Setanta Up Jobby Creek

Juan Kerse

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But this would not only give Sky complete control of UK footie, it'd also remove the only real competition they have for football.

I am quite sure they will be sitting waiting and watching. They could of course line up a deal with the SPL - contracts permitting and that would indeed be the death knell of Setanta! I would be very surprised if no TV deal was forthcoming next season whether it is Setanta or AN other. I hate to admit it but Celtic and Rangers have a largeish worldwide audience.

Surprised Setanta have said nothing or very little. PR is appalling. Right now I pay a monthly subscription and i would assume many are cancelling because they do not know what will happen next. Just the last thing Setanta needs.

Where would they show us ...................

SUMMER FOOTBALL

Even the english would watch.

Time we thought out of the box to get on the box!

That'd never work!

it's too sensible.

Look at the sky channels right now - screaming out for a game or two!

SUMMER FOOTBALL

That my friend IS the answer.

Like others have said though, FAR too sensible!!

Was reading an article today that pointed out that, in terms of TV revenue Scotland is punching WAY above its weight and is top outside the 'Big 5'. Almost double the likes of supposedly 'equal or better leagues' like the Swedish Allveskan, Dutch Eredevisie etc..

We all hate to admit it but we really do need the Old Firm for TV revenue.

Any guesses who could be in trouble? I would have though Killie and Inverness would be struggling.

I think you could possibly add us into that too.

The Setanta money is a large part of our income. I'm not 100% sure about this but was Jim Patterson the last player we sold? If that is the case then we won't have had any big injections of cash for well over a year. The club are reporting an increase in sales of season tickets but you have to wonder how many will be new fans and how many will just be people looking to take advantage of the 10% offer that was going until the end of May.

We really need either to get the money from Setanta or hope that we can get a deal with Sky or perhaps a split agreement like Sky/BBC BBC/STV or something and hope that whatever deal is signed won't be too far under the current deal in terms of cash we recieve.

Otherwise it might not be that comfortable a season for us after all...

Ah how could I forget Porter. Hopefully that would be enough to offset any loss this deal collapsing would entail.

You've got to wonder how many teams in the SPL are going to be in a buying mood over the summer though if we do try to let players go. Even if Setanta do manage to make this payment that is due now clubs are going to be nervous about spending much money over the summer - might make it difficult if we try to offload Reynolds. We, along with just about every over SPL team, are going to be looking to clubs in the English Championship and lower to come in for some of our players.

That my friend IS the answer.

Like others have said though, FAR too sensible!!

Was reading an article today that pointed out that, in terms of TV revenue Scotland is punching WAY above its weight and is top outside the 'Big 5'. Almost double the likes of supposedly 'equal or better leagues' like the Swedish Allveskan, Dutch Eredevisie etc..

We all hate to admit it but we really do need the Old Firm for TV revenue.

Summer football could make a difference, but again not a huge amount I don't think. I can see them want to shoe horn all 4 OF games into the months of June and July to maximise the viewing figures as outside those two months their SPL coverage be very much a sideshow.

I daresay they might consider some sort of deal but I doubt moneywise it'll be as much as what Setanta were offering albeit more than they could afford. Wouldn't mind being proven wrong though just to save the potential drama of having to flog a couple of important players to make ends meet. Having looked at the club accounts over the years the TV money does make a significant chunk of our income.

We definately need the Old Firm in our league as much as we may hate them because what company would pay to show the SPL without the Old Firm? As much as I do hate to say it the Old Firm are actually helping us by staying in the SPL, we would lose a large chunk of OUR income from Setanta if they left as Setanta are only interested in showing their games. The lack of quality in the SPL is terrible (not Motherwell mind you) without Celtic and Rangers. What self minded company would pay a league £100 million plus over 4 years to watch Hamilton v Hibs or St Mirren v Aberdeen?

SUMMER FOOTBALL

How do you squeeze a 10 month season into 'the summer' and what do you do when there are World Cups and European Championships every two years? And then what do teams in the Champions League or the Europa League do in November, December, January etc?

Also, I've said this before, but in the summer people have better things to do. You would be lucky to get people into the stadiums in good weather never mind get 'The English' to sit indoors during good weather to watch Kilmarnock vs Dundee United.

How do you squeeze a 10 month season into 'the summer' and what do you do when there are World Cups and European Championships every two years? And then what do teams in the Champions League or the Europa League do in November, December, January etc?

I dunno, but they manage it not so badly here in Ireland. (But yes, I know there aren't many players from the Irish league in the Irish national squad, and there won't be any Irish teams threatening the group stages of the Champions League anytime soon.)

