Mmg Off To Celtic

Easy Target

Whatever happens - we should sue the f*ck out of whomever gets our Manager. This has gone beyond the point of farcical.

Celtic obviously have a recruitment drive that involves doing bugger all for several weeks and then making a panic appointment. They are complete and utter tossers.

If McGhee leaves the club any later than next Monday we should seek not only compensation but also damages for lack of preparation for the new season.

I would hold out for £1 million at least. Fecking vultures ;)

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simmer ;)

I don't understand how it's farcical? McGhee has said that, as far as he is concerned, he will be leading us into the Europa League. He's not whoring himself about publicly, and as far as we are all aware, he hasn't even applied for the Celtic or Aberdeen jobs!

I am 100% certain that McGhee is on holiday just now, and when he returns very shortly, he'll be right back in about it, trying to sign up players and attempting to get us ready for the 2nd of July.

People need to chill ;)

Certainly the current situation is very disruptive to the club especially in view of our early start to the new Europa Cup. Yes, the very public speculation is upsetting for us all but what concerns me more is the behind the scenes manouvreing. The days of an interested club courteously contacting the managers' current club seem to be well and truly over. No doubt agents are acting as go-betweens sounding out their clients and conducting negotiations behind the backs of their clients' employers.

Whenever I hear the phrase "I've had no offical/formal contact from Club X" I always think "Ok but what about the unofficial contact through an agent"? Take Celtic for example - I don't believe for a minute that they haven't contacted the likes of Martinez, Coyle and Mowbray to sound them out. Its simply unthinkable that they would condone public links without consulting the individuals concerned. If Celtic/Aberdeen (delete as appropriate) have been wrongly linked to these names then why haven't they come out publicly and quashed these stories? Aberdeen will have been exactly the same. Murky dealings indeed.

The Telegraph says tonight....

Mark McGhee was installed as odds-on favourite, but there was no movement on that front on Friday night.

Tony Mowbray and Owen Coyle all remain on the club’s list of possible successors to Strachan, to the frustration of West Brom, Motherwell, Burnley and Aberdeen.

Mowbray started at the top of the bookies’ list of candidates but drifted off the pace as a considerable weight of money took McGhee to the status of odds-on favourite by early Friday afternoon. Steve Nicol, the former Liverpool and Scotland defender, also appeared on the radar on Friday night.

The 47-year-old, who has coached in the United States with Boston Bulldogs and New England Revolution since 1999, has established himself in the United States but has never lost his Scottish accent or a desire to measure himself at some stage against European coaches.

Telegraph Sport can confirm that McGhee is the principal back-up option but that he would be asked to become manager if Henrik Larsson agrees to become assistant manager, with Neil Lennon as first team coach.

The advantages of such an arrangement from Celtic’s point of view are that it would be less expensive than the compensation agreements that would have to be negotiated with either West Bromwich Albion or Burnley – thus freeing up a degree of cash for transfer movements – and that Larsson, who is still playing with Helsingborg, could be registered as a squad member for the hazardous Champions League qualifiers in July and August, effectively bolstering the team with a figure who remains talismanic, even at the advanced age of 37.

What is also clear is that none of the three main candidates would be greeted with unfettered and unanimous enthusiasm by the Celtic support.

However, the fans’ yearning for another Martin O’Neill, who stated on his arrival at Parkhead in 2000 that his father had told him to “crawl over broken glass’’ to take the Celtic job, cannot be easily satisfied on the resources currently available to the board.

A manager like David Moyes, experienced in the Premier League and tipped for bigger things when his time at Everton comes to an end, has passed the stage where the job would satisfy him – he was considered as a possible replacement for O’Neill and was interested at the time – but was subsequently secured for further service at Goodison by the sort of contract that Celtic cannot come close to matching.

Motherwell, meanwhile, are braced for McGhee’s departure, either to Celtic or Aberdeen. The Pittodrie club have put their own search for a manager on hold until Celtic decide whether or not they want McGhee, who is their preferred candidate to succeed Jimmy Calderwood at Pittodrie.

One likely target for Motherwell would be Terry Butcher, whose Inverness Caley Thistle side narrowly failed in their attempt to avoid relegation from the Scottish Premier League.

If Coyle has a change of heart – he has yet to sign the extended contract offered to him by Burnley as a reward for steering them to the Premier League – the Turf Moor side would be interested in Alan Irvine of Preston North End, as would West Brom, should Mowbray resolve to move back to Scotland.

Roberto Martinez of Swansea was an early target for Celtic but is now expected to join Wigan Athletic early next week, and John Hughes, the Falkirk manager, has declared his desire to be considered by the Welsh club, for whom he played for nine months in 1989. Yet another club without a manager, Hibernian, are expected to announce the appointment next week of the man to follow Mixu Paatelainen, who quit at the end of last month.

