Setanta Up Jobby Creek

Juan Kerse

Seems the greedy bastewards are ready to snatch the rights and screw us all. More money for the rest of the SPL, my arse.........

OLD FIRM'S BID TO BUY SPL TELEVISION

Jul 14 2009 Keith Jackson

EXCLUSIVE

Rangers and Celtic are planning to launch their own TV channel and bid for the rights to Scottish football.

The Old Firm are furious over the cut-price TV deal being offered to the SPL by Sky and ESPN in the wake of the collapse of Setanta.

And they held secret talks at the weekend to discuss a bid of their own.

Rangers chief executive Martin Bain said last night: "I can confirm that the Old Firm have had talks regarding the current broadcasting arrangements.

"We are deeply disappointed at the proposals on the table and are exploring other avenues. At this stage Idon't want to comment further."

Bain and Rangers chairman Sir David Murray met their Parkhead counterparts, Peter Lawwell and Dr John Reid, to find a way forward on the TV issue.

Both Old Firm clubs are furious that most other SPL teams seem willing to accept the "derisory" £ 65million, fiveyear deal on offer from ESPN and Sky.

The rest of the clubs look certain to rubberstamp the bid this week.

Cynical

The offer is worth roughly half the £ 130million the SPL would have banked from Setanta over four years.

But the Old Firm were always cynical about the Irish broadcasters' ability to actually pay the cash it had promised.

Rangers and Celtic are preparing to offer more than £ 25million to buy the rights for two years.

They claim that the other 10 clubs will each earn more cash if they accept their deal.

The Old Firmwould stand to make more money by either selling the rights on to a new bidder or launching their own pay-per-view channels.

The Record understands that Sir David Murray and Celtic's majority shareholder Dermot Desmond held urgent talks after last week's Hampden meeting with SPL executive chairman Lex Gold.

The two tycoons discussed some sort of breakaway TV deal and agreed to hold a further round of talks.

Any move to gazump Sky and ESPN will have to be tabled within the next 48 hours.

Asource close to the discussions said last night:"The Old Firm are very clear and united on this.

"There is a feeling that the offer on the table right now is tantamount to these broadcasters holding our game to ransom.

"In effect, Scottish football. has been asked to drop its standards and accept whatever they offer. It is ludicrous to agree to these conditions for the next four or five years.

"It would make far more sense for Rangers and Celtic to find the money to buy the rights for the next couple of years with an offer in excess of the terms on the table.

"That way, the other clubs will share a bigger guaranteed income. And the Old Firm would be in a position either to sell the rights on to a broadcaster themselves, or, more appealingly, to create their own Old Firm TV channels.

Lucrative

"Both clubs are well aware how lucrative the Old Firm derbies would be if launched on a pay-per-view platform.

"As it stands, because of the collapse of Setanta and some botched negotiations, their own TV income is dropping like a stone.

"It has gone down from £ 5 million a year when the new deal with Setanta was agreed, to £ 4 million a year when that deal was restructured, and now to a sum closer to £ 1.9 million a year.

"The Old Firm are no longer willing to allow the tail to wag the dog."

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its hight time the rest of the SPL grew some balls and fought this scurge of Scottish football that is the Old Firm. All they are after is a bigger slice of the pie as usual. If they come to an agreement and say we will split the revenue 12 ways then I'm for it but some how I don't think that will be on the table. Oh I hate them and will never trust them.

Sky & ESPN are taking the p#ss with a derisory offer as there is no competition for these rights. They are perfectly happy to match the costs for the EPL rights but are treating the SPL with contempt.

If any deal the Old firm puts on the table guarantees Motherwell FC more money over the next two years then good luck to them.

The EPL gets 100's of millions of £'s per annum from Sky yet they are only prepared to offer £13m per annum for the rights to show SPL football. As much as I hate to admit it - Celtic and Rangers have a large following in many places such as US, OZ, Ireland etc. Worth a lot more than what is on the table.

I hate to say it - but on this occasion I agree with them.

Could 'well survive with the new deal??? i think we could.

Could the old firm survive, or at least maintain their unquestionable domination by such a large margine?? i dont think so.

Surely with 10 out of 12 clubs agreeing to the new deal this is enough for the deal to get the goahead?

then we'll no doubt here all the 'we'r moving to england' crap we hear every other season.

In a way this new deal could end up being the shakeup the SPL needs

What worries me most about the Old Firm proposal is the level of control it would give them. I would be concerned about how much say it would give them over the money coming into the SPL. The influence they already have is bad enough - if they can widen the gap in TV money received, and then you add in the extra money they get from playing in Europe and sponsorship deals, the existing gap between them and the other clubs will just get bigger and bigger.

Considering how often they whine about not doing well in Europe because they don't get much of a challenge domestically, they don't half work hard to maintain, and increase, the imbalance that creates that situation. It is especially galling since the disproportionately large size of the clubs has been achieved in the first place by decades of shamelessly exploiting the bigotry that has blighted our nation. Then they have the cheek every now and again (especially that prize arse Lawell) to bleat about wanting to move to the English league - but only now that they have bled the rest of Scottish football dry like a couple of bloated leaches looking for a new body to suck life from and inject their infection into.

Sorry for the rant that this descended into, but this latest bully-boy move by them just reminded me how much I detest the very air breathed by those two hypocritical, self-serving, self-centred, embarrassing, destructive and unbelievably arrogant puddles of scum.

