The Steelmen of the 70’s

SteelmaninOZ

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

If he treated the players anything like he treated kids, no surprise he was sacked.

Let's just say he wouldn't have got away with it these days!

Speaking of things you wouldn't get away with these days, did you ever have Mr Armstrong for maths?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Electric Blues said:

Speaking of things you wouldn't get away with these days, did you ever have Mr Armstrong for maths?

Don't remember the name. Sounds like I would have, though....

Watched this film on many occasions, we had some tremendous players in those days. On a lighter note re Cowdenbeath, my special memory is all the buses stopped in a traffic jam at the Cowdenbeath cut off and hunners of fans running of buses for a pish, before having to run like hell to get back on their bus, Oh the glory days😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

And then he rolled up as my PE teacher. If he treated the players anything like he treated kids, no surprise he was sacked.

19 minutes ago, Electric Blues said:

Yes, he taught me at Dalziel, barking mad, you just had to look him in the eyes to see that. I think he went to Garrion (Clyde valley) later, a few 'Well fans may have had to put up with his tender mercies.

I had Armstrong for Maths too, good teacher, I have a memory of him holding a pupil by his ankles with his head dangling in the bin, something else you wouldn't get away with now.

14 minutes ago, grumpy said:

I had Armstrong for Maths too, good teacher, I have a memory of him holding a pupil by his ankles with his head dangling in the bin, something else you wouldn't get away with now.

We must have been in the same class! (I wasn't that pupil, btw.)

He also used to stand on your toes, putting more and more of his weight on them until you... well, actually, I don't quite know what his aim was. It's not like pain suddenly made you better at maths.

21 minutes ago, grumpy said:

Yes, he taught me at Dalziel, barking mad, you just had to look him in the eyes to see that. I think he went to Garrion (Clyde valley) later, a few 'Well fans may have had to put up with his tender mercies.

Ah, that's why I don't remember Armstrong, I had Hynd at Garrion. His speciality was hanging up kids' jackets, while they were still wearing them.

I had Davie Whiteford for PE teacher at Dalziel and Wilson Humphries for English. He was also BB officer for company 2 and then 2/4, along with George Cummings who played for St Mirren and Thistle before going into refereeing. 

4 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I had Davie Whiteford for PE teacher at Dalziel and Wilson Humphries for English. He was also BB officer for company 2 and then 2/4, along with George Cummings who played for St Mirren and Thistle before going into refereeing. 

George Cumming was also my Geography teacher at Earnock. Not a fan of the OF or their supporters.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2024 at 2:45 PM, Spiderpig said:

Pitches like ploughed fields, games played at walking pace at times, standing on open terraces in all weathers, no comparison with today's game but we enjoyed it allegedly 😬

Here's a great example from Jan 75.

State of that pitch then Bobby Graham's pass to Willie P great first touch & sublime finish.

May as well chuck in Arthur Montford's commentary "chance of a lifetime for Pettigrew". That's up there with "Argentina here we come"

https://youtu.be/JTFtGgLJYFU?si=7fT6wZDoLdWnlgn4

10 minutes ago, mcguru said:

Here's a great example from Jan 75.

State of that pitch then Bobby Graham's pass to Willie P great first touch & sublime finish.

May as well chuck in Arthur Montford's commentary "chance of a lifetime for Pettigrew". That's up there with "Argentina here we come"

https://youtu.be/JTFtGgLJYFU?si=7fT6wZDoLdWnlgn4

What a memory jerker that is. Dropped my mum and sister off in the city centre - dad in his wisdom decided we would take in the game. First turnstyle he came too was the main stand at the city centre end of the ground. Got in and were surrounded by priests (hundreds of them). My dad's advice? sit on your hands and we both managed it until Pettigrew's winner - he was first out his seat followed quickly by me. Thankfully we got out without too much trouble. The look on their faces as we celebrated was a joy to behold.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

What a memory jerker that is. Dropped my mum and sister off in the city centre - dad in his wisdom decided we would take in the game. First turnstyle he came too was the main stand at the city centre end of the ground. Got in and were surrounded by priests (hundreds of them). My dad's advice? sit on your hands and we both managed it until Pettigrew's winner - he was first out his seat followed quickly by me. Thankfully we got out without too much trouble. The look on their faces as we celebrated was a joy to behold.

My brother and I did something similar in about 1977, a new year game, and as we had never been at Parkhead before, ended up behind the goals to the left of where the camera's now are. A full 180 degrees round the ground from where we should have been. We had a great view of the only goal of the game though, wee Jim O'Rourke after about 30 minutes, we couldn't celebrate till about an hour after full time.

• Haha 1

On 4/16/2024 at 1:11 PM, bobbybingo said:

Ah, that's why I don't remember Armstrong, I had Hynd at Garrion. His speciality was hanging up kids' jackets, while they were still wearing them.

Had Hynd, both Whitefords and Morton's Frank Welsh as PE teachers, bizarrely I got on really well with Hynd, even more bizarre though was becoming good friends with Alan Faulds from pre match pints in the Cooper

• Like 1