Season 23/24 Dundee v Motherwell 06/08/23

SteelmaninOZ

Point away from home first day of the season is never bad. Unsurprised to hear that the wing backs were perhaps culpable at the goal. Neither have convinced against lower league sides so definitely had concerns there before the game..

As I said, given the circumstances, you take the point. Team just promoted in the first game was always going to be tricky. Some previous Motherwell sides would have lost that game having conceded an equaliser when we did...

3 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Point away from home first day of the season is never bad. Unsurprised to hear that the wing backs were perhaps culpable at the goal. Neither have convinced against lower league sides so definitely had concerns there before the game..

As I said, given the circumstances, you take the point. Team just promoted in the first game was always going to be tricky. Some previous Motherwell sides would have lost that game having conceded an equaliser when we did...

Not O'Donnell's biggest fan, but assuming the boy Cameron is a midfielder, he has run off his man, not sure who that is ? 

Dundee deserved a draw but that was a cheap goal.

Apart from mccowan and Cameron Dundee aren’t that great but we struggled to deal with those two all day. Left back is still an issue.

I thought we had a few decent performers right enough, special mention of Miller who I thought for a 16yr old in those conditions was excellent. Impressively strong for a lad that age, great little ball through to odonnell for the goal and great effort at the end.

Piss poor. 

Neither striker kicked their own arse in the second half yet we persisted with them almost until the end. Bair took his goal well but they are both rotten, Bair looked slightly better which is mainly just a reflection on how bad Wilkinson is, the guy can barely move. 

Relying on SOD going forward is tragic and Soare is unbelievably bad. He should have been hooked 5 minutes into the second half but again Kettlewell waited until we had thrown away the points. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

15 minutes ago, Chanzeypopz said:

Feel like we were not given a clear penalty near the end but at the same time got lucky with them only hitting the post to go 2-1 up, I'l take a draw

Didn’t see that but we had a clear corner kick from Dundee defender blocking Millers shot with header  but both ref and linesman missed it 

9 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Didn’t see that but we had a clear corner kick from Dundee defender blocking Millers shot with header  but both ref and linesman missed it 

Was pretty blatant from where i was sitting, Should have at least been VAR checked but then again Dens is a bit of a dump and probably doesnt have it installed 😂 Didnt have a smoking area and easily the smallest toilet iv ever seen

Thought the ref was pretty decent.  Got all the bookings right. 

Other than the deflection from Miller where we should have got a corner I thought he was pretty spot on with most decisions. 

If the penalty claim is for S'OD at the back post I reckon he got that right as well. S'OD was already off balanced and the ball cleared before he rolled over the back of their player. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chanzeypopz said:

Was pretty blatant from where i was sitting, Should have at least been VAR checked but then again Dens is a bit of a dump and probably doesnt have it installed 😂 Didnt have a smoking area and easily the smallest toilet iv ever seen

Dont smoke then and hold it in.

Midfield for me were fantastic this is the Slattery we saw when he first arrived but better and young Miller just getting more confident on the ball by the game.

Only real negative if I was to pick something that stood out a bit was the downgrade in wing backs from last season it’s clearly visible we are going to ship a lot of goals because of this.

Good point onwards and upwards.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Pretty much my view. Certainly not the fixture you'd pick for an opener but a draw is decent enough.

One of the worst piches we'll play on this season but that was the same for both sides. Given his recent comments, SK will not be happy at the goal we lost. Wing back positions do need to be strengthened.   Good to see McGinley and Efford get some game time, but maybe the condions wouldn't have suited the latter. Finally well done Theo Bair/Blair/Bear - great to score on your debut especially away from home.  

A draw away in poor conditions to the newly promoted side is not a bad start. Mind 4 of our starting 11 were making their debut in this league today.

Thought the 2 forwards actually did fairly well considering they have never played together. Good positional sense and finish from Bair for the goal.

Blaney may offer a balance in defence but perhaps Mugabi got the nod today given Dundee's front pairing were both 6ft+? Slattery seems a lot sharper than last season, Miller looked composed in the middle.

Obviously the goal conceded wasn't great defensively - allowing the cross to come in too easily and then a free header. On Souaré - he only started 6 games last season and needs a chance to settle in with a run of games, same goes for any new signing, in my opinion. McGinley, whilst I've nothing against the guy, does not fill me with great confidence any time I see him play. Ewan Wilson showed some promise in his league cup appearances, thought he may have come on at LB instead - but I'm not the boss..! Just a few thoughts.

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Piss poor. 

Neither striker kicked their own arse in the second half yet we persisted with them almost until the end. Bair took his goal well but they are both rotten, Bair looked slightly better which is mainly just a reflection on how bad Wilkinson is, the guy can barely move. 

Relying on SOD going forward is tragic and Soare is unbelievably bad. He should have been hooked 5 minutes into the second half but again Kettlewell waited until we had thrown away the points. 

Bit harsh in your assessment there but you are definitely right about O’Donnell, Soare and Wilkinson. None of them look like they will be able to make a positive impact in the team this season, on the early evidence at least. Bair looked surprisingly decent in the first half and took the goal well but was anonymous in the second half, thought to be fair to him he got no support from the middle. 

53 minutes ago, Chanzeypopz said:

Were you smoking in the toilet Chanzey? 🤔

Disappointing not to win but gladly take a point away on reflection, poor conditions as well

Seen Kettlewell has only lost 2 out of 19 in charge , and none away from home , couldn’t ask for more really

Hopefully kick on with 2 home games now in the league , and of course an important cup game in between

Pretty even game in bad conditions. I thought our midfield showed in patches that they could be very good this season, but we did lack a cynical touch for some of their breakaways.

In general everyone looked OK, and we did a good job of getting the initiative back after their goal, and finished the game piling the pressure on them.

I thought wilkinson looked a bit sharper, and he holds the ball up well.