Setanta Up Jobby Creek

Juan Kerse

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from paying way over the odds for EPL games, I notice the other reason for going tits up is poor customer service. I'll vouch for that. I cancelled at Christmas and have only recently stopped getting pestered to re-connect. I found their service stank. Haven't missed Setanta one bit.

I have heard they are almost impossible to deal with when trying to cancel. My Dad phoned them tried to cancel and they told him they couldn't do it! They said he had to put it in writing and when he asked the address they told him they don't give out the address!!!

He told them to fuck off and cancelled his Direct Debit, I think they are still trying to get money out of them!!

Off the tv screens by midnight.

I know what you mean about cancelling. Got in touch with them through their website to cancel about 2 months ago. Heard nothing. Got ed up wiating on the phine for them, so cancelled the DD.

They called last week and asked me to make the payment plus the next one due at the end of the month. But said I'd still need to send them in writing a cancellation request. They gave me an email address and siad I would get a notification returned.

I then said to call me this weekend and I'd sort out what I was due, once I had confirmation the cancellation was going through.

Guess what?

Still haven't got that confirmation and now they can twist for their money.

If we could ensure that no SPL team goes bust, I'd love a season of no live coverage.

It would be tremendous if we could all kicking off at 3pm on a Saturday and have a decent highlights package. I remember I used to get excited when the cameras were at Fir Park, knowing that we would be the main game on Sportscene that night.

If we could ensure that no SPL team goes bust, I'd love a season of no live coverage.

It would be tremendous if we could all kicking off at 3pm on a Saturday and have a decent highlights package. I remember I used to get excited when the cameras were at Fir Park, knowing that we would be the main game on Sportscene that night.

:whistling:

Turns out all the extra money from TV didn't further fitba's cause one iota. It only lined the pockets of players and agents.

+1

Gits! Better cancel my direct debit! The Auld Squirm won't go their own way I don't think, someone will pick the broadcasting up at a reduced rate.

The Auld Squirm won't go their own way I don't think, someone will pick the broadcasting up at a reduced rate.

I heard on the BBC that the Old Squirm could go their own way. Now what exactly would this involve? What if they did and the other 10 clubs wouldn't co-operate? What games would they broadcast? OF home games? Would they require other clubs' agreement to televise them at Ibrox & Parkhead?

I canceled my Setanta on sunday got this to day, i will go into the bank tomorrow and cancel direct debit

Thank you for your e-mail.

I am sorry to hear you wish to cancel your subscription with Setanta Sports however, I can confirm that your request will be processed and your subscription will be terminated 30 days from your next billing date.

At Setanta Sports we have the best premium live sport on TV including top flight and international football, the best boxing from both sides of the Atlantic and the UFC exclusively and would love you to continue to enjoy this.

As we want to ensure you don’t miss any of the action over the coming months, we have put together 3 great cost saving options that make Setanta even better value for money.

All you need to do is choose which offer you want and call us on 08712 00 73 51.

Option 1 - £5.00 per month for the next 2 months.

Option 2 - £10.99 per month for the next 6 months.

Option 3 - £9.99 per month for the next 12 months.

Why pay £14.99 re-connection fee later this year when you can watch all of our live sport over the coming months and save up to £50. To take advantage of any of these offers you should call now on 08712 00 73 51.

If you have any other queries then please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Services team on 08712 00 33 22 or email us on customerservices@setanta.com. We are open seven days a week between 9am and 9pm.

Yours sincerely,

Barry McKeown

Cancellations Dept

I heard on the BBC that the Old Squirm could go their own way. Now what exactly would this involve? What if they did and the other 10 clubs wouldn't co-operate? What games would they broadcast? OF home games? Would they require other clubs' agreement to televise them at Ibrox & Parkhead?

Well if I were a diddy club chairman I'd be playing hardball and demanding half of what they're getting for a live broadcast showing my club. Only fair.

I work for sky television and we've just had a brief regarding setanta.

That as of today setanta has stopped taking new subscribers which puts it's future in major doubt.

What we've been told is that it's possible that by tonight the camera's will be off and the vultures will come out fighting for the spoils

:lol:

SKY REFUSED SETANTA PLEA

BSkyB chiefs have confirmed they refused a £50million lifeline to Setanta.

Sky's chief executive Jeremy Darroch said they were "a broadcaster not a bank" but insisted they had no wish to see Setanta go into administration.

Setanta had asked Sky for a £50million interest-free loan and in return offered access to the live rights to 46 Premier League games next season as an add-on option to Sky Sports.

The Irish broadcaster is in crisis with a payment of more than £30million due to the Premier League this week and backers refusing to advance them any more money.

Darroch told a Sports Industry Group event in London: "Our job is not to fund other companies.

"We have been talking to Setanta, and trying to work with them and help them.

"At the end of the day we are not a bank, we are a broadcaster, not a supplier of working capital to a business and rights holder.

"Our job is not to fund other companies. This is a huge amount of money."

ESPN is favourite to step in and take over Setanta's Premier League games if they go into administration but they refused to comment.

Meanwhile, Setanta's subscription services for new customers became unavailable on Tuesday. Website applicants were flashed a message saying: "Oops! Something has gone wrong...".

Setanta's customer services confirmed to callers new subscriptions were unavailable but they hoped the situation would have returned to normal by Wednesday.

The Premier League should not be too badly affected should Setanta go into administration as they have only won one of the six live broadcast packages for 2010 to 2013.

