In's And Out's

AndyRoss

Not exactly delighted with this signing. A young inexperienced guy who was playing for Basingstoke last season. Hopefully Gannon sees something there, but as far as I'm concerned we're still lacking a right back, not to mention a striker. Not at all confident going into the new season with just Sutton up front.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His dad is a grade A tosser (garages anyone?) but was a very good player. Maybe Jimbo sees potential in him that Accies failed to see?

All the best to him but I can't see him being a regular starter unless he can play RB!

Seems to have done quite well at Basingstoke last year.

Anybody could do a job at Basingstoke man.

Don't believe the hype, James McArthur are more effective player than McCarthy.

I'd agree with that - anytime I saw McCarthy (admittedly only against us) I was not impressed.

On the subject of "too many midfielders" signed by Gannon - Jennings, Humphrey, Coke and Hateley.......bear in mind we lost (from last season's squad) Hughes, Malcolm and Klimpl..........Fitzpatrick and Smith appear to be well out of the picture and the jury must be about be deliver their verdict on McGarry and Lasley. With the emergence of Forbes and Slane I think we are shaping up to have the strongest midfield we have had for many a year - and this is an area where so many games are won or lost.

We do still need to strengthen up front and bring in a right back - but nobody needs to tell that to JG. Still plenty of time before the window closes. Not something which should be rushed.

Stuart.

that's true but how many clubs are paying good money for holding midfielders who aren't particulary talented with the ball at their feet. there's a chance we could turn reynolds into a slightly better marc fitzpatirck.

a centrehalf with pace is a rare thing, players who can sit in front of the back four and shield the defence are ten a penny. even lee mcculloch's doing it for rangers.

Tell that to the likes of Matthaus, Rijkaard, Keane, Makelele, Vieira and even Graeme Souness - plus i believe Man City have spent over 22M on two defensive midfielders (Company & De Jong) in the last year, so i'm guessing they ain't really ten to a penny.

Comparing Reynolds to Fitzpatrick is slightly harsh, remember in football terms Mark is still a young lad(21 or 22??) and is still developing as a footballer. No offense to Fitzpatrick but he doesn't have any attributes that compare favourably to Reynolds.

On the signing of Hateley, i just hope Brian Martin doesn't have a son cause he'll have young Tom in his back-pocket!!

He's still a young kid. Gannon's not come out and said Hateley's going to be our key player in midfield this season.

Let's wait and see what team Gannon puts out in the next couple of weeks, then we can start moaning about signings.

Maybe I'm naive, but I like to think of this as long-term planning by Gannon. I'm hoping he sees something in Hateley that he believes he can coach him into being a first-team player for Motherwell in a season or two's time. Gannon's not stupid enough to believe that every young player with potential will develop, so between all the young midfielders we've got, he's improving his chances of having enough to create a strong midfield unit over more than just one season.

Isn't long-term planning something we were missing under our previous incumbent?

WTF is going on. On here and in the BBC I hear Hately is either a defender or midfielder however todays Rancid (I know I know I should not believe anything in there) are saying he is a striker!!!

Meanwhile, Gannon last night signed striker Tom Hateley on a one-year deal.The 20-year-old son of Rangers legend Mark has agreed terms at Fir Park a year after losing out on the chance to sign for Hamilton.Hateley left Reading at the end of last season and while he struggled to break into the first team he gained a reputation as a regular scorer for the reserves.

Anyway I am sure we will find out soon enough.

He's still a young kid. Gannon's not come out and said Hateley's going to be our key player in midfield this season.

Let's wait and see what team Gannon puts out in the next couple of weeks, then we can start moaning about signings.

Maybe I'm naive, but I like to think of this as long-term planning by Gannon. I'm hoping he sees something in Hateley that he believes he can coach him into being a first-team player for Motherwell in a season or two's time. Gannon's not stupid enough to believe that every young player with potential will develop, so between all the young midfielders we've got, he's improving his chances of having enough to create a strong midfield unit over more than just one season.

Isn't long-term planning something we were missing under our previous incumbent?

Thats the way i see this one. Hateley will have a very minimal first team role this year, more one for the future.

WTF is going on. On here and in the BBC I hear Hately is either a defender or midfielder however todays Rancid (I know I know I should not believe anything in there) are saying he is a striker!!!

Meanwhile, Gannon last night signed striker Tom Hateley on a one-year deal.The 20-year-old son of Rangers legend Mark has agreed terms at Fir Park a year after losing out on the chance to sign for Hamilton.Hateley left Reading at the end of last season and while he struggled to break into the first team he gained a reputation as a regular scorer for the reserves.

Anyway I am sure we will find out soon enough.

Lazy Journalism of the highest order. Just 'cos big Mark Hately was a Striker prob.

Anyway, I am very dissapointed to come back from Norway to find out we still don't have a Striker. If Clarkson was still here I would be wanting another body in up front, but giving the fact we sold our main man - he should have been the first to be replaced.

Tell that to the likes of Matthaus, Rijkaard, Keane, Makelele, Vieira and even Graeme Souness - plus i believe Man City have spent over 22M on two defensive midfielders (Company & De Jong) in the last year, so i'm guessing they ain't really ten to a penny.

aye the difference being that they can all pass the ball, reynolds is a far better athlete than he is a footballer. however if we could somehow combine mark reynolds' body with ross forbes' feet we'd have a player on our hands.

there's surely no way this hateley will be the new RB. he's got less experience than saunders and he's been kb'd by accies, killie and st mirren in the past year as well as reading. 17 and a half days til the window shuts, get the finger out gannon!

aye the difference being that they can all pass the ball, reynolds is a far better athlete than he is a footballer.

Sorry about the quality, some nice link-up play and not a bad finish by an athlete/centre-back

Under 20s World Cup - Reynolds playing in an attacking midfield role almost!!!

Reynolds

His dad is a grade A tosser (garages anyone?) but was a very good player. Maybe Jimbo sees potential in him that Accies failed to see?

All the best to him but I can't see him being a regular starter unless he can play RB!

Seems to have done quite well at Basingstoke last year.

I went to a sportsmans dinner where he was a late stand in speaker, when asked he spoke of enjoying games at fir park and always getting a hard game there

Quite gutted we don't have a Striker in for the league starting. We are WAAAAAY short of what is required up front, having lost Clarky, Porter, Sheridan and Rosscoe and only got Sutton in in the last year or so.

Thats is threadbare and it seems as if we aren't close to a Striker or it would have been surely rushed through for tommorow. Doubt we will see one in 'till 31 August if at all..

:rolleyes: