Motherwell v Livingston 30/12/2023

SteelmaninOZ

16 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Performance doesn't matter right now but you have to say if we continue to play like that for the rest of the season we will be mired in the dogfight right to the last game. I sincerely hope we have a couple of decent signings up our sleeve in the January window because that squad is pitiful.

A bit negative maybe but a good bit of truth in what you say. An odd looking line up, but at the end of the day we won and that was the important thing. It affords us some breathing space. 

I thought we started off well and could have scored a few. Once Livi scored against the run of play though, we looked a bit shaken, but fortunately recovered to restore our 2 goal lead. The second half was absolutely dire. I get that we should have adopted a slightly more cautious approach and let Livi come out a bit more but we sat back a bit too much and made it easy for them, albeit they looked poor and didn't trouble Kelly, although they troubled the woodwork. A better team would have punished us.

A good team effort and I thought Bair was excellent - his second goal was an absolute peach and would not have been out of place in the English Premier League. McGinn added some stability to our rearguard. I'm not sure what Shaw added to the team though and I hardly noticed him. Livi’s regulation goal was very soft and similar to one we conceded to Dundee a few weeks ago. On the negative side, we lost almost every aerial battle and the midfield struggled to compete, which wasn't a surprise, given the set up. 

I thought that the referee was very weak and inconsistent especially with yellow cards. He was well worked by Livingston who adopted their trademark physical and streetwise approach – that’s all they have in their locker. Bair was unlucky not to score a hat trick and we’ve seen similar efforts given in the recent past, where the “offending player” wasn’t interfering with play.   

Like many yesterday, when I saw the team selection, I thought SK had lost the plot again and feared the worst. However, we started very quickly for a change and Livingston just couldnt cope with us.

The negative aspect is that we could and should have scored 4 or 5, so when Spencer switched off and let Pitman spring our offside trap, it made for a nervy few minutes until we were able to restore the lead.

Big Theo has taken plenty pelters on here, so its only fair he should get the plaudits for his performance yesterday. His assist for Spittal showed great awareness and maturity and his finish for his second goal was just top drawer.

Now the downside. It was clear very early second half that Livvy made changes and negated what we were doing. So it was very frustrating that SK didnt alter our set up accordingly.

I get that he would be nervous about throwing away a 2 goal lead but we needed to control the midfield at that point so putting Slattery on wide right made absolutely no sense. 

Still, we got the win. The manager has bought himself some time and he will get the window to try and fix the gaps in our squad.

We are up to 8th within striking distance of 7th. After a 15 game winless run, that seems truly mental!

Happy Clappy New Year Folks!

2 hours ago, smiddy said:

sometimes yes                                                 sometimes no 😁 ,  when does neil lennon start ?????      :):):)

Quicker the better

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, weeyin said:

To nick Al Franken's quote:

I like Neil Lennon more than most of the other posters on here like Neil Lennon. And I hate Neil Lennon.

That’s why we are where we are no ambition and hire managers who have no pedigree 

20 minutes ago, Yodo said:

That’s why we are where we are no ambition and hire managers who have no pedigree 

No pedigree...... in Lennons case you missed out  no class, no managerial ability, no people who rate or like him, no Motherwell fan apart from you who wants him anywhere near Fir Park.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

No pedigree...... in Lennons case you missed out  no class, no managerial ability, no people who rate or like him, no Motherwell fan apart from you who wants him anywhere near Fir Park.

As above no lack of ambition and I’m sure there are more than me who like to see him at Fir Park 

• Haha 1