Alex Mcleish Change Opinion?

the fox

Still, if I remember correctly his last game in charge was a 6-2 victory over Hibs!

Had my house warming party that night... Made quite an impression on the new neighbours :whistling:

Regarding 'eck; Surely one of the luckiest managers of all time, and regularly assisted by his pals in the media. Handsomely rewarded for being in the right place at the right time and little else.

A cock.

Folk that leave for the old firm tend to get it tight - always have. (walker, mcdonald etc)

Folk that leave because they think they should be playing at a higher level and publicly go on about it tend to get it tight - always have. (wishart, kerr, pearson, mccormack)

Some (usually journeymen types) leave without much to say and dont get much in the way of focused abuse when they return. (mcbride, hamilton etc)

others conduct themselves in a decent manner and are held in decent esteem (mcfadden, porter)

some leave in decent terms then walk back into it (Lee (I used to pretend to be Dougie Arnott / no in fact I've always supported rangers) McCulloch, Tommy (30 mins at Chelsea) Boyd etc)

We tend to really rise to the occasion when one of ours goes direct to the OF though.

But actually won fewer games, gained fewer points, played poorer football and never seriously challenged Rangers for the Championship (unlike the previous season when we could and possibly SHOULD have won it).

Any grudge I had against McLeish went when he left after that he was someone elses problem but his time at the club was absolutely awful, there's no debate about that.

Still, if I remember correctly his last game in charge was a 6-2 victory over Hibs!

Was his last game not away to Dundee United and he put out an understrength team knowing he was off to Hibs on the Monday?

Just noticed a point about Lee McCulloch there - ask Lee himself about his 'Rangers allegiance' and you'll get a different story from the one he was forced to give to the h*n news :whistling::D

If ever there was a case to not have anyone cut their teeth at your club, Eck is that man. Not saying he's not a good manager, he should never have taken over at Fir Park.

At least we learned our lesson about handing halfwits their first managerial job after McCleish...

Malpas_head_final.png

Looking forward to Scott Leitch's reign.... :(

Frazzle

Was his last game not away to Dundee United and he put out an understrength team knowing he was off to Hibs on the Monday?

Just noticed a point about Lee McCulloch there - ask Lee himself about his 'Rangers allegiance' and you'll get a different story from the one he was forced to give to the h*n news :( :(

Don't need to ask him.

I read his brilliant interview in our 91 magazine while he was still at Wigan then his contrasting press and TV interviews on joining Gers.

Would it have been a sacking offence for him NOT to say he was a Rangers supporter? he could have said "I'm pleased to come back to the biggest club in Scotland" or some other shite - but if what your saying is correct he actually agreed to lie.

He had a choice be true to himself or play the game and he played the game. fair doos - but don't expect understanding from the East Stand (well not until he comes back as a player when we'll maybe think about forgiving him)

At least we learned our lesson about handing halfwits their first managerial job after McCleish...

Malpas_head_final.png

Looking forward to Scott Leitch's reign.... :(

Frazzle

Why? Has Scott Leitch never managed before? I'm sure he won something while at Ross County :(

As for McLiesh, only two decent things he has done at Brum according to the fans I speak to are a) got them promoted and b) when he can be arsed having McFadden in the side.

Although, it is very unfair to have him down as the one who relegated Brum as if it was not for McLiesh and his signings (mainly O'Connor, McFadden etc) they would have been relegated long before they were. Also, I have to thank him for given one of my favourite players another chance at the Premiership, as I don't think anyone deserves it more than Philips.

I'm not in the least surprised to read folks views on McLeish the manager - clearly some repressed memories being theraputically unleashed after all these years! :(

I am a bit surprised though at some of the views on McLeish the person. From my own dealings with them on that level I couldn't fault him. I did an interview with him for the Exiles Club and he was happy to talk at great length, posed for photos - as he did in the Euro away games too and was generally a very affable guy anytime I had any business with him.

No going to defend his managerial record mind you......

I don't rate him as a manager and Birmingham play shit, unattractive football for the coin the players are on.. It looks to me that Birmingham don't trust him with the £'s also.

Pleased to see Sturrock and Argyle stay up.

We should be grateful he moved when he did he managed to take Hibs down and we stayed up.

It is though, and I'm sure I've posted this before, his signing of John Hendry that I cannot fathom how anyone could trust him with any sort of transfer budget.

John Hendry played two games for Dundee and they loaned him out to Forfar he played 10 games and scored 6 goals and Terry Venables, no less, paid £50k to take him to Spurs in 1990. He played 1 full game for Spurs and one as a sub and that was his entire Tottenham career. In the five years he was there they loaned him out to Swansea and Charlton and various others but he never got near the first team again. So picture the scene, Spurs have a boy on their team whose experience at any level over 5 years is minimal they paid £50k for him but they have already written that off and would be willing to hand him over to anyone who will pay his fare. What does McLeish do, does he drive a hard bargain ask them to cover part of his wages for the first six months? No, he walks in offers £200k and Spurs bite the hand of him.

£200k for a nonentity that's played less than two games in 5 years and only cost them £50k. The laughter still rings around White Hart Lane when the name McLeish is mentioned.

Honestly, if ye didn't laugh, ye'd cry.

Just shades it as the worst manager ever, just ahead of Roger Hynd. But still the luckiest man alive, just ahead of Andy Watson. Does anybody know what he does?

Ah..... Roger Hynd. :) Those were the days my friends!! :lol:

Who can remember the chant from the Rangers fans of "Roger, Roger Shut Your Mouth" ?

Yuk...!!! Still makes me cringe. :(

To be fair, I think it was the board who wouldn't sanction the £250,000 for Ole Gunner. That apart, the rest is bang on the nose.

Sure it was a double deal or nothing scenario, £500k or £600k for Solskjaer + Ronny Johnsen. McLeish said Johnsen was a cracking player but Solskjaer would never be a good striker so the board pulled the plug

Not a big fan of McLeish and have been amazed at his good fortune, largely due to getting more than a fair crack of the whip by the Scottish media (mafia), however getting Birmingham out of the Championship is a good achievement. That is a tough league so credit where credit is due.

To put a positive spin on his time at Motherwell, I thought Van Der Gaag was a good signing (he scored that belter against Dunfermline to save us from relegation) and Scott Howie also did a job. The rest was mind blowing in it's ineptitude. Andy Roddie was the worst for me. That was a boy McLeish knew from his time at Aberdeen and he still signed him.

Walter Smith is the only other Scottish manager that gets that kind of lee-way to make mistakes by the press.