Also, I've said this before, but in the summer people have better things to do. You would be lucky to get people into the stadiums in good weather never mind get 'The English' to sit indoors during good weather to watch Kilmarnock vs Dundee United.

I think your point about squeezing a 10 month season into 'the summer' is fascitious to say the least mate. Obviously it would overlap and we would have plenty of football in October/November/Early Dec even. All we would be doing is putting the summer 'break' in at the winter, with a lengthy close season from Early Dec through to Early Feb. Given the pitch problems, chronic weather and low crowds competing with free world class premiership football in the pub at this time is it such a bad thing?

There could be a summer 'shutdown' akin to the time off for the current 'winter shutdown' in many countries, halfway through season, perhaps around Early June and this would allow players - and fans a 'summer holiday' or to head off the European/World Cup if one is on. After that, the Season would be back up and running in Early July.

I reckon gates would increase, especially during the 'summer' months with 'floating' fans going to games on a summers day/evening with little else to do. Your point about 'the English' not wanting to watch it as they are in the pub in a summers evening? - Exactly what we want!! OK, the highlight of their weekend might not be Motherwell v Rangers but they will still watch it in the pub!!, agian with little else to do. Setanta/Sky know this, it is why they screen Monday night crap - people have little else to do!!!

Having said all that I really can't think of a reason NOT to go with summer football, in this format!!

There could be a summer 'shutdown' akin to the time off for the current 'winter shutdown' in many countries, halfway through season, perhaps around Early June and this would allow players - and fans a 'summer holiday' or to head off the European/World Cup if one is on. After that, the Season would be back up and running in Early July.

Having said all that I really can't think of a reason NOT to go with summer football, in this format!!

Doing that you would only really be adding one summer month to the season. We already play early August (earlier if you get into the early Europa Cup rounds) to late May.

Early June would be pointless as that's during term time so a high percentage of fans/players wouldn't be able to use the 'summer holiday'.

Clubs survived before TV money !

The more TV money that gets pumped into football the more clubs go into debt ! It doesn't make sense. Am I right in saying nearly all the Premiership clubs are in debt despite Sky putting millions in. Clubs don't benefit from the money,it's all going to greedy players and agents. The players will have to realise the gravy train has stopped and join the real world.

If clubs like Motherwell, Killie etc can only offer players £7-800 a week and they don;t like it then where will they go ? not all of them can go down south.

The players will have to realise the gravy train has stopped and join the real world.

Spot on sir ................. Agents have ruined the game, encouraging players to hold clubs to ransom. Time they were booted out, with the Players Union taking up the role.

Clubs survived before TV money !

Yeas, but that was before, funnily enough - football on TV!!

If we don't get the money from a new deal in Scotland we will not only be strapped of cash and putting a poorer product on the park we will be competing with highly popular 'Grand Slam Sunday' superstars on the TV. The fact of the matter is Chelsea v Manchester Utd on the TV is far more attractive these days to alot of locals than Motherwell v Hibs, whether that game is a real game or on telly too!!

Times have changed and I just don't buy the argument that fans will come rushing back because the SPL is not on their telly, something better always will be. As a result, what will happen to the 3000 odd die hards who crave their Satuday 3PM 'fix' of football? Yup, even HIGHER gate prices to balance some of the loss of TV revenue.

Honestly, say hello to the beggining of the end if we don't get a TV deal. That is of course you call it a day in a couple of years time when Motherwell charge you £32 to watch Billy Mehmet captain Motherwell to a resounding 0-0 draw with St Johnstone in front of 1700 fans........

If we don't get the money from a new deal in Scotland we will not only be strapped of cash and putting a poorer product on the park we will be competing with highly popular 'Grand Slam Sunday' superstars on the TV. The fact of the matter is Chelsea v Manchester Utd on the TV is far more attractive these days to alot of locals than Motherwell v Hibs, whether that game is a real game or on telly too!!

Spot on Sir. That is the crux of the problem. Increasing numbers of footy fans only want to watch the best. Who wants to watch a team that doesn't turn it on every week? Who wants to watch their team go through a season trophyless? Nothing whatsoever wrong in that I guess. However its simply not sustainable. Taken to its logical conclusion we'll end up with a European super league of perhaps 14 teams playing each other 4 times a season with the quality of football declining as small feeder clubs like Ajax, PSG, Bayern Munich and Aston Villa go to the wall.

I dunno... maybe Virgin Media or ITV would be interested in taking it on - Virgin Sports as a new channel maybe? And ITV have plenty of channels available. Only drawback being is that we probably wouldnt get anywhere near as much money.

It would be interesting to see if Setanta have paid up the English clubs in full yet as part of their Premiership contract. If so then the SPL would have every right to pursue legal action.