Cup game Queen of the South v Motherwell 18/07/2023

SteelmaninOZ

1 minute ago, grizzlyg said:

Spittal doubters would have had rollercoaster day tonight.  Boooo yer rubbish....goalllllllll....yer rotten ....Goalllllll.  pen....FFS....get aff........pen shoot out....aw naw..no Spittal......goalllllllll

Lol

Spittal is a big part of this current squad and proved that months ago. Extend him. 

3 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Spittal doubters would have had rollercoaster day tonight.  Boooo yer rubbish....goalllllllll....yer rotten ....Goalllllll.  pen....FFS....get aff........pen shoot out....aw naw..no Spittal......goalllllllll

Lol

Goals and assists by Spittal are ignored. Each mis-placed pass or other negative is highlighted gleefully

1 minute ago, wellfan said:

Spittal is a big part of this current squad and proved that months ago. Extend him. 

I didn't want him when he signed but he's won me over,he's definitely one of our most important players.

• Like 1

I'm afraid in Scottish football there is a bigger quality gap between 2 and 3 than there is between 3 and 42.

Cup shocks used to actually be shocks.

They happen multiple times every round of matches now.

We should be winning our two home ties and getting through but definitely shouldn't be taking Queens Park lightly.

The Mugabi /Lamie partnership just doesn’t work . This is feeding into the team in general compared to the Casey /Butcher partnership where it felt we had a good solid foundation .

Think we’ve given them umpteen chances to prove they can do it but time and time again  over the last few seasons the combination doesn’t work .

Persevering with them imo will cost us big time this season

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mintymac said:

The Mugabi /Lamie partnership just doesn’t work . This is feeding into the team in general compared to the Casey /Butcher partnership where it felt we had a good solid foundation .

Think we’ve given them umpteen chances to prove they can do it but time and time again  over the last few seasons the combination doesn’t work .

Persevering with them imo will cost us big time this season

Remember it's a back three so you need to factor in McGinn has been third wheel in both lineups. 

If anyone thinks that simply putting Blaney and Casey in for Lamie and Mugabi will be a vast improvement, they're wrong. Blaney and Casey are solid enough defenders when they have had Butcher organising them and pushing them around. Dundee United last day of the season showed that they were lesser players without a talker alongside them. Either we try an experienced player like McGinn in the middle of the three or we need to find a Aldred/Hartley type figure on loan for six months. If you're playing a back three, the guy in the middle of the three has to have a degree 9f football intelligence and leadership.  Don't see an obvious candidate in the squad currently...

• Like 1

Tonight was always going to be a tough fixture.

Away from home on a plastic pitch only 3 days after our first competitive match of the season.

Its no surprise that SK rotated the team (and defence in particular) as he has to protect certain players from an injury that could ruin theirs and our season.

We are already without Butcher for a good few months. We cant afford to lose Blaney or Casey at this point, so Mugabi and Lamie had to play.

I would doubt very much that we will see them again as a partnership unless its as a last resort.

Sounds like we created more than enough chances to have won the game (18 with 12 on target) and SK has questioned the award of the penalty. QoS had 5 attempts at goal and scored 3. General play doesnt seem to be an issue, but being better in both boxes is a must.

Overall, disappointing not to win the game but we did get the bonus point so its not a disaster.

Be interested to hear from anyone at the game how Miller and Oxborough played, as well as the new boy Soare?

20 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Tonight was always going to be a tough fixture.

Away from home on a plastic pitch only 3 days after our first competitive match of the season.

Its no surprise that SK rotated the team (and defence in particular) as he has to protect certain players from an injury that could ruin theirs and our season.

We are already without Butcher for a good few months. We cant afford to lose Blaney or Casey at this point, so Mugabi and Lamie had to play.

I would doubt very much that we will see them again as a partnership unless its as a last resort.

Sounds like we created more than enough chances to have won the game (18 with 12 on target) and SK has questioned the award of the penalty. QoS had 5 attempts at goal and scored 3. General play doesnt seem to be an issue, but being better in both boxes is a must.

Overall, disappointing not to win the game but we did get the bonus point so its not a disaster.

Be interested to hear from anyone at the game how Miller and Oxborough played, as well as the new boy Soare?

Actually forgot Qots played on one of those god awful pitches

Incredible support down in Dumfries tonight, we probably deserved better but, it’s July so let’s not get too carried away. QOTS are well organised and exploited our defensive weaknesses on the counter, that’s pretty much it. We were the better team for most of the game, but we were poor defensively. Not just in Lamie and mugabi, but In midfield too. I’m sure SK will be drilling it into them, but we can’t go into the league season like that. We need Casey and Butcher, our depth in defence is really worrying.

2 minutes ago, Tamwell said:

Incredible support down in Dumfries tonight, we probably deserved better but, it’s July so let’s not get too carried away. QOTS are well organised and exploited our defensive weaknesses on the counter, that’s pretty much it. We were the better team for most of the game, but we were poor defensively. Not just in Lamie and mugabi, but In midfield too. I’m sure SK will be drilling it into them, but we can’t go into the league season like that. We need Casey and Butcher, our depth in defence is really worrying.

Hiya btw! Don’t think I’ve posted In aboot 10 years 😂 there’s my tuppence worth anyway

• Like 3

11 hours ago, MJC said:

It’s not “just a cup game”. These games are important and this competition is important. We’ve been poor defensively tonight and if we draw/lose on penalties then it will hamper our chances of progressing in the last 16.

These are the new preseason friendly games but in a cup group ,  they are competitive and gives manager a chance at real games albeit against lower league opponents , to sort out the squad before league starts. Calm doon . Manager is doing everything right up to the now as far as i can see.

2 minutes ago, stv said:

These are the new preseason friendly games but in a cup group ,  they are competitive and gives manager a chance at real games albeit against lower league opponents , to sort out the squad before league starts. Calm doon . Manager is doing everything right up to the now as far as i can see.

You calm doon.

It’s a match thread to discuss the lineups and the game itself. Last night we shipped three goals and drew with a lower league side. That’s a statement of fact and we will need to be better in the remaining two games in order to progress and hopefully do so as group winners. There may be a pre-season element to these games but they are still important to us as a club as a Cup run would be great for us.

35 minutes ago, MJC said:

You calm doon.

It’s a match thread to discuss the lineups and the game itself. Last night we shipped three goals and drew with a lower league side. That’s a statement of fact and we will need to be better in the remaining two games in order to progress and hopefully do so as group winners. There may be a pre-season element to these games but they are still important to us as a club as a Cup run would be great for us.

Again, the manager is using these to sort out his squad , look at the big picture. I’m calm because he is doing the right thing , due diligence i think its called. Where else can he see if they work together a leauge game against St Mirren perhaps.