Actually despite my last post I have been reasonably calm. But there comes a point where the silence is deafening. I am not accusing McGhee of doing anything. In fact I have stated on this forum that he would only take the Celtic job in Scotland and nothing else. But I am starting to get a bit anxious as i do not want our pre season ruined because some teams want to take all summer to make their minds up.

The only club that matters to me is Motherwell - end of story!

Id like to see Terry Butcher back at the club as he done a fine job first time round, however i believe he remain loyal to Inverness and see them through the first division next year.

So would I. I have no gripes that he went off to Oz. It was too good an opportunity too ignore. At least we would not have to put up with the constant speculation that surrounds McGhoo.

Like most of the rest of us, if a better offer with more opportunities came around, we'd all look into it.

Personally, I'm not too bothered if MMG moves onto something else. With our limitations, how far really, would you expect someone to take our club each season?? Come the poll of where everyone will finish next season, many like me would vote for us to stay up. This way the club has a realistic chance of survival.

I'd also like to point out that this season we have qualified for Europe by 'default'. Okay, we've qualified 2 years in a row, but if others hadn't qualified (and they had the same disciplinary record) then we've had a mediocre season of finishing 7th.

If MMG does go, I'd like the club to have a bit of ambition, and maybe again, employ someone who is 'bigger than the club'. This would draw players to the club and also retain some of those already here.

What strikes me at the minute is that there seems to be very little strong expression as to whether people want McGhee to stay or go. I sense that among those who would like him to stay there is an air of resignation that he'll be leaving. The overriding sentiment here seems to be one of "whatever happens, get it out the way sooner rather than later so we can put the whole thing to bed". Let's hope it happens sooner rather than later...

From the Aberdeen P & J.

"The 13-day wait has been torturous for Dons supporters but the wheels are finally set to move into motion this weekend as Aberdeen edge closer to appointing a new manager.

The Dons' fate has been entwined with that of SPL rivals Celtic, who are also managerless. Aberdeen are waiting to discover if the Hoops will appoint Motherwell manager Mark McGhee – the Dons' prime candidate.

Celtic, Aberdeen and McGhee are involved in a managerial Mexican stand-off and the first to pull the trigger will set off a chain of events that will see new appointments early next week.

Aberdeen have several candidates in mind but will hold off working through their alternative shortlist until Celtic clarify McGhee's position this weekend.

McGhee is wisely keeping his options open and, while the Celtic job naturally appeals, the Dons position is an appetising alternative for the Gothenburg Great.

McGhee told the Press and Journal: "I have not received any calls to tell me I am in the frame for any job but, likewise, I have not any calls to tell me that I am not."

Neither Celtic, Aberdeen, Motherwell or McGhee were last night in a position to reveal their hands, but moves are afoot."

Having thought things over carefully, I have come to the view that I'd prefer him to move on. He had an excellent first season followed by a reasonable second one, albeit we failed to perform in just too many critical games. From a dispassionate analytical perspective it would have been good to see how he coped with a third one.

However, the constant speculation has become a serious irritant and indeed problem for the club. I can't ever recall such continuous speculation over a previos manager. Its making long term and indeed short term planning virtually impossible. We make our next European appearance in a few weeks time with pre season training before that, the prospect of a very thin squad and its now quite probable that we'll be changing managers. What players are going to sign in thise circumstances?

The only fear for me is who would replace MMcG. Of all the names mentioned, perhaps prematurely, not one fills me with any confidence. The position of Scott Leitch is also interesting. Reportedly he was also given a healthy wage rise when he was about to walk away from FP on his way to Tynecastle. Does that influence what we would pay for a new manager, assuming he isn't appointed himself? JB has been very loyal to him - how will that influence matters?

A lot of questions and the clock is ticking.

Looks like Celtic have got their man:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...tic/8086779.stm

Hard luck Marky boy.

Front page of the Record - Mogga for Celtic.

Not a mention of McGhee anywhere in the sports section wheter to do with Celtic of the Dons. The only story about 'Well is a wee article about the new pitch

Having thought things over carefully, I have come to the view that I'd prefer him to move on. He had an excellent first season followed by a reasonable second one, albeit we failed to perform in just too many critical games. From a dispassionate analytical perspective it would have been good to see how he coped with a third one.

However, the constant speculation has become a serious irritant and indeed problem for the club. I can't ever recall such continuous speculation over a previos manager. Its making long term and indeed short term planning virtually impossible. We make our next European appearance in a few weeks time with pre season training before that, the prospect of a very thin squad and its now quite probable that we'll be changing managers. What players are going to sign in thise circumstances?