What worries me most about the Old Firm proposal is the level of control it would give them. I would be concerned about how much say it would give them over the money coming into the SPL. The influence they already have is bad enough - if they can widen the gap in TV money received, and then you add in the extra money they get from playing in Europe and sponsorship deals, the existing gap between them and the other clubs will just get bigger and bigger.

Considering how often they whine about not doing well in Europe because they don't get much of a challenge domestically, they don't half work hard to maintain, and increase, the imbalance that creates that situation. It is especially galling since the disproportionately large size of the clubs has been achieved in the first place by decades of shamelessly exploiting the bigotry that has blighted our nation. Then they have the cheek every now and again (especially that prize arse Lawell) to bleat about wanting to move to the English league - but only now that they have bled the rest of Scottish football dry like a couple of bloated leaches looking for a new body to suck life from and inject their infection into.

Sorry for the rant that this descended into, but this latest bully-boy move by them just reminded me how much I detest the very air breathed by those two hypocritical, self-serving, self-centred, embarrassing, destructive and unbelievably arrogant puddles of scum.

Absolutely spot on

YAAAAAS!! <_<:woop:<_<:nod:

What a speech!!!!

I think i'd fight wars for this boy!!

My memory is hazy from the time, but didnt the old firm set out to destroy the original 'SPL TV'?? Now when they group together and other us their own version we're just meant to agree like lemmings? Nah, f*ck right off.

What a speech!!!!

I think i'd fight wars for this boy!!

My memory is hazy from the time, but didnt the old firm set out to destroy the original 'SPL TV'?? Now when they group together and other us their own version we're just meant to agree like lemmings? Nah, f*ck right off.

I thought it was the Setanta deal that the OF didn't want as they believed (correctly as it turned out ) that the deal was a bit sketchy.

I think it was the OF and Aberdeen that voted for the SPL TV.

SPL TV

Also, using the Old firm calculator. They dont believe that 65 million over 5 years is a good deal...that'll be 13 mil a year.

But they believe the rights are worth 25 million over two years...obviously coming out at 12.5 mill a year.

Agree that five years is an excessive contract with the 'derisory' offer from sky/espn. But surely dont dangle a carrot of less money a year infront of SPL teams to get their support?

SPL TV

Also, using the Old firm calculator. They dont believe that 65 million over 5 years is a good deal...that'll be 13 mil a year.

But they believe the rights are worth 25 million over two years...obviously coming out at 12.5 mill a year.

Agree that five years is an excessive contract with the 'derisory' offer from sky/espn. But surely dont dangle a carrot of less money a year infront of SPL teams to get their support?

THe 25 mill is the amount paid to the other ten clubs outwith the old scum over two years.

THe 25 mill is the amount paid to the other ten clubs outwith the old scum over two years.

Are the Old firm not looking to buy the rights for 25 million from the SPL, which they'd still be part of and still privvy to a share. Although they would be taking a hit by buying the rights you have to be suspicious of their motives long term. Control? Better financial package for themselves? As last years 5% ticket levy showed, the old firm care about themselves, and themselves only.

And that my friends is post 100...cheers <_<

Are the Old firm not looking to buy the rights for 25 million from the SPL, which they'd still be part of and still privvy to a share. Although they would be taking a hit by buying the rights you have to be suspicious of their motives long term. Control? Better financial package for themselves? As last years 5% ticket levy showed, the old firm care about themselves, and themselves only.

And that my friends is post 100...cheers <_<

Strikes me that they are trying to buy the rights for 25M, and will then look to punt them to a TV company for a greater fee, pocketting the loot as they go? In the event they dont fill their pockets with gold doing that, they would set up an OF tv channel, and charge for that! I dont fancy being a subscriber to OF TV, as the very thought of seeing that on my bill would sicken me!

That is my take from a very quick read of what has been mentioned here, so not sure if that actually is the case?

Strikes me that they are trying to buy the rights for 25M, and will then look to punt them to a TV company for a greater fee, pocketting the loot as they go? In the event they dont fill their pockets with gold doing that, they would set up an OF tv channel, and charge for that! I dont fancy being a subscriber to OF TV, as the very thought of seeing that on my bill would sicken me!

That is my take from a very quick read of what has been mentioned here, so not sure if that actually is the case?

Thats the way i see it. The Old Firm has no interest in saving scottish football, only themselves.

Kinda got me thinking on the old SPL set-up. The transparancy from every single one of the clubs and their voting intensions on major issues is non existent

That pack is the best £1 a month you could ever spend!!!!

I totally agree although my wife who hates Baseball and Grid Iron would have a totally different opinion on this :P Thank god for Sky+ <_<

Right on my man <_<

It is blatantly obvious that the SPL should now be looking at setting up their own TV channel and if the OF don't like it they can go and play with themselves and see how much that improves their standing and achievements in Europe

Sky & ESPN are taking the p#ss with a derisory offer as there is no competition for these rights. They are perfectly happy to match the costs for the EPL rights but are treating the SPL with contempt.

Playing Devil's Advocate here but if the BBC, Scottish media and even Scots fans do the same who can blame them?

I read today that four Manchester United matches will feature on ESPN in the first couple of months of the new season. Home games I'll be there for, but I'd like to catch the away games on telly. So does anyone know how ESPN operate? Will I already have it on Sky somewhere, or will I need to subscribe to see their EPL coverage ?