Hearts v Motherwell 03/09/2023

SteelmaninOZ

On 9/7/2023 at 11:35 AM, MJC said:

Every clubs support has a bad element who can be aggressive and hostile to opposition fans, us included. Indeed we have an element of our support who are aggressive and hostile to other Motherwell fans.

I appreciate a lot of Motherwell fans from the generation slightly older than myself report plenty of bad experiences with Hearts fans particularly during the 70s, 80s and into the 90s but I’ve never personally seen anything from them to suggest they are in any way worse than the rest. For me Aberdeen fans are alot more aggressive, angry and downright nastier as a collective than either of the Edinburgh clubs.

I was wondering when you'd jump in to defend Hearts supporters. You even managed to pull our own support into the discussion as well, so bonus points for that.

Thus far, Hearts have a great stadium, a club song that makes your balls tingle when you hear it, and fans who aren't as bad as some of our fans have experienced. 

Some club, those Jam Tarts.

• Confused 1

Just reporting my own experience of it all.  

I have no doubt that there are other Motherwell fans who’s experience with Hearts and their fans is different and therefore they hold a degree of disdain for them. In my personal experience they are largely alright, if a bit on the arrogant side in some cases. 

Would you prefer if I just nodded along and went “I fucking hate those Scumbos! Just as bigoted as Rangers! John Colquhoun! Neil Berry! Gorgie Road! Texaco Cup! FHW! Bastards! Grrrrrrrrrrghhh!” ??

On 9/11/2023 at 8:00 PM, wellfan said:

Given he loves Hearts and hates the National Team, I think MJC could be Craig '4-6-0' Levein.

I don’t love Hearts or hate the National team. 

I’m not a Hearts supporter but do have a grudging degree of respect for them as a club for their strong identify and impressive support. I actually did the Tynecastle museum tour quite recently and it gives a real insight into their origins and history and their proud standing as a club.

“We don’t have supporters, we have the heart and soul of Edinburgh” is a slogan which you see around the ground and the museum and I think that’s impressive, as football club slogans go. Unlike so many non Old Firm clubs in Scotland they are a club which stand alone with their own roots and identity and don’t worry or fret about how they look to OF fans or have this desperate need to be an “alternative to the Old Firm” or anything. 

And yes, I fully accept that there will be some arseholes in their fanbase, just like any other club.

The National Team I am simply indifferent to. I have done the stadium/museum tour at Hampden too though I might add.

22 minutes ago, MJC said:

Unlike so many non Old Firm clubs in Scotland they are a club which stand alone with their own roots and identity and don’t worry or fret about how they look to OF fans or have this desperate need to be an “alternative to the Old Firm” or anything. 

Who are all these clubs?

I don't understand what this MJC abuse is all about. Seems personal from what I have read and not solely based on his comments. I don't know him or anything about him other than what he posts on here, but for some reason he has got under a few folks skin.

Is it because he gave his honest view regarding Hearts being a club with their own identity who have a large fan base? Or because in his opinion they can generate a great atmosphere in a stadium whose construction helps to make it an intimidating experience for visiting teams and fans? Or is it because he personally has not had any run ins with their fans? Or is it because he does not hate them like he is meant to? I think everything he said is accurate no matter how unpalatable some may find his honesty. And I have not read one response that provided any evidence he is wrong.

He also commented that all Clubs have a small proportion of fans who can cause issues. That is also true and it is fact that Motherwell are no exception. Some on here appear to take exception to that home truth. And before I also get slaughtered, I thought our fans on Sunday were fantastic...before, during and after the game. As they have been all season at any game I have attended.

I do get that MJC comes across as overly negative at times, especially when forecasting the result of an upcoming fixture. I actually find his predictions quite amusing and his about turn when he is proven entirely wrong even more so. Dare I say that might be just his way of having a wee laugh.

I detest that bloody song Hearts fans sing. To many bad memories. So I disagree with him on that front. But it is part of their identity and it is miles better than anything we have produced. I certainly don't believe a rendition of 'Up The Well' on Saturday would inspire any of our players or encourage the home support to join in. And it certainly did not last long as part of the set pre match entertainment a few years ago. I also disagree with his opinion of International football but he is entitled to his view. I know a few folk who agree with him, for a number of reasons.

I understood a Fan Forum was a place where fans could post their opinions on all things football. Mostly about their own club but also about football in general, including opposition Clubs. MJC's Hearts comments were made in the Hearts match day thread so I see nothing wrong with that. Am I wrong?

Or is Steelmen Online a forum where being positive about any other Club leaves you open to abuse, no matter how well you back up those comments.  Even from someone labelled as a Moderator? Similarly if you express any negativity regards Motherwell or our fans. Nobody is going to agree 100% with everything that is posted and that is fair enough and expected. Healthy in many ways. That should stimulate a reasoned debate and an interesting discussion but that is certainly not the case this time around. In my humble opinion some folk need to take a good long look at themselves and maybe even grow up a touch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Calm down. 