A lot of questions and the clock is ticking.

Good post Dave. I certainly agree with your point that this has become a "serious irritant". It will not help our attempts to keep players or indeed attract new ones to the club.

That said I would rather he stays for maybe one more year. If as is looking likely he does not get the Celtic job, then I believe he will be here next season. I would be surprised if he took the Aberdeen job assuming he was even first choice there. Yes it is a bigger job - yes he will get paid more money, but their fans expectations are even more unrealistic than our own. Unless he finishes 3rd every year and wins a trophy he will be deemed a failure.

Nah - I suspect it is either Celtic or a job back down south.

Lies, damned lies, and complete bullshit in the papers so it seems. Wish, like everyone else, this would get sorted quickly as we really don't hav ethe time to be pissed about once again.......

Media reports that Tony Mowbray and Henrik Larsson are heading to Celtic are both wide of the mark on Saturday morning.

The Scottish tabloids are claiming Mowbray has beaten off competition from Mark McGhee to take the vacant managerial post left by Gordon Strachan at Celtic Park.

Meanwhile, it was also speculated that legendary Swedish goalscorer Larsson would return to take his coaching badges at the club – after recently revealing he is nearing a return to Scotland.

However, West Brom have denied the Mowbray stories on Saturday morning, while Larsson’s agent has been equally as negative about his client’s return.

"These rumours are not true at all," agent Rob Jansen told the Scottish Daily Mail.

"Henrik is still playing for Helsinborg in Sweden and it's impossible for him to break his contract or be part of anything happening at Celtic right now."

Switching focus to Mowbray, a West Brom spokesman insisted: "I can confirm that we have received no approach from Celtic regarding Tony Mowbray.”

"Mark is still managing Motherwell in Scotland and it's impossible for him to break his contract or be part of anything happening at Celtic/Aberdeen right now. Unless 1. due compensation is paid - 2. the mythical clause is activated - 3. Mark McGhee resigns"

Biggest thing for me is that our club play their first competitive match in 26 days time and we seem to be held hostage to other clubs brinkmanship

Ok, I've been reading this thread for the last few days and feel the need to contribute.

To me there seems to be alot of people panicking about stories in newspapers with no real fact to them. Looking at the BBC gossip page on various days shows that on that one page alone Celtic are ready to appoint 5/6 different people.

At no point has McGhee said or really even hinted that he'd be leaving and nor would I expect him to whether he is or isn't. Yes I would like him to stay but if he does leave I personally have no problem with it. In his first season his team produced probably the best football I have seen from a Motherwell team in my 22 years and even the season just ended I would consider to be a fairly successful one in comparison to previous regimes. Because of this it is only logical he will be linked with other jobs.

There are still 26 days until our first game and alot can happen in that time, if that does involve a change of manager then so be it, I have no doubt the board will be prepared for that possibility.

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.as...249698?UserKey=

Mowbray move clears way for McGhee

By Sean Wallace

Published: 06/06/2009

TONY Mowbray was today set to be named Celtic manager, subject to compensation.

A package of around £1 million will seal the switch of Mowbray from West Brom to Parkhead.

And that will clear the way for Aberdeen FC to make a move to make former Don Mark McGhee their new manager.

Motherwell boss McGhee, 52, is understood to top the Aberdeen FC board’s wish list to replace Jimmy Calderwood.

And the Gothenburg Great today dropped the biggest hint yet that he will leave Motherwell before the start of the season.

McGhee told the Evening Express: “If I am not at Motherwell at the start of the season, someone else will come in and get on with the job, so the Motherwell players will be fine.

“I am just waiting to see what happens.”

Having a manager thats good enough for bigger clubs to want, is a serious irritant??

Personally i'd love it if every single one of our players, our manager, and his assistant were all good enough to be constantly linked with bigger clubs, cos guess what...that means they are good!

If no-one wants them, it means they arent good enough for anyone to want, but then I genuinely think thats the only thing that would keep some folk content, if we were some wee insular club that never did anything and no-one was interested in.

Front page of the Record - Mogga for Celtic.

Not a mention of McGhee anywhere in the sports section wheter to do with Celtic of the Dons. The only story about 'Well is a wee article about the new pitch

That should tell you all you need to know. WBA have already claimed that no contact has been made from Celtic so this front and back page headline in today's DR appears to be complete and utter garbage.

I'll stick my neck out and say that McGhee will be appointed as Celtic manager within the next week.

does MMG drive a silver audi 4x4? I followed a car all the way down from Dundee to Motherwell yesterday with the letters MMG in the regi plate... check my daily record style investigating!!

Was he in Aberdeen?!? :thumbup: