everyone knows he's on 7k a week while they're on less than half that.

Not exactly a motivator.

Killie will probably be in the top 6 on current form so we play them on Saturday then don't have to give him a second thought after that.

• Like 1

Just now, robsterwood said:

I would imagine if it's us against Ross county or at Johnston. Van veen would be the difference. Look at the draws we had against them.

We can't afford his wages, if the figures quoted are anywhere near accurate. I have no problem with that. 

He promised Groningen 30 goals this season. There are no guarantees.

Just now, santheman said:

He goes into the dressing room where everyone knows he's on 7k a week while they're on less than half that.

Not exactly a motivator.

Killie will probably be in the top 6 on current form so we play them on Saturday then don't have to give him a second thought after that.

If your happy with bottom 6 and avoiding Killie. It's not too ambitious. He was our player of the year. 

Just now, bobbybingo said:

We can't afford his wages, if the figures quoted are anywhere near accurate. I have no problem with that. 

He promised Groningen 30 goals this season. There are no guarantees.

I actually don't agree we couldn't afford his wage. On £7 grand a week it would cost £150,000 until season end. I don't have any doubt we could find that type of money but should we with the inherent risks .. no , not for me.

5 minutes ago, Bart Verheul said:

Stick a league table up on the wall for them to look at?

Show them a video highlights of the season?

I'm guessing the players we have know they are shite but if any of them are struggling with the concept it would be easy enough to explain it.

To be honest if that's the best we can sign we should not be in the Premier League. Total farce of a club. No CEO, no money, a hard core support of about 4000. To think we used to be a credible force in Scotland. Those days are gone and will not return.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ppower said:

To be honest if that's the best we can sign we should not be in the Premier League. Total farce of a club. No CEO, no money, a hard core support of about 4000. To think we used to be a credible force in Scotland. Those days are gone and will not return.

You're not obligated to the team

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I actually don't agree we couldn't afford his wage. On £7 grand a week it would cost £150,000 until season end. I don't have any doubt we could find that type of money but should we with the inherent risks .. no , not for me.

Totally agree. It's not a ridiculous gamble. It's what we could make from I firm match in cup or a couple of league places. We getn TV cup money too. It wouldn't break the bank. My son and I do disappointed we didn't get van veen.

1 minute ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Why spend £150,000 on a striker who scores goals when you can spend it on three wingbacks on 6 month deals?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Stick a league table up on the wall for them to look at?

Show them a video highlights of the season?

I'm guessing the players we have know they are shite but if any of them are struggling with the concept it would be easy enough to explain it.

That could certainly work as long as he delivers. If he doesn't, very different story.

3 minutes ago, ppower said:

We aren't a farce of a club. The work that Motherwell do in the local community bears that out. If you think we are a farce why support them?

3 minutes ago, ppower said:

How do you define 'a credible force in Scotland'?

• David locked this topic