Stephen Hughes

wellfan29

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eveing Times Article

Maros Klimpl and Stephen Hughes are in talks with the club regarding new deals, but keeper Graeme Smith looks set for the exit door.

"We are talking to agents all the time and I had a meeting with another chairman about the possibility of signing one or two players," said the manager.

Lets hope its all true..

If by class act you mean he strolls about ineffectually for bulk of game then you'd be right. Hughes this season has almost turned into a Brian Kerr clone.

Was probably far from his worst game on saturday Hughes but other than a shot pulled wide and being unlucky to see a headed effort late on hit the bar what exactly did he do that was so great. I don't recall seeing him demanding the ball, spraying the passes about or creating much?

The fact that you thought he hit the bar with a header sums up your post. Hughes was the only forward thinking midfielder on Sat and was not assisted at all by Klimple or the 2 "wing men". Hughes will do the business again but I would not blame him for leaving because of McGhees negative approach and playing far too many defensive minded players.

Hughes is a decent player and will probably look better surrounded by the right blend of players. I still have my suspicions that he should be playing right midfield in the SPL because his tackling's not quite tough enough for a centre midfielder. On occasions this season he has been a Brian Kerr clone as others have said. On Saturday, for the first half he played between St Mirren's back four and midfield and was picking up a lot of second ball from their defenders clearances. But when they wised up in the second half, he didn't seem to be able to find the space to make a difference...

The fact that you thought he hit the bar with a header sums up your post. Hughes was the only forward thinking midfielder on Sat and was not assisted at all by Klimple or the 2 "wing men". Hughes will do the business again but I would not blame him for leaving because of McGhees negative approach and playing far too many defensive minded players.

No but that comment sums you up a fucking pedant, ok so it was the post not the bar.

No one was helped by saturdays line up but Hughes has had an indifferent season regardless.

I genuinely can't understand why any big teams like the Old Firm would want him. He's been an under-performing player in an under-performing team all season. No two ways about it. Some of the posts on here have got a touch of the 'Golden Boy' vibe about them. The St Mirren game on saturday and Ibrox the week before, people are on here saying he created everything and was our driving force - the fact is you could count our attempts on goal on one hand between the two games, so I find it difficult to understand where his plaudits as an attacking midfielder are coming from.

Frazzle

hughes ran the game for the first hour on saturday and was head and shoulders above every midfielder on the park. dorman scored a good goal but wasn't that impressive.

dorman has something of the brian kerr/ged brannan about while hughes is a class act.

Hughes would indeed be a class act if had scored the same number of goals this season as Andy Dorman. No one on here can argue that Hughes has ability - its how he uses that ability which creates arguments. To me Stephen Hughes does a lot of nice link up play but whenever he gets to the box he prefers to play the ball out wide for someone else to create a chance rather than either have a go himself or play in the strikers and I think that is the reason why some fans demand a little bit more from Stephen as his goal against Hearts showed he has a good shot and even in the midst of a crowded midfield he can find passes which a lot of folk can't see so why is a crowded penalty box any different.

I'd be very surprised if Hughes goes to hearts. I think if he leaves Fir Park it would be to the likes of a Championship club. He is a Motherwell boy lets hope he stays.

As for Smith it wouldn't disappoint me seeing him leave.

I'd be very surprised if Hughes goes to hearts. I think if he leaves Fir Park it would be to the likes of a Championship club. He is a Motherwell boy lets hope he stays.

As for Smith it wouldn't disappoint me seeing him leave.

Thats the thing though, I'd be more concerned if a SPL team came in ie Hearts, OF etc than a Championship team, as he is very keen in staying in Scotland (and I know most of the info through his wife). Course the money is in England but he's said publicly he wants to stay in Scotland (or would prefer to).

As already said, lets hope he stays!

Much has been made recently of our strikers' inability to put the ball in the net and yes there's something in that. There has been a lack of movement up front. However its not just been a lack of goals but a lack of chances. We've been pressurising teams but not hurting them and not creating much.

Potentially Stephen Hughes is our best attacking midfielder and its great to see him on song but this season he's been anonymous in just too many games, especially the crunch ones.

Who outwith Rangers or Celtic has a free scoring midfielder? We are no Barcelona and Stephen Hughes is the best (possibly slightly better) than what we can hope for.

We don't want a free goalscoring midfielder, but one goal a season is not good enough from our attacking midfielder. You'll probably find every other team's main midfielder has scored more goals this season!

in my opinion hughes has been palying with one hand tied behind his back recently. he's got maros beside him who does a great job but is one dimensional, o'brien to his right who is an enigma and someone who gets picked out a hat on his left. we also have the thed third world kris boyd up front who doesn't get involved much.

stick hughes in either old firm team and just like mcdonald things would become a lot easier for him with less to do in the side.