I'd wager that if you go onto any football forum up and down the land and proceed to throw compliments at a team many fans see as a rival, you'll be met with a certain level of disagreement. 

To term it "abuse" is stretching it a bit. If anyone had overstepped the mark it would have been addressed. They haven't though, so MJC will just need to accept that a fair portion of the members on this forum aren't keen on Hearts, their fans or their songs.

4 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

Who are all these clubs?

Well us for starters. Also I think you could say the same for Partick Th, Killie and a fair few others in the west of Scotland. Even if you look east, north east to be more precise, Aberdeen seem to base a lot of their identity nowadays on their hatred and rivalry with Rangers 

22 minutes ago, David said:

Calm down. 

I'd wager that if you go onto any football forum up and down the land and proceed to throw compliments at a team many fans see as a rival, you'll be met with a certain level of disagreement. 

To term it "abuse" is stretching it a bit. If anyone had overstepped the mark it would have been addressed. They haven't though, so MJC will just need to accept that a fair portion of the members on this forum aren't keen on Hearts, their fans or their songs.

Yes and though I appreciate dennyc's kind words of support I don't feel that I have been on the end of any abuse over my views on Hearts on this thread. 

I simply give my opinion based on my own experiences and respect that others will have different opinions based on different experiences. I don't conform to groupthink and I am not a parrot so I'm not going to start rattling on about what Hearts fans did in the 70s (before my time) or pretending that I believe that they are worse than Aberdeen or Hibs etc. 

That's all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dennyc said:

I don't understand what this MJC abuse is all about. Seems personal from what I have read and not solely based on his comments. I don't know him or anything about him other than what he posts on here, but for some reason he has got under a few folks skin.

Is it because he gave his honest view regarding Hearts being a club with their own identity who have a large fan base? Or because in his opinion they can generate a great atmosphere in a stadium whose construction helps to make it an intimidating experience for visiting teams and fans? Or is it because he personally has not had any run ins with their fans? Or is it because he does not hate them like he is meant to? I think everything he said is accurate no matter how unpalatable some may find his honesty. And I have not read one response that provided any evidence he is wrong.

He also commented that all Clubs have a small proportion of fans who can cause issues. That is also true and it is fact that Motherwell are no exception. Some on here appear to take exception to that home truth. And before I also get slaughtered, I thought our fans on Sunday were fantastic...before, during and after the game. As they have been all season at any game I have attended.

I do get that MJC comes across as overly negative at times, especially when forecasting the result of an upcoming fixture. I actually find his predictions quite amusing and his about turn when he is proven entirely wrong even more so. Dare I say that might be just his way of having a wee laugh.

I detest that bloody song Hearts fans sing. To many bad memories. So I disagree with him on that front. But it is part of their identity and it is miles better than anything we have produced. I certainly don't believe a rendition of 'Up The Well' on Saturday would inspire any of our players or encourage the home support to join in. And it certainly did not last long as part of the set pre match entertainment a few years ago. I also disagree with his opinion of International football but he is entitled to his view. I know a few folk who agree with him, for a number of reasons.

I understood a Fan Forum was a place where fans could post their opinions on all things football. Mostly about their own club but also about football in general, including opposition Clubs. MJC's Hearts comments were made in the Hearts match day thread so I see nothing wrong with that. Am I wrong?

Or is Steelmen Online a forum where being positive about any other Club leaves you open to abuse, no matter how well you back up those comments.  Even from someone labelled as a Moderator? Similarly if you express any negativity regards Motherwell or our fans. Nobody is going to agree 100% with everything that is posted and that is fair enough and expected. Healthy in many ways. That should stimulate a reasoned debate and an interesting discussion but that is certainly not the case this time around. In my humble opinion some folk need to take a good long look at themselves and maybe even grow up a touch.

on the money     well put and written

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, MJC said:

Yes and though I appreciate dennyc's kind words of support I don't feel that I have been on the end of any abuse over my views on Hearts on this thread. 

I simply give my opinion based on my own experiences and respect that others will have different opinions based on different experiences. I don't conform to groupthink and I am not a parrot so I'm not going to start rattling on about what Hearts fans did in the 70s (before my time) or pretending that I believe that they are worse than Aberdeen or Hibs etc. 

That's all.

100%. Not everyone is going to agree with others, no matter who they are. I'm glad you haven't seen any of the replies as abuse, because I don't think we really have members here who overstep the line all that often.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJC said:

Well us for starters. Also I think you could say the same for Partick Th, Killie and a fair few others in the west of Scotland. Even if you look east, north east to be more precise, Aberdeen seem to base a lot of their identity nowadays on their hatred and rivalry with Rangers 

If I had witnessed a trainload of Motherwell fans march through Central Station at the tail end of last season singing about being Billy Boys up to their knees in f****n blood, I'd be worried we'd lost our identity, or had an unhealthy fascination with the Old Firm. But they weren't Motherwell fans. Funnily enough....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dennyc said:

I don't understand what this MJC abuse is all about...........................  In my humble opinion some folk need to take a good long look at themselves and maybe even grow up a touch.

Good post Denny. Each to their own. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2