Looks Definite Now He's Off !

WELLDAFT

Problem being that, we don't really want him and they do. They're using that fact to try and haggle here. What should have happened is that when Aberdeen first made their 'official' approach to Motherwell to ask permission to talk to him, the compensation issue should have been ironed out then...

Fair point Melvin - I remember watching the Wigan chairman talking about the Bruce / Martinez switch - saying quite clearly that Bruce was allowed to speak to Sunderland as they had agreed compensation and that Wigan had asked for permission to speak to martinez - and he was quite clear that he would have to compensate swansea before he got to discuss terms with Martinez.

Look at West Brom with Celtic as well - fair play.

I think we've let McGhee speak too early. however Boyle would appear to be holding firm (ooh err) for the appropriate com-pen.

just shows you what a bunch of tight arsed wankers Aberdeen are.

My worry is that McGhee will get to the point where he tells The Dons to shove it and expects to come back to a bed of roses.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem being that, we don't really want him and they do. They're using that fact to try and haggle here. What should have happened is that when Aberdeen first made their 'official' approach to Motherwell to ask permission to talk to him, the compensation issue should have been ironed out then...

I think Boyle would want to keep him. He said so at the start of the week. Ok you have a manager who does not want to be at Well but he still has to work hard to keep his profile up. Boyle's a business man, I don't think he will worry too much about sentiment. After all McGhee has played the whole thing as a business man openly using Motherwell as a stepping stone.

So it's a win, win for Boyle. Get 200k comp or keep the manager. It's Aberdeen that can loose out here.

I think Boyle would want to keep him. He said so at the start of the week. Ok you have a manager who does not want to be at Well but he still has to work hard to keep his profile up. Boyle's a business man, I don't think he will worry too much about sentiment. After all McGhee has played the whole thing as a business man openly using Motherwell as a stepping stone.

So it's a win, win for Boyle. Get 200k comp or keep the manager. It's Aberdeen that can loose out here.

Nae harm, big man, but I reckon that's a naive point of view. You're right in that there's no sentiment in business but football is like no other business (we'd have seen a few clubs shut their doors otherwise). Boyle has to be aware that although he might welcome him back, McGhee's relationship with a large proportion of the fans has either broken down or soured beyond repair over this. Probably still a minority of fans who wouldn't welcome McGhee as manager now, but a larger number than even a couple of days ago. As Ricky stated, his position is untenable...

Another good side article in The Scotsman comparing yesterdays dealings of Aberdeen and Real Madrid (the team the sheep beat in the CWC Final in Gothenburg)

Real offering 80M for Ronaldo after gettin kaka for 60M

The Dons sweating their balls off to hold onto the the 25K gap there is now in their negotiations for McGhee.

What's the general chat amongst the Dons fans up there Shotts Well Fan? i've notice a few of their fans having a go at Milne and Miller in the comments under these articles.

Another good side article in The Scotsman comparing yesterdays dealings of Aberdeen and Real Madrid (the team the sheep beat in the CWC Final in Gothenburg)

Real offering 80M for Ronaldo after gettin kaka for 60M

The Dons sweating their balls off to hold onto the the 25K gap there is now in their negotiations for McGhee.

What's the general chat amongst the Dons fans up there Shotts Well Fan? i've notice a few of their fans having a go at Milne and Miller in the comments under these articles.

They are mainly frustrated that Wiggy is not paying up but still think it will definately happen, becaue they are a "bigger club". The guys in my office are not 100% sure he is the right man for the job and he will have the same problems as Calderwood (nae money). Also, they are betting he will be touting for the Scotland job if Burley gets punted later in the year.

I don't think McGhee will commit himself to Aberdeen until Celtic get their man. I think that he is still living in hope.

