• Craig Brown (None) + Young Assistant
    • Davie Hay (Livingston) + Young Assistant
    • Stephen Craigan (Motherwell) - Player/Manager
    • Jim Jeffries (Kilmarnock)
    • Derek Adams (Ross Country)
    • Luc Nijholt (None)
    • Terry Butcher + Maurice Malpas (ICT)
    • A.N. Other

Report in scumday mail suggests Macallister would take the job for myself i think this would be a mistake as he he would be another Magoo off at first opportunity IF he was a success 10 managers in last 7 years says it all the club MUST get this right and Gary mac is wrong direction.

We are going to have to accept that if JB does appoint the right man there is a very good chance that he will be gone after a few seasons.

After Friday's disappointment I am starting to get excited again. If it was any one of Nijholt, McAllister, Gannon then I would be happy.

I would also be happy if we were waving good bye to our new manager in 2011 because we had beaten Aberdeen to 3rd place two seasons in a row.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possible news here... out with my dad just now and he's says he saw Luc Nijholt getting out of a car in uddingston main street yesterday afternoon..not sure if thats anything to read into or if he still just spends some time in scotland?

I see in today paper Macca has said he'd be looking to come back if the setanta thing can get sorted!

Cheers, Dez

Report in scumday mail suggests Macallister would take the job for myself i think this would be a mistake as he he would be another Magoo off at first opportunity IF he was a success 10 managers in last 7 years says it all the club MUST get this right and Gary mac is wrong direction.

So, let me get this right. You would rather get a total haddie, a run of the mill Jim Duffy who would keep us ticking over in 9th place, season after season than get a real coup of a Manager who is looking to get his career moving and will take us to third/europe/cup finals along the way?

Don't get me wrong there is a way do go about doing this and McGhee got it wrong but if someone like Gary Mac came here with the view to doing well and getting a job down in England and who knows what in the future AND takes us to a new level in the process it would be folly to not accept that and revel in it.

So, let me get this right. You would rather get a total haddie, a run of the mill Jim Duffy who would keep us ticking over in 9th place, season after season than get a real coup of a Manager who is looking to get his career moving and will take us to third/europe/cup finals along the way?

Don't get me wrong there is a way do go about doing this and McGhee got it wrong but if someone like Gary Mac came here with the view to doing well and getting a job down in England and who knows what in the future AND takes us to a new level in the process it would be folly to not accept that and revel in it.

Couldn't have put it better masel. We just have to accept our best managers, coaches and players are offski when a decent offer comes in. It has been happening since day 1.

I Hate to think what it would cost us on electricity bills to power his sunbed. In saying that he would have us well fired up against the Sheep.

Jimmys not ruling out SPL return

It wouldn't be a bad appointment he would get ma support. And if he got us to Europe 3 times in 5 years he'd be a legend!!!

I like wee Tommy but I think the job needs a younger manager. I would welcome him back in some sort of supporting role to the new boss but I doubt we would have the cash available for yet another wage. The new manager would probably bring in his own backroom staff and there would be no money to bring back Tommy.

Then im glad your not John Boyle.

I want the best possible success for Motherwell, and success starts with a good manager. If he's good enough to get punted onto a bigger club in a year or 2 years then it means we have had a succesful couple of seasons.

I'll happily take 3rd and 7th and the manager offski than a couple of relegation battles with dross served up on the pitch thankyou very much.

I like wee Tommy but I think the job needs a younger manager. I would welcome him back in some sort of supporting role to the new boss but I doubt we would have the cash available for yet another wage. The new manager would probably bring in his own backroom staff and there would be no money to bring back Tommy.

I think wee Tommy's time as manager has come and gone.....but he'd be a cracking number two and sounding board for a guy such as Nijholt.. :D

I think the reason a lot of people are worried about getting an ambitious manager is that he'll be off in a couple of years and leave us in the lurch again a la McGhee. This is the main area where McGhee failed IMO, he didn't put anything into place for the club outwith his own time.

If we were to get a talented manager, looking for a good couple of years with us before moving on to bigger things I would bite your hand off...provided his planning is for the long term and he gets the team into a good position for the future, even if he won't be part of it.

I'd rather lose managers for the right reason i.e. Mark McGhee, than for the wrong reasons i.e. Maurice Malpas every time. :D

Give me a guy who brings us relative success then moves on every time. If he uses MFC as a shop window then so beit, at least he'll give his best to attract attention.

We've made some pretty poor appointments in the last decade;- Billy Davies, Harry Kampman, Maurice Malpas .............. here's hoping JB has the savvy to avoid a repeat.

Money aside, MFC has to be an attractive proposition for someone. No media pressure, a new pitch and European football to look forward to. :D

I'd rather lose managers for the right reason i.e. Mark McGhee, than for the wrong reasons i.e. Maurice Malpas every time. :D

Give me a guy who brings us relative success then moves on every time. If he uses MFC as a shop window then so beit, at least he'll give his best to attract attention.

We've made some pretty poor appointments in the last decade;- Billy Davies, Harry Kampman, Maurice Malpas .............. here's hoping JB has the savvy to avoid a repeat.

Money aside, MFC has to be an attractive proposition for someone. No media pressure, a new pitch and European football to look forward to. :D

Spot on Pie.

Any odds anywhere? I have not been able to find anything.

Nothin mate but i'l take bets :D

Nijholt 8/11

McCart 2/1

McCallister 9/4

Gannon 8/1

Jimmy Calderwood 10/1

Byrne 12/1

Butcher 16/1

McCoist 33/1

Craigan 50/1

Adams 66/1

Sir Alex Ferguson 1000/1

Fabio Capello 1000/1

Jose Murhino 1000/1

Malpas 5000/1

ME 5000/1

Odds subject to change and others available on request!!! :D

Good on you Gary. Despite my username, I'm in the Gary Mac camp. Leeds are my 2nd team, great player for both clubs, not to mention the scousers. Got Leeds to the play-off finals in 2008 and was 5 points off the play-off place when he got the sack in December. Just trying to balance this clammer for Nijholt :D

Nijholt 8/11

McCart 2/1

McCallister 9/4

Gannon 8/1

Jimmy Calderwood 10/1

Byrne 12/1

Butcher 16/1

McCoist 33/1

Craigan 50/1

Adams 66/1

Sir Alex Ferguson 1000/1

Fabio Capello 1000/1

Jose Murhino 1000/1

Malpas 5000/1

ME 5000/1

Odds subject to change and others available on request!!! :D

Seems about right. Cheers. :D

Nijholt now has two years more experience in a management situation than he had then, and the most recent of tose under a top world-class manager. He's got to be a serious candidate, certainly worthy of an interview and serious consideration. Gannon would look like a superb appointment too.

Nijholt has had two more years 'coaching' experience and that's totally different from management, the prospect of Nijholt in the managerial seat at Fir Park does not exactly thrill me. I believe we need someone with a bit more managerial experience, i.e. as a manager.

Jim Gannon is about the best of the bunch currently being mentioned although his man management skills seem to come from the same handbook as the Kray twins.

Of the names mentioned I could live with Nijholt, Gannon, McAllister or McCart. Don't want Calderwood or Jeffries. There may be other candidates out there who could do a job that we know nothing about. I have a funny feeling it will be an 'unknown' out of leftfield that gets it. Interesting times...

Is it any wonder the board can't seem to get anything right in the eyes of the fans when we have this kind of nonsense. You've dismissed two proven managers in the SPL both with European experience, and extolled the virtues of 4 relative novices.

Here's what Gary said last time just before McGhee was appointed

But former Well and Scotland midfielder Gary McAllister appears to have distanced himself from the job.

"I have not heard anything from the club," the former Coventry City manager told the Daily Record.

"But, if I was to come back into the game, I would be looking to go somewhere competitive rather than having to sell anyone that could trap a ball.

"You don't expect to go into Motherwell and get millions and millions of pounds to spend.

"But, when you take a job like that, you want to have a chance of being competitive rather than hanging on. "That would be my big concern about going there."

There is very little between 10 teams in the league. If you can build a hard working team with a little bit of skill added in, you will do well in the SPL. I think Gary Mac would do not too badly. He should still have some contacts down south. Didn't really like the thought of him coming to Fir Park after his comments two years ago but maybe he has seen what can be acheived with our limited budget and a decent manager ( yes McGhee ). Gary MacAllister(manager) Luc Nijholt (coach/assistant) :D

McCoist 33/1

Odds subject to change and others available on request!!! ;)

Hmmm 'Coisty' anyone? We could do worse. I reckon he will bring a 'Butcher' style of management to the club and really bond with the squad. He is well liked and well known and could get us a few good signings. Clearly he would want to prove himself as a manager to eventually get the Rangers job but if he does well with us to do that it is fine with me (although clearly not others :D ).

Like I said we could do worse.