🏆SC Motherwell v Alloa 20/01/2024

SteelmaninOZ

Obviously only when when we advanced to the next round but I miss the days of watching the cup action on the BBC on a Saturday night followed by the excitement of the draw where the team names were in blue ball's instead of being numbered. Ideally it would be nice to get a lower league team in the next round again and the ease checks draw each other would do just nicely but we'll no doubt get landed with Millie or St midden away.

That first half was honking. Brutal. In saying that, we controlled the game but we had absolutely nothing upfront - no real surprises I suppose. Lennon Miller seemed to change the game, his composure almost rubs off on those around him, he’s a class act.

Gent and Montgomery on the left was pretty exciting, with the former having his best game so far and the latter getting an assist within 2 minutes on his debut, no bad! Signs of a really handy player.

We’re in the draw tomorrow and that’s all that matters in the cup.

45 minutes ago, Tamwell said:

You don’t sit in the second block do you? Some one behind me shouted “don’t let that bawbag hit it” about 2 seconds before he knocked it in the top corner. Mental.

Spittal gets some amount of stick, most of it completely unwarranted.

Agree. Good to see Kettlewell praising him after the match 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, purestate said:

By no means a perfect performance but the objective is to get to the next round and we did that.  Despite some of the comments during the game at no point did I think we wouldn’t win.  That must be the first goal Sammon scored at Fir Park and tbf if was a good finish aided by an uncharacteristic Butcher lack of challenge earlier in move.  Other than than an a weak header Alloa offered nothing other than some enthusiasm.  
We won’t be drawing St Johnstone or Ross County in the next round. 

and i HTF its not airdrie either

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

No problem with SK praising him but at same time his quality of corner kicks is shocking 

I think he's very underrated and for all his faults he scored two goals. He's an asset to Motherwell as far as I'm concerned. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chanzeypopz said:

Its a very longshot but im still checking my newsfeed daily hoping to see KVV announce his return 😔🤞

Nope he has reverted to type. His goal scoring half season at fir park was the highlight of his career,sadly not to be repeated. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stv said:

Nope he has reverted to type. His goal scoring half season at fir park was the highlight of his career,sadly not to be repeated. 

Although not sad for our bank balance. 

10 hours ago, wellgirl said:

I think he's very underrated and for all his faults he scored two goals. He's an asset to Motherwell as far as I'm concerned. 

His actual assists and goals are very good. It's just his corner kicks which are very frustrating.  Penalty was a good save and free kick was a peach

17 hours ago, wellgirl said:

You're not happy that we won then. All the SPL teams toiled by the looks of it. Nice to see you giving SOD pass marks and Gent. But seriously. Kettlewell is thick and Kelly is a tit ..  and apparently Spittal is a shambles even though he scored yeah? Just as well everyone else doesn't agree with you. Was Miller a shambles too?

There's 2 or 3 posters that it's pointless engaging with, they want to be shock jocks, just stick to the ones who make measured valid points

All that being said , we were rubbish in 1 st half, looked like we hadn't played for a few weeks...credit to ketts for pushing gent further up , might be a masterstroke, the lad monty has good feet too

Thought it was a competent enough performance yesterday, given the circumstances. Threadbare squad with injuries and departures.

Alloa played tidy football in spells, but didnt threaten us as much as I thought they would and at no stage did I think we were at risk of losing the game.

Got off to a great start first half and if we had a more instinctive striker available we could have been out of sight before they scored. 

Their goal is definitely on Butcher. Poor mistake to give Sammon so much space and then show him inside. That said, it was still a great finish. 

Second half was much better, especially after Miller came on. Boy is a class act and Davor is gonna love playing alongside him. He just brings a calmness to everything we do.

Loved the partnership between Montgomery and Gent. Both young guys with bags of talent and potential. If we can find a way to replicate that on the other side of the pitch we should be able to hurt teams in the second half of the season. Someone mentioned Luca Ross in the advanced position and that could work, but we still need a more dynamic RWB than SOD, albeit he has been absolutely fine at RCB and Id be happy enough with him in a flat four.

To those slaughtering Spittal, I really do wonder what your expectation levels are for a Motherwell midfielder? Without his assists and goals this season we would be in deep shit! The guy isnt perfect, and his corners frustrate me as much as everyone else, but he is one of our most important players. Theres 4 or 5 clubs in our league that would be happy to take him off our hands. Yes, I was annoyed about the penalty miss and I did think the free kick was more suited to a left footer, but then he does that!

I guess some folk are just happier being miserable!

Anyway, comfortable passage into the next round. Another cup tie to look forward to and fingers crossed for another couple of decent signings before the window closes.

Up The 'Well!

• Like 3

Hibs were very lucky to beat Forfar. 

Ross County were gubbed by Thistle. 

Hearts needed a late goal to beat Spartans. 

St Johnstone lost to Airdrie. 

St Mirren struggled to a one nil one win at home over League One opposition. 

These cup games immediately after the break are often tight or throw up shocks. Partly because it's cup of course, but mostly because the lower league teams don't get a break and have an edge on match fitness. 

7 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

His actual assists and goals are very good. It's just his corner kicks which are very frustrating.  Penalty was a good save and free kick was a peach

Just saw the free kick on twitter. Was excellent 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Thought it was a competent enough performance yesterday, given the circumstances. Threadbare squad with injuries and departures.

Alloa played tidy football in spells, but didnt threaten us as much as I thought they would and at no stage did I think we were at risk of losing the game.

Got off to a great start first half and if we had a more instinctive striker available we could have been out of sight before they scored. 

Their goal is definitely on Butcher. Poor mistake to give Sammon so much space and then show him inside. That said, it was still a great finish. 

Second half was much better, especially after Miller came on. Boy is a class act and Davor is gonna love playing alongside him. He just brings a calmness to everything we do.

Loved the partnership between Montgomery and Gent. Both young guys with bags of talent and potential. If we can find a way to replicate that on the other side of the pitch we should be able to hurt teams in the second half of the season. Someone mentioned Luca Ross in the advanced position and that could work, but we still need a more dynamic RWB than SOD, albeit he has been absolutely fine at RCB and Id be happy enough with him in a flat four.

To those slaughtering Spittal, I really do wonder what your expectation levels are for a Motherwell midfielder? Without his assists and goals this season we would be in deep shit! The guy isnt perfect, and his corners frustrate me as much as everyone else, but he is one of our most important players. Theres 4 or 5 clubs in our league that would be happy to take him off our hands. Yes, I was annoyed about the penalty miss and I did think the free kick was more suited to a left footer, but then he does that!

I guess some folk are just happier being miserable!

Anyway, comfortable passage into the next round. Another cup tie to look forward to and fingers crossed for another couple of decent signings before the window closes.

Up The 'Well!

I really like Spittal. Same with Slattery. Both get an undeserved amount of stick in my view

4 hours ago, weeyin said:

Hibs were very lucky to beat Forfar. 

Ross County were gubbed by Thistle. 

Hearts needed a late goal to beat Spartans. 

St Johnstone lost to Airdrie. 

St Mirren struggled to a one nil one win at home over League One opposition. 

These cup games immediately after the break are often tight or throw up shocks. Partly because it's cup of course, but mostly because the lower league teams don't get a break and have an edge on match fitness. 

Every other team in our league has better managers and better players and they also win every week while we lose every week with shite players that no one wants and a useless 'oot his depth' manager. 

Bearing that in mind, this anomaly in yesterdays results seems somewhat illogical.  

• Like 1