2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

39 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Perhaps Kettlewell doesn't want to put a 18 year old forward with very little first team experience straight into the first team given the league position we've been in lately. Obviously he rates him as he's been on the bench for the last couple of games. 

Absolutely. Mark Ferrie looks nowhere near ready to step into the first team, even as a sub. He only had very limited gametime at Stenhousemuir. He may be a good prospect and hopefully, we'll develop him, but he needs time. 

Oli Shaw has some nice touches and had a couple of assists but he doesn't look to be a finisher. Something strange about the loan deal,as has been alluded to.

As things stand, the Bair is our No 1, with Vale looking to be a decent No 2, albeit on limited evidence. He looked sharp and pacy on Tuesday and took his goal well. Defenders won't push him around either. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, steelboy said:

We will probably sign him in the summer and extend Obika as well.  

Yeah, and we'll probably double season ticket prices, replace the pitch with shitty plastic, paint the stairs with paint that never dries, and put marbles in the pies and pish in the drinks. Probably.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Yeah, and we'll probably double season ticket prices, replace the pitch with shitty plastic, paint the stairs with paint that never dries, and put marbles in the pies and pish in the drinks. Probably.

Tbf they did increase season tickets, fuck the park up and put stupid railings on the stairs the last couple of summers so you never know. 

I don't use the pie stalls but people around me seem to love them and can't go 25 minutes without one so they must be decent. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

And the rivers of pish will flow again down the stairs in the East Stand.

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

All I would say was of those 16 appearances how many were starts?  I don't see him starting many but it at least gives cover for Bair and Vale as I wouldn't rely on Obika being fit

We are actually unbeaten in the games “Super Oli “ has started…….the rest have mainly been 70/80 mins plus when we were chasing games

Obviously SK agin feels he is someone he can work on

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, David said:

I'm not sure what kind of player is going to be sold on coming in as a third-choice striker at Motherwell. Our options are limited there.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Sometimes, if all you need is a 3rd or 4th choice striker with experience of our league that's willing to play for us knowing they'll spend most of their time on the bench, then that is exactly what you get.

And if they improve over the weeks to earn a starting spot, then that's a bonus.

6 hours ago, mio said:

I like SK, I think he’s done a good job since he came but what he sees in Ollie Shaw is beyond me. 
Bair is doing really well, the lad Vale looks like a potentially great loan deal, we have young Ferrie as back up who I think has looked decent and deserves more time on the park and Obika stealing a wage until he gets fit again. 

you never know, he might be a new player since I last saw him but I doubt it.im sticking by my view of him as the 2024 version of John hendry.

Given only 2 weeks ago we started a game with 1 striker on the pitch & no recognised strikers on the bench then i have no issue with Shaw being here as an option.

I would be very surprised if he is considered a starter, but as a squad and bench filler then he is better than heehaw

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Big Stall said:

Given only 2 weeks ago we started a game with 1 striker on the pitch & no recognised strikers on the bench then i have no issue with Shaw being here as an option.

I would be very surprised if he is considered a starter, but as a squad and bench filler then he is better than heehaw

was that the other japanese striker we were looking at along with danzaki ??

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

Exactly what I was thinking.

Sometimes, if all you need is a 3rd or 4th choice striker with experience of our league that's willing to play for us knowing they'll spend most of their time on the bench, then that is exactly what you get.

And if they improve over the weeks to earn a starting spot, then that's a bonus.

If Shaw stayed at Barnsley he would probably be 4th or 5th choice anyway so being 3rd choice here he probably finds a better opportunity 

In the summer Shaw was a decent option given his knowledge of Scottish football but he didn’t make the impact I’d hoped for but I’m also a believer in giving a player 6 months at a new club and with SK’s success with Bair here’s hoping he can improve. 

52 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

In the summer Shaw was a decent option given his knowledge of Scottish football but he didn’t make the impact I’d hoped for but I’m also a believer in giving a player 6 months at a new club and with SK’s success with Bair here’s hoping he can improve. 

I'm happy hes back. 

• David locked this topic