European Adventures

Spiderpig

I do quite enjoy the throwbacks Motherwell put on their social media around this time of year. This was from yesterday, highlighting 15 years since Nancy.

https://www.facebook.com/motherwellfc/posts/pfbid028VmZxZBoNkNKLdSYPtU9ydwSVsytzvnbTebBtXGsz7TZnKms6prrxjniUue83WsWl

Any of the squad still playing?

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

Any of the squad still playing?

Jamie Murphy at Ayr Utd, Mark Reynolds at Cove Rangers, Marc Fitzpatrick at Airdrie. Chris Porter was released by Oldham at the end of last season after spending most of it out with DVT, and hasn't found another club.

• Like 1

Am I alone in almost revelling in the common sense of a first round European tie taking place in the middle of September? Oh for the happier, simpler days when European games were not only about increasing the revenue of the already bloated clubs at the top of the game. Is it a bad case of nostalgia which makes me think that the European tournaments of my youth were simply better? Scottish teams with involvement beyond Christmas Were possible and not just the domain of the old firm. I feel real sympathy for the kids of today and more recent years who have been told that, in the current reality of football, that level is not for them or their clubs because “they cannot afford it”. The people responsible for this state of affairs should hang their heads in shame.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, The African said:

Am I alone in almost revelling in the common sense of a first round European tie taking place in the middle of September? Oh for the happier, simpler days when European games were not only about increasing the revenue of the already bloated clubs at the top of the game. Is it a bad case of nostalgia which makes me think that the European tournaments of my youth were simply better? Scottish teams with involvement beyond Christmas Were possible and not just the domain of the old firm. I feel real sympathy for the kids of today and more recent years who have been told that, in the current reality of football, that level is not for them or their clubs because “they cannot afford it”. The people responsible for this state of affairs should hang their heads in shame.

Agree 100%. It's almost as if the current format, with all the qualifying rounds so ridiculously early in the season, is designed just to get all of the smaller clubs from the diddy leagues out of the way as soon as possible, to allow the focus to be on the major clubs. Another example of money ruining football. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The African said:

No, your not alone.  Canny beat big games under the lights when it is actually dark by kick off time!

Unfortunately, those that remember those days are now getting long in the tooth and the current status is just now the norm for our younger fans.

Everything is skewed in favour of the bigger clubs to the extent that most wee clubs dont even have that "punchers chance" that used to exist in knock out foorball.

The likes of Rangers and Celtic, despite there massive budgets compared to us are now diddy clubs when it comes to European football......

• Like 2

2 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

No, your not alone.  Canny beat big games under the lights when it is actually dark by kick off time!

Unfortunately, those that remember those days are now getting long in the tooth and the current status is just now the norm for our younger fans.

Everything is skewed in favour of the bigger clubs to the extent that most wee clubs dont even have that "punchers chance" that used to exist in knock out foorball.

The likes of Rangers and Celtic, despite their massive budgets compared to us are now diddy clubs when it comes to European football......

Champions league: 1 team from each country. No seeding. Straight knock out H+A

europa league: 1 cup winner team from each country. No seeding. Straight knock out H+A

conference league: same number of teams from each league. No seeding. Straight knock out H+A

no dropping down to lower tournament. When you are out you are out. 

this would also help reduce number of games players have to play. 

would help to spread money more evenly. Only “drawback” is that rich clubs will stop getting as rich. Unfortunately I don’t ever see it going back to that as it’s all about money

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

Champions league: 1 team from each country. No seeding. Straight knock out H+A

europa league: 1 cup winner team from each country. No seeding. Straight knock out H+A

conference league: same number of teams from each league. No seeding. Straight knock out H+A

no dropping down to lower tournament. When you are out you are out. 

this would also help reduce number of games players have to play. 

would help to spread money more evenly. Only “drawback” is that rich clubs will stop getting as rich. Unfortunately I don’t ever see it going back to that as it’s all about money

I think this is what most fans would prefer.

Sadly they are soon to move even further away from your proposal and go further down the route that ensures the "big" teams are guaranteed even more lucrative ties. And multiple chances to continue playing at some level if they blow it early doors. On the pretext of diminishing the threat that a European Super League proposal will raise it's head again.

The only thing that UEFA considers is money and not upsetting the German, Spanish, Italian, French and English leagues the rest are Diddy leagues as far as UEFA are concerned.

So it's make sure the big nations get as many games as possible ie get knocked out of the champions league dont worry have another go in the Europa or conference leagues etc thus generating millions in TV deals to be given back to already wealthy clubs.

The whole system is geared up to make the rich clubs and UEFA richer, with nobody giving a feck about the Diddy leagues, the whole set up is not fit for purpose.

UEFA are kinda powerless in the whole thing.

If they dont do what the big clubs want, they will just threaten a breakaway league again, which is what got us to where we are.

Unfortunately, UEFA have also realised the share of the TV revenue they can hoover up by going along for the ride is also quite lucrative for them as an organisation and individuals.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 8:55 PM, numpty said:

Jamie Murphy at Ayr Utd, Mark Reynolds at Cove Rangers, Marc Fitzpatrick at Airdrie. Chris Porter was released by Oldham at the end of last season after spending most of it out with DVT, and hasn't found another club.

Marc Fitzpatrick quit as Airdrie's assistant manager in 2019. Looks like he'd retired from playing prior to that, due to injury.