Nah, I think that's out of the way now Ernie. McGhee has put himself forward for the job at Aberdeen and travelled up there yesterday. The delay is just down to com-pen between us and the sheep noo I think

The Daily Express today reports that McGhee and Leitch have agreed to reduce their wage demands from Aberdeen to the same basic they are on at Fir Park. This is to allow Aberdeen to match the £200K compo.

Other things to note, it also reports that we are looking for £200K for McGhee and a further £50K for Leitch but Boyle may settle at the £200K for both.

McGhee has already looked into resigning and getting the move that way but has been advised against it.

My thinking on this is that McGhee's hands may be just as tightly tied behind his back at Aberdeen as they are at Fir Park. Especially if he is having to drop his wages to allow the compo to be met. It means that there can't be a lot of money about at Aberdeen if they can't match our asking price and knowing McGhee's history with us he'll look at bringing in a couple of players are above the normal wage level of the club. It's then he may find out that the promises made by Milne and Miller are just hollow promises.

I think on this move McGhee is letting his heart rule his head and he is making the wrong move. Having said that I no longer would welcome him back into the fold at Motherwell if the deal was to collapse.

It may be a different kettle of fish if he's the one that realises that he is letting sentimentality get in the way of his career but I'd always be wondering when the next opportunity to get out was going to come along.

I hope things get sorted out today Mark and I thank you for what you have achieved at Fir Park over the last 2 years.

All the best for the future and hopefully we'll be able to show you how good a football team you could've had playing on the new pitch under our new gaffer. Especially when we gub you every game.

The wit and wisdom of that old funny dude Duncan Shearer in the Sheep Express

Aberdeen FC are right to hold out for best price

Says former Aberdeen FC hitman Duncan Shearer

By Ross McTavish

Published: 12/06/2009

FORMER Aberdeen FC striker Duncan Shearer insists his old club are right to haggle to get the best deal for Mark McGhee.

Aberdeen FC's search for a new manager dragged into today as compensation talks with Motherwell wore on.

As both sides held out in a battle of wills, McGhee was left in limbo.

But Shearer claims the Aberdeen FC should be fighting to get their man for the ideal price.

He said: "Aberdeen FC have done ever so well in the last couple of years to reduce their debt.

"They don't want to give silly money away."

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for what you did do, but you've left nothing but a bitter taste in the mouth of a lot of Motherwell fans and that will probably be remembered more than your achievements here.

Good riddance but thanks for Nancy!!!!!

What he said!

When McGhee was appointed I said if we got two years out of him I'd be happy. The first six months of his reign were incredible but after Phil's death, the pitch issues and his dalliance with other jobs things started to fall apart. The Nancy trip will never be forgotten and is the shining light of last season (and many others). Too many costly errors of team selection in the latter half of season 08/09 - which I believe prevented a top 6 finish and a decent cup run.

Thanks - time will tell the mess he's left us in player-wise, but I think we are still in a better position than when he joined us.

Stuart.

I'm glad it's all sorted, and he is finally away.

Over the last year I have been really dissapointed with the way McGhee has conducted himself. I can appreciate that McGhee wants to progress his career, but I feel the constant comments in the media about bigger and better things have been demeaning to the club and the fans themselves. I wish I had a list of the articles where so I could list a few of the things he said. I am a true believer that if you a really any good at your profession, good luck and progression will come your way no matter what. There was no need for McGhee to constantly comment on other clubs. I wish he could have kept his head down, focused solely on us and if a move came along it would have been nice to let him go with our best wishes knowing he had put us in a better position for the future.

I would still like to thank him for the first season in charge though. I was away in the States for the first few games and had heard all the chat about how well we had been playing. One of my first games back was the Hibs away game, that night will live long in the memory. He is clearly a good manager, who gets the best out of his players. His positive mentality when analysing games pre and post match is also something I really enjoyed.

It's just sad that he has been constantly trying to worm his way out over the last season. Motherwell FC means so much to many of us, and the way McGhee has behaved has left me with nothing but distaste for the guy.

I hope the East Stand tears him to shreads next season, I really do!