Yesterday's Attendance

Special aka

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes a dissapointing crowd i have to say. Most of my Well supporting mates were't there because of A. the state of the pitch. B. The performances at Killie and St.Mirren. C. We can all see we're powderpuff up front. I went as always but correctly predicted a draw. We've failed to beat a pish Kilmarnock and Aberdeen team in 3 attempts each this season which says it all really. :mellow:

Yes a dissapointing crowd i have to say. Most of my Well supporting mates were't there because of A. the state of the pitch...

If that's their primary reason for not attending a 'Well game then, sorry, they aint 'Well fans.

Perhaps a few folk away for the Easter Holidays. Certainly a very poor traveling support all things considered.

It's simply too expensive. If I didn't already have a season ticket I wouldn't have been there either.

Definitely plays a huge part in the attendances. Couple of folk I spoke to gave that as their reason for not going. I would like to say if I didn't have my season ticket I would still pay to go every week, but there's no guarantee I would. Most people have more important things they need to spend their cash on - no matter how important Motherwell is to us all - we need a roof over our heads and food much more.

It was a piss poor attendance considering what was at stake. maybe we should just say there was 14,000 there though? There certainly wasn't a full house at the Potatoe Bowl as their attendnace given would suggest.

We've failed to beat a pish Kilmarnock and Aberdeen team in 3 attempts each this season which says it all really.

That's why we won't be in the top 6 then. Aberdeen and Killie are bothe atrocious.

No, with well over 200 miles to cover and a 5-6hr journey ensures my trips to Fir Park are sadly not as frequent as they used to be.

Doesn't stop me attending week in, week out.. :mellow:

Sacrifices have to be made, I would do anything to ensure I see the 'Well.

There seemed less Aberdeen fans than usual as well.

Undoubtedly a big factor. A year or two back Aberdeen could bring 2,000/3,000 fans for such a game but on Saturday it was a good deal less than 1,000. It was a huge game for them in their push for Europe.

As for us - we're not playing particularly well at the moment, the recession is biting and there's more competition from TV football. People also have higher expectations than a few years ago - nowadays, for many, the English Premiership is the yardstick against which everything is measured and thats totally unrealistic.

Clubs must be bricking themselves for next season.

If they don't pitch pay-at-the-gate and season ticket prices correctly it could be a catastrophe for some clubs.

They'll make an arse of it as usual as from every issue from pricing to league reconstruction they've never ever had the balls / bottle to do the right thing.

If it cost between 18 and 26 quid to get into the cinema, they would go out of business. Not a single person would ever go. Why do we do it for football?? It's essentially the same thing...paying entry to a show that lasts an hour and a half to two hours. In fact, at least at the cinema you are in a comfortable seat, indoors in a heated auditorium. It's ironic that I often complain about paying £6.50 maybe once a month at my local cinema for that, while week in week out I pay four times that to sit on some shite plastic chair with my knees up at my chin, at the side of a field in the pishing rain, while being told that we cant sing/stand up/move/complain about the product im (grossly over)-paying for.

It just highlights how football as a business relies on the loyalty stupidity of people like me and you, to get away with it. Change has to happen though...as the amount of people who are starting to see it for what it is, insanity rather than dedication, is increasing by the week.

The cinema argument doesn't hold water in my opinion. They make a movie which is repeatedly shown in thousands of locations, 10 times a day for a number of weeks.

I agree that the SPL is overpriced, but live theatre is a better comparison and you are unlikely to go and watch a 90 minute play for 6.50.

The cinema, or other leisure activity argument does hold water. Wrote a piece some time ago about it for MJ. Basically, you've got the highheidyins selling football to 'customers', like it is an entertainment and they aren't remotely providing anything like the service.

Two for crazy golf, game of ten pin still came in at less than a single admission to the East Stand.

The cinema argument is perfectly valid.

It's an alternative for the fans £s - so its valid.

There may be an imbalance in the cost to stage each of the different events. But all the alternatives to entertaining you and your family of a Saturday are valid arguments. And thats something that the clus and their running costs and wages etc have to live with.

Whether its going to other sports, the pub, shopping, buying music, watching music, theatre, DIY - all alternative routes for the football supporters money.

Detween the clubs, the authorities & the TV people something drastically needs to be done.

Prior to us winning the cup it cost what £6 to get in to Fir Park? and it cost a tenner for a CD. It still costs a tenner (or less for a CD)

The price of football has gone through the roof compared to other leisure activities.

With the bollocks of the economy shrinking into its wee sac - Football clubs are on the brink lads.

Guest 'Flow

The club were advised by the Dons to perhaps expect a lower travelling support than usual because Aberdeen have a high proportion of fans who travel with the Tartan Army so after trips to Amsterdam and then to Hampden on Wednesday night our attendance would suffer.

It proved to be correct I think....

'Flow

If it cost between 18 and 26 quid to get into the cinema, they would go out of business. Not a single person would ever go. Why do we do it for football?? It's essentially the same thing...paying entry to a show that lasts an hour and a half to two hours. In fact, at least at the cinema you are in a comfortable seat, indoors in a heated auditorium. It's ironic that I often complain about paying £6.50 maybe once a month at my local cinema for that, while week in week out I pay four times that to sit on some shite plastic chair with my knees up at my chin, at the side of a field in the pishing rain, while being told that we cant sing/stand up/move/complain about the product im (grossly over)-paying for.

It just highlights how football as a business relies on the loyalty stupidity of people like me and you, to get away with it. Change has to happen though...as the amount of people who are starting to see it for what it is, insanity rather than dedication, is increasing by the week.

:lol:

It is simply too much to fork out roughly every 2 weeks, in my case for travel Im fooked and need to get on a train and a couple of buses each way, almost costing more than than the ticket itself!

Guest 'Flow
That rules out admission prices and travel costs and the economy then :lol: .

Glad that there isn't a problem at all then - as you were chaps!

One day - soon I hope - the penny will drop

I wasn't saying what you were posting was wrong - I was giving you what Aberdeen told us before hand about the possibility of their low attendance.

'Flow

The problem is that a Cinema has very low overheads.

Paying the ticket sellers - minimum wage.

Cost of Cinema (Running costs, rent etc)

Paying for the rights to watch the film.

Nowhere in there is a £500 - £2000 a week salary, the running of a stadium, the up keep of a pitch. Paying for security, police etc.

Also films are advertised by multi million pound movie companies. A cinema has no need to advertise. All people need to know is where it is.

A cinema and a football club are two totally different things.