Season 23/24 predictions

MJC

So a new season starts on Saturday, what’s everyone’s thoughts?

The summer transfer business hasn’t exactly set the Heather on fire so far but only time will tell how it will pan out and I don’t really see anything in the other nine non OF sides to suggest that the league will be anything other than tight this season.

We could well be relegated but we could well finish 3rd, nothing would surprise me.

The Cups will bring nothing but disappointment i reckon, starting with a defeat in Paisley in a fortnights time.

I do have a feeling that one way or another, Stuart Kettlewell will not be our manager come the end of the season. Either we will have a disaster or a season and he will be sacked/resign or he will be poached by Aberdeen once they punt Robson and we have got ourselves into a position to challenge for a European place.

Elsewhere i except Celtic to win at least a double with one of Rangers, Hearts or Aberdeen winning the other remaining Cup.

10 minutes ago, MJC said:

The summer transfer business hasn’t exactly set the Heather on fire so far but only time will tell how it will pan out and I don’t really see anything in the other nine non OF sides to suggest that the league will be anything other than tight this season.

We could well be relegated but we could well finish 3rd, nothing would surprise me.

The Cups will bring nothing but disappointment i reckon, starting with a defeat in Paisley in a fortnights time.

I do have a feeling that one way or another, Stuart Kettlewell will not be our manager come the end of the season. Either we will have a disaster or a season and he will be sacked/resign or he will be poached by Aberdeen once they punt Robson and we have got ourselves into a position to challenge for a European place.

Elsewhere i except Celtic to win at least a double with one of Rangers, Hearts or Aberdeen winning the other remaining Cup.

Well thats covered all eventualities there then.

Looking at our current squad and the players we've lost this summer, I'm thinking we'll finish around 7th or 8th. 

I think Dundee, St Johnstone, and Ross County will be worse than us, but the rest I'm not sure about. I don't see us challenging for the top six unless we see one of our forwards have a standout year like Van Veen did last season. 

I think Spittal will be a key player for us this season, with Lennon Miller being the one who gets fans off their feet. Obviously we can’t pin too much expectation on him as he’s only going to turn 17 this month but this could be a big season for him. 

I think we will finish somewhere between 6th and 10th. We'll go far enough in one cup to get us starting to dream.

In other news, we'll have to put up with several posters irrationally blaming Spittal / Slattery /SO'D / Bair / *A N Other, for all our poor results, one of us will even blame Alan Burrows and / or Nicola Sturgeon.

At least one poster will claim during the first round of fixtures that "If we lose this next game we are certainties for relegation"

Is that specific enough?

I reckon we will make the top 6 this year and earn a chance at a European spot and have a good run in both cups, or just as easily be pish and end up 9th or 10th

Who knows how the season will go, only certainty is one of the ugly sisters will win the league the rest will fight for 3rd.

1 hour ago, MJC said:

Right. So, any thoughts on the season ahead then?

Good run in one or both of the cups maybe even a trip to hampden is the most desirable for me, mid table or top six , both these would be a good season for me.
Playing well n scoring a few goals would help. I think it may take a few games for the team to gel but every confidence in the manager to get them together he seems like he has a plan within his budget constraints.

51 minutes ago, MJC said:

I think Spittal will be a key player for us this season, with Lennon Miller being the one who gets fans off their feet. Obviously we can’t pin too much expectation on him as he’s only going to turn 17 this month but this could be a big season for him. 

Cant play him too much or he will run out of steam ,its a long season for a youngster.

Hard to judge until the new guys bed in and we see what they’ve got at this level.

For what it’s worth I think we have 3/4 key players that if they stay fit (get fit soon in Butchers case) we’ll be ok, just. However If we spend any length of time without Kelly, Casey, Butcher and/or Spittal I think we’re bang in trouble. 

16 minutes ago, stv said:

Cant play him too much or he will run out of steam ,its a long season for a youngster.

Definitely, he’s not going to be a regular in the team throughout the season but I can see him having that ‘wow’ factor now and again and I think he’ll make an impact. It’s too early to say if he’s going to have a Turnbull type impact in the longer term but there is definitely cause for optimism around him.

4 hours ago, MJC said:

So Aberdeen are going to punt Robson cause they're having a shit season  and win a cup in the same year. i can only imagine they'll win the cup under kettlewell then.

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

League: 8th or 9th

Cups: hopefully at least a semi final if we get kind draw

Key players: Kelly , butcher, Casey, Spittal, Miller

New signings : need to be given a chance and encouraged

Standard of my jokes: No Change (sorry folks)

Regards to last point, my mate is at Kelvingrove bandstand tonight seeing Del Amitri, all my other mates knew about it..as usual I was The Last to Know!!....ba dum tssssss

Based only on how we navigated the League Cup group with half a squad and players in various stages of fitness, I think we will have a decent enough season. It would have been easy enough to make a rickets of that as some other clubs have done but we didnt and although it wasnt all sunshine and roses, we did well enough to deserve our seeding in the knockout stages.

We look as though we will be set up difficult to beat and as long as we dont have to see Lamie and Bevis together at any point, I dont think we will be shipping that many goals.

How far up the league we finish and how far we go in the cups is going to come down to how we do at the other end, but I dont think we will be in trouble of relegation.

Slattery and Spittal look fit and in good form. Hopefully Davor gets up to speed and challenges young Miller for that 3rd midfield spot.

I think Soare will come onto a game once his fitness improves. I still think we could do with someone to replace Max, but SODs will do meantime.

Up front the challenge will be to keep Obika fit. He may not chip in with many goals but his hold up play is good and he brings others into the game.

Big Wilko looks like he has ability, but whether he will get the pace of the game remains to be seen. Looks like its by-passing him at the moment. But willing to give him time to adjust to a new league.

The Mika signing is the one that excites as he could be the quality that we are looking for in the final third. If he can hit the ground running we could have a good season.

My predictions

League - 6th

League Cup - beat St Mirren but go out to one of the uglies in the next round.

Scottish Cup - semi final.