Season 23/24 Dundee v Motherwell 06/08/23

SteelmaninOZ

Law 9 (The Ball In and Out of Play) says:

The ball is out of play when:

• it has wholly passed over the goal line or touchline on the ground or in the air
  • play has been stopped by the referee
  • it touches a match official, remains on the field of play and:
    • a team starts a promising attack or
    • the ball goes directly into the goal or
    • the team in possession of the ball changes
      In all these cases, play is restarted with a dropped ball.

The ball is in play at all other times when it touches a match official and when it rebounds off a goalpost, crossbar or corner flagpost and remains on the field of play.

48 minutes ago, numpty said:

Law 9 (The Ball In and Out of Play) says:

In that case law 666 applies " if the match and VAR officials do not see or act on any infringement then it shall be accepted that the alleged infringement never happened and Play shall continue with no sanction" as I said never a penalty 😉 

57 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Wouldn't that make it legal to kick the ball out of his hands and/or tackle the keeper?

It is a foul if an OPPONENT does that. But it is not a foul if a player from your own side knocks the ball loose, accidentally or otherwise. Essentially Casey could not foul his own goalkeeper.  It is quite straight forward if you differentiate between the actions of an opponent and those of a team mate. 

The ball is not out of play when it is the goalkeepers hands. But an OPPONENT cannot touch him or the ball to knock it loose. That is the protection built into the laws. It really comes down to that. So a penalty could have been given against Casey or, if he had knocked the ball loose, an opponent could have knocked it into the net for a goal.

There have been examples of teammates accidentally knocking the ball loose and play continuing. Whether or not it leads to a goal.

6 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

No it's not, all of the other players are wandering back to their positions ready for Kelly to kick it or throw it, thats when it's back in active play, never a penalty.

I think it boils down to, is the ball in play or not?  We need a referee to step in here and confirm. I used to be a referee but laws have been modified so much since I last read the rules I can’t categorically say you are wrong but I am not familiar with the term “in active Play” being used in the rules.  for me it’s either in play or not. 

It's just Crags shouting "feed the bear and he will score" a few times.

For those complaining about our wing backs not being dynamic enough, O'Donnell with a great assist and Souaré bursting his bollocks to be the first man in the box for the goal.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

It's just Crags shouting "feed the bear and he will score" a few times.

For those complaining about our wing backs not being dynamic enough, O'Donnell with a great assist and Souaré bursting his bollocks to be the first man in the box for the goal.

Aye but steelboy says he pish.....

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, weeyin said:

Wouldn't that make it legal to kick the ball out of his hands and/or tackle the keeper?

No, if an opponent did that it would be a foul. The match is still ongoing when the goalkeeper has the ball in his hands which is why if there is an injury, for example, the goalkeeper needs to put the ball out of play to stop the game.

• Like 1