The Pitch

sailor_h

12 hours ago, santheman said:

Undersoil heating had to be turned on during the recent cold snap.

Destroys the root system......

That's certainly true. However undersoil heating didn't seem to damage the previous surface. No  something else is going on  but I don't know what. I'm no groundsman. 

• Haha 1

The pitch was the worst its been on Saturday for years. Have to go back to the McGhee era when it really was a proper disaster.

Once we got it fixed up, we have never looked back, but Saturday was a regression. No doubt about it.

Whether thats to do with the summers investment, groundstaff or different techniques, no idea but it didnt look good

6 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

That's certainly true. However undersoil heating didn't seem to damage the previous surface. No  something else is going on  but I don't know what. I'm no groundsman. 

You could be right as I'm only going on what one of the groundsmen I speak to most home games told me.

Maybe the undersoil heating has a worse effect on the hybrid pitch than normal grass, who knows as its the first time it's been used on the new pitch.

We've been so used to seeing a bowling green that Saturday was a bit of a shock tbf.

6 minutes ago, santheman said:

You could be right as I'm only going on what one of the groundsmen I speak to most home games told me.

Maybe the undersoil heating has a worse effect on the hybrid pitch than normal grass, who knows as its the first time it's been used on the new pitch.

We've been so used to seeing a bowling green that Saturday was a bit of a shock tbf.

John Chapman, a farmer by occupation,  made this very point about undersoil heating baking the soil, years ago.