• Derek Adams (Ross Country)
    • Luc Nijholt (None)
    • Terry Butcher + Maurice Malpas (ICT)
    • A.N. Other

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luc Nijolt?? Great player never a manager.

Never? Never ever? And you're basing this on...? I'm not suggesting he should be a shoe in, but he has as much coaching experience as McCart, and while he's only been a manager in his own right for 3 seasons since retiring as a player, he's been on the coaching side longer than McAllister, Lambert and Billy Reid.

I wish people would bear in mind we are Motherwell and experienced managers with blemish free track records will not be queueing up for the job. It's not like Nijholt (or McCart who I wouldn't say no to either) would be doing a McLeish and going straight from playing in the Premier League to first team manager in the Premier League. St Mirren had to take a chance on Alex Ferguson remember. Everyone has to start somewhere and as long as the person getting the job hasn't just completed their coaching badges or just been coaching for a year, who are we to judge? We're not likely to get a candidate who ticks all the boxes...

Never? Never ever? And you're basing this on...? I'm not suggesting he should be a shoe in, but he has as much coaching experience as McCart, and while he's only been a manager in his own right for 3 seasons since retiring as a player, he's been on the coaching side longer than McAllister, Lambert and Billy Reid.

I wish people would bear in mind we are Motherwell and experienced managers with blemish free track records will not be queueing up for the job. It's not like Nijholt (or McCart who I wouldn't say no to either) would be doing a McLeish and going straight from playing in the Premier League to first team manager in the Premier League. St Mirren had to take a chance on Alex Ferguson remember. Everyone has to start somewhere and as long as the person getting the job hasn't just completed their coaching badges or just been coaching for a year, who are we to judge? We're not likely to get a candidate who ticks all the boxes...

Quite agree, if someone with an unblemished and proven track record applies by all means give them the job. Hell if some with a slightly tarnished but relatively proven record applies(that doesn't include bobby williamson, I said slightly tarnished not abysmal) by all means give it them if their record is the best. But there is a serious liklihood we going to have to talent spot and keep our fingers crossed.

Of all the relatively untried names mentioned Nijholt is the one who has quietly built up the most impressive coaching CV, still somewhat unknown quantity as a manager but I'd have him ahead of McCart who might be brilliant but has largely worked on the youth side of things.

He my first choice at the moment but if we can poach someone with proven quality fantastic!

I was pro-Nijholt two years ago when McGhee got the position, voiced concerns at the time re: McGhee''s track record re: club loyalty and turnover, isn't it funny how things pan out... :lol:

For me the plusses for Nijholt still remain, popular with the fans thus breathing space, track record with clubs like AZ, arguably the model for any wee provincial side in Europe and exposure to European coaching methods. He will need someone with Scottish experience beside him this could be either an auld heid like Craigie Broon or wee Tam, or someone like McCart who knows the club and the SPL well. Fingers crossed.

Managed to make my way through most of this thread and I have to say that Luc was my choice the last time before Desparate Dan got the job!

This time though, I`m not so sure Luc would be my first choice. I take on board that he has some experience but from what i can gather it is mainly at the coaching/assistant manager level.

I think we should wait and see who applies as, over the years, we have had a few interesting applications have we not?? - Was there not a top dutch manager (hiddink maybe?) who applied for the job prior to kampman or Mcleish getting it. Cannae quite remember!

My own choice would be Co-Adrianse for what its worth! - He has an outstanding record of taking small(er) teams and having decent success with them. Did he not win the league with AZ Alkmaar in Holland?

In saying that, im pretty sure he will be in a job somewhere and would be outside the realms of our compensation payment limits even if he did want to take our job!

Anyway, riddance to Muttley as I certainly dont want a half hearted manager in charge of our club.

Good on JB for maximising every penny from the sheepies and roll on next season, Europa and all! :lol:

Managed to make my way through most of this thread and I have to say that Luc was my choice the last time before Desparate Dan got the job!

This time though, I`m not so sure Luc would be my first choice. I take on board that he has some experience but from what i can gather it is mainly at the coaching/assistant manager level.

I think we should wait and see who applies as, over the years, we have had a few interesting applications have we not?? - Was there not a top dutch manager (hiddink maybe?) who applied for the job prior to kampman or Mcleish getting it. Cannae quite remember!

My own choice would be Co-Adrianse for what its worth! - He has an outstanding record of taking small(er) teams and having decent success with them. Did he not win the league with AZ Alkmaar in Holland?

In saying that, im pretty sure he will be in a job somewhere and would be outside the realms of our compensation payment limits even if he did want to take our job!

Anyway, riddance to Muttley as I certainly dont want a half hearted manager in charge of our club.

Good on JB for maximising every penny from the sheepies and roll on next season, Europa and all! :lol:

On making yer way through the thread you missed the best bits ya mentalist :lol:

Co Adrianse with Luc as assistant won the league with Red Bull in Austria last year and both are free agents.

Adrianse, I imagine, will be out of our league.

Shite...!!!

As i said, I managed to read most of the thread!! :P

That being the case, I hearby plead, nae demand that our managerial team for next season are Co Adrianse and Luc Nijholt.

Where were they before? - Red bull i think u said. Can`t imagine they would have been paid more than what Muttley and side kick were on here, if reports are to be believed.

I would have been negotiating with them before desparate dan had emptied his office.

I know flow and Leeann read these boards! - A word in JB`s ear and we have a winning team. He is suited to smaller clubs. I`m sure Adrianse had a not so successful spell at Ajax and then moved down so to speak to AZ and was a revelation. He has always taken on smaller clubs as a job if I remember correctly.

I reckon they would be brilliant for us if they were to arrive.

Come on JB, you know its right!! :mad:

Where were they before? - Red bull i think u said. Can`t imagine they would have been paid more than what Muttley and side kick were on here, if reports are to be believed.

Red Bull Salzburg will be paying a shit-load more than Motherwell.

They are rolling in it, in terms of Austrian league standards.

They in the past have been able to knock back multi-million pound bids for Marc Janko.

They have been able to attract players like Vonlanthen, Zickler and and Kovac (the latter two obviously nearing the end of their careers).

With the funding from Red Bull they will be far superior to Motherwell in all aspects.

So, Adriaanse and Nijholt must have been on a fair whack. Especially as Adriaanse has history of taking top jobs that as a result can offer decent wages, he wouldn't suddenly just take a massive pay cut to join RB Salzburg.

Red Bull Salzburg will be paying a shit-load more than Motherwell.

They are rolling in it, in terms of Austrian league standards.

They in the past have been able to knock back multi-million pound bids for Marc Janko.

They have been able to attract players like Vonlanthen, Zickler and and Kovac (the latter two obviously nearing the end of their careers).

With the funding from Red Bull they will be far superior to Motherwell in all aspects.

So, Adriaanse and Nijholt must have been on a fair whack. Especially as Adriaanse has history of taking top jobs that as a result can offer decent wages, he wouldn't suddenly just take a massive pay cut to join RB Salzburg.

So what about we do that and our new name can be Irn Bru Motherwell or sumthin like that :mad:

Jim Gannon!

Have a gander:Jim_Gannon

On looking at the usual suspects though for a club of our stature - I think he's the best by a long shot.

Pedigree and he plays flowing football.

Would perhaps represent Boyle pulling another rabbit out the hat.

I wouldnt be too dissapointed if he rocked up to fir park - going on that read anyway.

Pedigree and he plays flowing football.

Would perhaps represent Boyle pulling another rabbit out the hat.

I wouldnt be too dissapointed if he rocked up to fir park - going on that read anyway.

Who will advice John Boyle on who to go for? I just can't see that JB will know these names off his own back. Will they use these messageboards as a reference or is that being naive?

I suppose the easiest way is to invite applications.

Who will advice John Boyle on who to go for? I just can't see that JB will know these names off his own back. Will they use these messageboards as a reference or is that being naive?

I suppose the easiest way is to invite applications.

Im sure a succesful business tycoon like Boyle knows a good bit about recruiting the right managers for his businesses, and a lot more than a mob of fannies on the internet. :mad:

(Zoom excluded obviously)

I doubt they'll exactly be reading the forums for names they hadn't thought of, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone in their midst (mentioning no names!) might at least be keeping them abreast of the overall gist of our opinions...

I'd imagine, though, that the rest of the board, coaching and scouting staff would be JB's main advisors.