The Football Association, who have a £150million deal for England and FA Cup games with Setanta, and the Scottish Premier League have more significant problems however even though their agreements have been front-loaded in terms of cash being paid in advance.

Under a pre-arranged deal, ITV would take over the rights to up to eight England away friendlies for a pre-agreed sum.

The FA Cup would provide more problems but it is understood the FA would approach ITV in the first instance to see if they want to take over any live games. If ITV were not interested, they would approach other broadcasters - both terrestrial and subscription services.

Its a shame all the clubs need the satanta or a similar deal simply for the cash. I use to also love the wait seeing the well get the main match on Scotsport or sportscene... If setanta go bust I'm sure Sky or someone else will be in to get the rights of the SPL. And if that happens the money will surely be poor

The main page is fine.

However try and subscribe and you get This

You can't subscribe by phone either.

At least they're being honourable about it, would anyone rather they took the money and then went bust and gave you the Barry Ferguson salute when you try to get your money back and get 10p in the pound from the administrators

I heard on the BBC that the Old Squirm could go their own way. Now what exactly would this involve?

The old firm going their 'own way' would prob involve Live games being shown that only involve one Old Firm team or both plus they keep all the money from the TV deal to themselves.... oh wait a minute...... :whistling:

They can fuck off.

Setanta Saved?

For a while anyway!!

This is from today's Rancid

Struggling Setanta thrown a lifeline at 11th hour as SPL hopes to avoid meltdown

Jun 10 2009 Keith Jackson

SCOTTISH football may have been spared a catastrophic meltdown scenario at the 11th hour last night when crisis-hit broadcasters Setanta ditched plans to call in administrators.

Record Sport can reveal the top flight came within a couple of hours of financial disaster but they were spared from ruin after crisis talks were held in London at a meeting of the Irish Satellite firm's top brass. It had been fully anticipated Setanta would go into administration this morning and that the company's staff would be given the devastating news at a series of meetings with management.

That would have led to Setanta being taken off the air immediately and would have wiped out the £134m bounty which has been guaranteed to the SPL over the next five years.

But a dramatic U-turn was made late last night after a rescue package was proposed which may stop the broadcaster going to the wall for the time being at least.

It's now expected the ailing TV company will announce today their intention to battle on back from the brink - news which will be welcomed by Scotland's top 12 clubs who have been anxiously preparing for the worst.

By yesterday afternoon many club bosses were bracing themselves for the news Setanta's devise was inevitable and that the SPL would kick off next season without a TV deal for the first time since its inception in 1998.

However, it is as yet unclear if last night's dramatic developments can save the satellite firm in the long term - or if it's simply a stalling tactic.

A source told Record Sport:"It's been a quite incredible day. At lunchtime things looked extremely bleak and administration seemed certain.

"Arrangements were being made to notify the staff and the take Setanta off air. But everything changed later and now it seems there is fresh hope Setanta may survive. This has to be encouraging for all of Scottish football because without a TV deal there is a very real possibility that as many as three SPL clubs would not be able to stay in business and could go under before the turn of the year.

"We are not sure if Setanta can be rescued but for the time being at least there is some hope. The SPL can only sit, wait and keep its fingers crossed."

Company chief Richard Sweeney will address Glasgow staff at an 11am meeting today. It was originally expected he would be delivering bad news but it now looks likely his message will be more upbeat.

Us giants ESPN are believed to have resurrected their interest in a rescue package.

If Setanta had been taken off air it would have resulted in the SPL breaching the terms of their current contract with the Beeb which is worth an extra £2.5m a year on top of the Setanta jackpot.

The BBC would have continued to cover matches with commentary on radio and online but the loss of the highlights package - with footage supposed to be captured by Setanta's cameras and then handed over to the terrestrial channel - would have cost the SPL a further £800,000-a-year in lost TV cash.

There were genuine fears that if Setanta had failed to come up with the final £3m instalment of their deal for the season just ended that at least three SPL clubs could have gone to the wall.

The situation looked bleak yesterday when the firm- who are also due to stump up more than £30m to the English Premier League next week - stopped taking new subscriptions and shut down parts of their call centres. Anxious SPL bosses Lex Gold and Ian Blair refused to comment but both are aware of the consequences of heading into a new season without any kind of TV deal. And they will know also it may prove impossible for them to come up with an alternative package at the 11th hour.

They have already had to bail out clubs with a £3m emergency paymentfollowing Setanta's failure to cough up last Monday but most of that money will be long gone before the next campaign starts.

Should the worst happen, there is still the hope satellite giants Sky could come to the rescue with a reduced offer to put Scottish football back on the box. However, BSkyB chiefs last night confirmed they had refused a £50m lifeline to Setanta.

Sky chief executive Jeremy Darroch said they were "a broadcaster not a bank" but insisted they had no wish to see Setanta go into administration.

Setanta had asked Sky bosses for a £50m interest-free loan and in return offered access to the live rights to 46 Premier League games in England next season as an add-on option to Sky Sports.

Darroch told a Sports Industry Group event in London: "Our job is not to fund other companies. We have been talking to Setanta and trying to work with them and help them. At the end of the day we are not a bank, we are a broadcaster."

Setanta's subscription services for new customers suddenly became unavailable yesterday. Website applicants were flashed a message saying: "Oops! Something has gone wrong...".

England's Premier League should not be too badly affected should Setanta fold as they have won only one of the six live broadcast packages for 2010 to 2013.

Everywhere else it seems that they will go into adminstration this morning.