In's And Out's

AndyRoss

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was listening to Open all Mics there and have just heard someone asking about a rumour about Liam Buchanan joining Motherwell. Would anyone have him ?

Don't see why not. He was banging them in for Cowdenbeath a couple of years ago which, although not the greatest of levels, was still an impressive record - and I think I'm correct in saying he's been scoring goals in the First Division now with Partick Thistle.

Makes sense that the next step could be the SPL. A proven goalscorer, albeit at lower league level, as back-up to Sutton & Murphy would be a decent move IMO.

Still young as well is he not?

EDIT: His Soccerbase stats are fairy decent. Aye, I reckon I'd take him.

not sure JG would know about him unless we have played them in a bounce game.

I wouldn't say that. Just because he has an extensive knowledge of the English lower leagues doesn't mean he isn't scouring Scotland for players as well. And Liam Buchanan is hardly a "hidden gem" as he's been regularly scoring goals for years.

He's only 5' 9", think we will be looking for someone with a bit more presence

Is Gannon not looking for a mobile clarkson type striker to work off the target man, was clarkson not around that height?

None of the Radio Scotland panel had heard anything about a move for Buchanan but there's no reason why they should have if things are done properly. I would have thought Thistle would be looking for cash so I don't think it sounds likely.

Wouldn't mind a 6 month loan, then if the boy is mince we haven't spent any money buying him.

Sadly loans rarely work like that. Players tend only to go on loan down the football pecking order. Clubs only loan out players who are not first picks, and it would be very unusual for someone who was out of the picture at a first division club to be sought after by an SPL club.

If a minimal fee was involved, I don't imagine Buchanan would be asking the world in wages, it might be a gamble worth taking. All speculation of course, Gannon seems to have a habit of picking up players from sources you wouldn't expect. Other aspect is the fact that he did seem to be very specific that it was a young Premiership striker he was tracking. Not to say that, having possibly seen Buchanan against Liverpool and maybe being made aware that Thistle might need to sell cheap to raise cash (can't only be SPL clubs who need to do this at the moment) that he might not be willing to take a punt.

I fully expect him to make good on his talk of bringing in a further two players before the deadline. And I fully expect not to have a clue who they're going to be til we've signed them. Which is the way it should be. Doesn't mean that all the speculation and guessing isn't highly entertaining though...