Hearts v Motherwell 17/02/2024

SteelmaninOZ

1 hour ago, wellgirl said:

We should be looking for a new team to recruit in the summer? How do you think players will feel if he walks now? Hes not going to walk. They'll need to sack him. 

No one said sack him, we can’t afford to, his contract is up in the summer, don’t renew it, simple, he has 3 wins in 24, it’s rotten statistics, but you obviously like him, your choice, my opinion we need change.

12 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

No one said sack him, we can’t afford to, his contract is up in the summer, don’t renew it, simple, he has 3 wins in 24, it’s rotten statistics, but you obviously like him, your choice, my opinion we need change.

It's five in 26. I get the form. I have a season ticket. You said walk. You want him out right now yeah ? How do you think the players would react to that? If you think it would improve our season fair enough and it might come to that in the end. 

We can't afford to? We paid off Alexander and Hammell? Why not Kettlewell? Hes only got four months to go like you say. I personally think this will be the last year I put money into the club. On so many levels I cannot be bothered. Probably for the exact opposite reasons of other people who feel like chucking it. 

24 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

It's five in 26. I get the form. I have a season ticket. You said walk. You want him out right now yeah ? How do you think the players would react to that? If you think it would improve our season fair enough and it might come to that in the end.

I think what Stevie is saying , and no doubt he'll correct me if I'm wrong, is that we do nothing and say nothing until the end of the season and then we simply don't renew his contract. That way the players know no more than we do. In short, they can't react to something which hasn't happened. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I think what Stevie is saying , and no doubt he'll correct me if I'm wrong, is that we do nothing and say nothing until the end of the season and then we simply don't renew his contract. That way the players know no more than we do. In short, they can't react to something which hasn't happened. 

I get that. But if that's the case I'll be done with putting money into the club. Not good enough on any level whether people do or don't like Stuart. The rot set in ages ago as far as I'm concerned and a new manager every 18 months or so isn't going to help that rot. 

I think Kettlewell deserves better than that too. But that's just my own opinion. I don't think anyone deserves to see out the next four months of a contract just to be quietly be let go. He's also got the right to want job security and if we don't want to give him it he has the right to look elsewhere. 

If you want job security, you dont become a football manager!

A contract is there for a reason, it protects the manager for when he does poorly & gets the sack...... it also protects the club for when the manager does well and bigger opportunities come sniffing. 

There is absolutley nothing wrong with shaking the guys hand at the end of his contract, saying thanks for the service but we are going to try something new

• Like 1

Just now, Big Stall said:

If you want job security, you dont become a football manager!

A contract is there for a reason, it protects the manager for when he does poorly & gets the sack...... it also protects the club for when the manager does well and bigger opportunities come sniffing. 

There is absolutley nothing wrong with shaking the guys hand at the end of his contract, saying thanks for the service but we are going to try something new

That's fine. I've just had enough. (I won't explain why. Would take way too long). A season out might do me good. Night all. 

I actually thought Kettlewells interview was a better watch today. It was a change from the norm & you could see he was visibly angry at the mistakes. Noted that he/the club protect the players rather than throwing them under the bus. I got the feeling he was going to let fly in the dressing room and hopefully boot some arses.

That is certainly what the defence and the keeper are needing.

9 minutes ago, Big Stall said:

I actually thought Kettlewells interview was a better watch today. It was a change from the norm & you could see he was visibly angry at the mistakes. Noted that he/the club protect the players rather than throwing them under the bus. I got the feeling he was going to let fly in the dressing room and hopefully boot some arses.

That is certainly what the defence and the keeper are needing.

I said the same thing a while back. He's a nice guy in my view and tbh I can't criticise him for that but there's been defeats where you can see he's been hurting but he's not slated the players .. and I commend him for that. 

I think he needs to start booting doors off hinges ... metaphorically of course but there's always a fine line. How to kick backsides without lowering morale. But they need to be kicked. I'd have smashed the dressing room to bits months ago .. that is why I'm not a football manager..  that and because I wouldn't have the first clue how to do his job (obvs). 

Kettlewell is here until the end of the season at least whatever anyone thinks of him. I think if he was going to go it would have happened early December after the Ross County 0-3 away.

7 hours ago, wellgirl said:

I said the same thing a while back. He's a nice guy in my view and tbh I can't criticise him for that but there's been defeats where you can see he's been hurting but he's not slated the players .. and I commend him for that. 

I think he needs to start booting doors off hinges ... metaphorically of course but there's always a fine line. How to kick backsides without lowering morale. But they need to be kicked. I'd have smashed the dressing room to bits months ago .. that is why I'm not a football manager..  that and because I wouldn't have the first clue how to do his job (obvs).

Yes, credit to him for not criticising players publicly, but he's been unable to fix our defensive frailties and he's in charge. Thats not all down to him of course, he can only do so much with the players, who must also take responsibility. 

As some others have said, I thought we did pretty well for 66 mins, defended well, restricted them to very few opportunities, and had the best chances on the break, Miller’s in particular. 

Very soft foul given for the 1st goal, but I’m not sure Mugabi was the only one to blame for Shankland’s free header, I think Casey is every bit as culpable, as is the decision to go zonal and not man for man. Anyway between them they can’t leave the top scorer in the league with that amount of space 12 yards out. 

The 2nd goal, we’re obviously chasing it at that point, they get an overload on our left and then O’Donnell’s weak attempt to get to the ball combined with a great touch and finish, and it was game over. 

A few positives to take, Kelly made a few decent saves towards the end and looked more steady in general, Vale looks like he’ll be a good player for us. 1st goal apart Casey played well. 

I know there’s a lot of chat about who is our best back 3 (or least worst), I think we need to get back to McGinn, Butcher and Casey as quickly as possible. I know Butcher hasn’t been great but I prefer him to the other options we have in that area.

Assuming we lose next week, that Livi game is going to be huge, particularly given Ross C have a couple of winnable home games between now and then!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, couttsy said:

As some others have said, I thought we did pretty well for 66 mins, defended well, restricted them to very few opportunities, and had the best chances on the break, Miller’s in particular. 

Very soft foul given for the 1st goal, but I’m not sure Mugabi was the only one to blame for Shankland’s free header, I think Casey is every bit as culpable, as is the decision to go zonal and not man for man. Anyway between them they can’t leave the top scorer in the league with that amount of space 12 yards out. 

The 2nd goal, we’re obviously chasing it at that point, they get an overload on our left and then O’Donnell’s weak attempt to get to the ball combined with a great touch and finish, and it was game over. 

A few positives to take, Kelly made a few decent saves towards the end and looked more steady in general, Vale looks like he’ll be a good player for us. 1st goal apart Casey played well. 

I know there’s a lot of chat about who is our best back 3 (or least worst), I think we need to get back to McGinn, Butcher and Casey as quickly as possible. I know Butcher hasn’t been great but I prefer him to the other options we have in that area.

Assuming we lose next week, that Livi game is going to be huge, particularly given Ross C have a couple of winnable home games between now and then!

As ketts has said zonal or man for man are both effective if done properly, it doesn't matter the system if defenders aren't doing their job

We were ineffective against a far superior side yesterday and while Hearts will take care of most sides especially at home our frailties at both ends were all too easily exposed again yesterday. We just don’t have that cutting edge up front and we cannot defend balls into our box to save ourselves. Shankland is the best striker in the country just now and he was always going to punish us when he gets space in between two defenders like that but to be honest any half decent forward player would probably have done the same if presented with that same situation for the first goal yesterday. We are weak as tap water at the back and never learn any lessons, inspite of how “fizzin” Kettlewell was about it.

We are on a dismal run stretching most of the season if we’re honest and if we are realistic we were never getting anything yesterday and the same applies next Sunday, so we now look to the Livingston game as our next chance of picking up points. Which we will be under serious pressure to do when that one comes around.

Just now, grizzlyg said:

For young Lennon's miss if that had been Paton he would have been absolutely slated.

For the 2 goals Big Bevis shocking for first but Casey also not blameless. For the 2nd SOD needs to be a lot stronger.  Soft goals again costing us

Mugabi and O’Donnell need to be out of Fir Park this summer, no two ways about it. Mugabi as I said yesterday just can’t be relied upon and SO’D is and always has been an out and out imposter in our jersey. 

Just now, MJC said:

Mugabi and O’Donnell need to be out of Fir Park this summer, no two ways about it. Mugabi as I said yesterday just can’t be relied upon and SO’D is and always has been an out and out imposter in our jersey. 

Think you are being very harsh on SOD. Yes I think best he moves on but certainly not an imposter.  As for Bevis yep time to move on but this can all be sorted come season end

14 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I'm far from convinced he's the best striker in the league, although he may be the top scorer. Would he score as many if he played with Livingston, Ross County or St Johnstone? 

That's why he isn't playing with these clubs because he's one of the best strikers in Scotland, would you not want him at MFC?

1 minute ago, grizzlyg said:

For young Lennon's miss if that had been Paton he would have been absolutely slated.

For the 2 goals Big Bevis shocking for first but Casey also not blameless. For the 2nd SOD needs to be a lot stronger.  Soft goals again costing us

I don't think you can compare them like that. Miller is 17 and has one professional goal, and Paton is 25 and has twelve professional goals. Furthermore, Paton is often asked to play further forward, but Miller isn't. The boy is still growing into the game and learning. 

9 minutes ago, MJC said:

I agree that we need better. If we can afford to get better players and keep them as squad men back ups i wouldnt be averse to that.

Saying that, i expect both to be pretty high earners within our squad so for the money we are probably paying them, we need first team starters

2 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

How do you define zero tactics, we played good football yesterday and again let down by guys he inherited 

Inherited or not, the buck always stops with the manager in football. He's also had two transfer windows to address the inherited problems you mentioned. 

• Like 2