In's And Out's

AndyRoss

That's an interesting one. Did Shaun Hutchinson not come from that part of the world also. Could well be coincidence, or could be an example of the type of keen scouting that was being talked of one of the threads on here in the last wee while.

Think Jonathon Page might also have come from down south as well so perhaps there is some kind of network there or at least some who are keeping the club abreast of some promising young talent in Englandshire.

Yes Hutchison signed from Wallsend Boys' Club who are based in Tyneside. They have a very impressive list of ex-players by the way including Alan Shearer, Peter Beardsley and Alan Thompson (ex-Celtic player)

Page was signed from Portsmouth.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think too much focus is put on formations. What you should really be looking at are how many instinctively attacking players do you have? How many instinctive goal scorers do you have on the field? How many runners or hard workers do you have? How many instinctive ball winners?

If you play with only one player in the side that can score then you are always going to be in trouble, no matter what formation you play whether its a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 and that is the situation we are in at the moment.

Sutton might not be the best player in the world but he will score 10 - 15 goals a season but right now there is nothing to suggest any other player in the squad will get 5 unless they more than double their personal best tally.

We need more offensive threat in the side, that could come from an attacking midfielder like Andy Dorman or a goal scoring wide player like Ross McCormack or from another centre forward but its a must that we get it from somewhere.

NB: I saw the video on youtube of your fans marchig through Llanelli in the Europa ? cup - what a great bunch of fans . I just adopted you as my team in the SPL

Thanks Shrew Fan -welcome aboard the rollercoaster.

Maybe that is the strategy - sign many players from lower leagues in England and increase our fanbase B-)

At this rate we will have a 1st team squad of 55. Just think we could play our strongest 11 against the old firm and then rest them and play the weakest against Hamilton and St Mirren :P

In all honesty it is highly unlikely that all the players JG signs will make the grade. If that is the case he truly is the messiah. I would be happy with 3 or 4 out of 6 or 7. That would be decent work in my book.

Thanks Shrewfan!! All info accepted, sounds like he needs shown the way!!

Hopefully we'll be marching in another couple of weeks, need to wait til after tomorrow to see the odds.

I'm intrigued to see what type of striker we are after.

I'd take back big Sheridan in an instant but I doubt that will materialise. Paul Gallagher is another but I guess he will end up in the Championship.

Thank God. I wouldn't have him back at all. A couple of good games and two goals.....a poor return for us. I have no idea what Celtic see in him.

That's an interesting one. Did Shaun Hutchinson not come from that part of the world also. Could well be coincidence, or could be an example of the type of keen scouting that was being talked of one of the threads on here in the last wee while.

Think Jonathon Page might also have come from down south as well so perhaps there is some kind of network there or at least some who are keeping the club abreast of some promising young talent in Englandshire.

As Wellfan said, Page came from Portsmouth and Hutchinson from Wallsend BC , Signings like this boy Gillies seem to be Gannons trademark, he signed Oli Johnson to Stockport from non league and im sure a couple more and they, esp Johnson, were turned into very decent players, good to see were casting our net a bit wider too

And Welcome to the Well Chris!

the spl is about on a par with the bottom half of the championship, just signing guys from league two and non league isn't going to be good enough.

You think? When Manchester City played in the old Second Division(League 1 nowadays), the football was better than watching the Scottish Premier. That was 10 years ago and we had money to buy players back then!!

On a different note, it's amazing how many adopted fans we're picking up this pre-season!!

NB: I saw the video on youtube of your fans marchig through Llanelli in the Europa ? cup - what a great bunch of fans. I just adopted you as my team in the SPL

Welcome aboard Shrewfan. If you ever travel up to Fir Park to see us, let us know and we'll make you very welcome.

great. i hope gannon isn't judging the quality of the spl by what he's seen from some of the more footballingly challenged members of our squad.

the spl is about on a par with the bottom half of the championship, just signing guys from league two and non league isn't going to be good enough.

One name for yeh.

Ikechi Anya? <_<

ive been away in bulgaria my holidays now i checked the web often while over there but 1 thing i couldnt find was any info on brian mclean is there any news on him whether he has left or is getting a new contract

ive been away in bulgaria my holidays now i checked the web often while over there but 1 thing i couldnt find was any info on brian mclean is there any news on him whether he has left or is getting a new contract

I thought that quote was a joke <_< But then a read it again and saw you were on holiday!!! :huh:

Do you know we got beat 1-0 with Llanelli -_-

NB: I saw the video on youtube of your fans marchig through Llanelli in the Europa ? cup - what a great bunch of fans . I just adopted you as my team in the SPL

Excellent!!! <_<

One more of us, one less of THEM!!! (Them being someone without an SPL team that the Old Firm just 'bagsy') :huh:

Couple of Tranmere boys said they were coming up to see Jennings next season and Llanelli fans say they will pop up too so it would be great if a few shrews fans came up to see your old lad play for us.

Always great to get a few extra punters in through the door, I'm sure you could meet up for a pint with folk from on here too!!

You've made a good signing in Chris Humphrey but don't expect too much too soon as he's way off being the finished article, and don't take too much notice of internet stories linking him with Premiership clubs as I don't think they have much, if any, real substance.

He's very quick and his crossing is decent having improved greatly last season but he is still very limited in other ways. If he gets the ball in space and already on the move he looks very dangerous but one on one with a fullback, particularly when play has slowed, he rarely beats his man due to lacking the necessary trickery you would expect from a winger. He did manage to score a couple last season but he normally has the look of a rabbit in headlights when presented with a goalscoring chance.

Gannon has a very good record for developing young talent and there is a more than good chance that he'll develop Chris into an even better player.

Simpson spoke about the transfer on our website this morning and he's obviously far from impressed with Humphrey's conduct and his agent's conduct this summer. It appears we may be entitled to compensation under FIFA rules but this has yet to be clarified.

http://www.shrewsburytown.com/page/NewsDet...1723851,00.html

All the best.

I'm intrigued to see what type of striker we are after.

I'd take back big Sheridan in an instant but I doubt that will materialise. Paul Gallagher is another but I guess he will end up in the Championship.

The Striker we need has to be able to play in 'Gannon's Hole' <_< in the 4-2-3-1 behind the main Striker - Sutton. So he has to be a bit of a 'Rosscoe' - nippy, can link play, can score and shoot from distance too. But he also has to be able to play up front in a two when he goes for it in a traditional wide 4-4-2. Someone like McCormack could obviously do this.

UNLESS, Gannon has in mind Murphy for this 'Hole' role, perhaps Jennings/Slane/O Biren at times too and his Striker is just another big lump of a number nine - like Nade or similar.

I don't know what I'd prefer as if Sutty is injured we have NO-ONE to step into the big lone forward role, and like I said we already have a few boys to play in the 'hole'.

The Striker we need has to be able to play in 'Gannon's Hole' <_< in the 4-2-3-1 behind the main Striker - Sutton. So he has to be a bit of a 'Rosscoe' - nippy, can link play, can score and shoot from distance too. But he also has to be able to play up front in a two when he goes for it in a traditional wide 4-4-2. Someone like McCormack could obviously do this.

UNLESS, Gannon has in mind Murphy for this 'Hole' role, perhaps Jennings/Slane/O Biren at times too and his Striker is just another big lump of a number nine - like Nade or similar.

I don't know what I'd prefer as if Sutty is injured we have NO-ONE to step into the big lone forward role, and like I said we already have a few boys to play in the 'hole'.

I agree we need someone to play in the hole mate but I don't think Sutton will be the number one choice for the main striking role when the season gets underway.

I agree we need someone to play in the hole mate but I don't think Sutton will be the number one choice for the main striking role when the season gets underway.

So two more 'Forwards' then mate?

I'd love to see it but if you add in the Goalie we NEED and Centre half we would like that is four more signings. And one more to replace Quinn. I would be happy for Saunders/Page to deal with the RB slot but I still can't see four or five more signings.

Hope I'm wrong though!!

You get cream for that :O

Wiki says he's signed for Atletico sevilla on a 2 yr deal

What's your info TS?

Sorry mate I was just reacting to a post about how players from lower English leagues would be good enough for the SPL.

A bit dodgy mentioning a players name in the Ins and Outs thread I guess, It'll probably be on the BBC gossip column tomorrow. :D