It's Official And Now The Hunt Begins!

rab_mackinnon

If he'd kept his mouth shut instead of constantly talking himself up for other jobs, I doubt anybody would have been too upset. Even today, he is on record saying that he'd rather have the Celtic job.

As someone else mentioned, there are 2 ways to leave. The McFadden/Porter way and the Pearson/McGhee way.

EDIT: In fact Porter is the example McGhee should have followed. Chris mentioned he was coming to the club to move his career forward, and then kept his head down and did a great job. When the opportunity to move came along, he said all the right things, respected the fans and the board, and left with everybody's thanks.

That was the classy way to do business.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT: In fact Porter is the example McGhee should have followed. Chris mentioned he was coming to the club to move his career forward, and then kept his head down and did a great job. When the opportunity to move came along, he said all the right things, respected the fans and the board, and left with everybody's thanks.

Exactamundo. It is not that most Well fans do not rate what he did for the club in the two years at the helm. Nor in fact is the reality that if he was a success he would inevitably move on.

I just think he lacks a little class. Whilst he was good for us - the truth is that it was Boyle and Motherwell that gave him a chance when no-one else would. Do we get a small thanks for that - no we get a reminder that he left us because the club we love is going to struggle to reach the dizzy heights he took us to in Year 1 and he HAD to get away.

To me that shows little class and even less respect.

Well speaking as a Brighton fan, that's clearly not the case. He had the opportunity to go to the club (that finished 3rd this season) for more money last season but turned them down. The time would have been right for him then, but he put Motherwell first - and the thanks he gets is your post and dozens like it. I can accept fans being bitter about a difficult transition period ahead without the certainty of a high performing manager at the helm, but to blacken the name of an excellent club servant is plain wrong.

Hmmm, not quite that clear cut. He was virtually on the plane to Vilnius before deciding against it. Not exactly putting us first, if he'd done that it would have been instant dismissal of their approach. Think it had something to do with a rather large increase in his wage packet, not putting Motherwell first.

A cunning bargaining ploy from JB. "But look, we wanted him as manager - that bumps up the compensation you need to pay".

I obviously don't see what he is capable of day to day, but I'm glad he didn't accept. It's too early to appoint an assistant after the Malpas debacle.

Diplomacy from JB and quite right too. I have no idea what he thought about MMcG but he's an ambassador for MFC and if he'd been minded to slag off ex employees in public that would not do much for the club. It would certainly not help to attract a new manager.

Whats the deal with all this "Excellent Club Servant " pish, fair enough first season was brilliant but we were an unknown quantity for a time, playing a different way from previous seasons we got to flirt with europe very briefly. Season two mid table obscurity some really shite performances( St Midden several times, The ammies again several times Killy away , Falkirk away to name but a few) ,strange team selections (St Midden in the cup), no doubt borne out of not being around on a daily basis.

Don't get me wrong we enjoyed some good times too but "Excellent Club Servant " yer havin a laugh.

Where did you hear this mate?

Its in the days Sun mate Leitch is stayin on until we find a successor for McGhee. And also former number 2 at Swindon David Byrne has been mentioned as contender to be said successor. Does anyone know who he is? cause i aint heard of him.

Just realised that David Byrne has been mentioned in another thread. Does not fill me with amy great confidence. With him in charge relegation beckons!!!! :lol:

I think the great club servant bit comes from the way which he dealt with the tragic loss of Phil O'donnell. I much admired him about the way he went about his buisness at that time. He hasn't done anything which you couldn't see coming. The hearts approach identified that he wanted european football. That coupled with his past record and the noises he was making of a bigger club. Wasn't too hard to see what was going to happen.

Question is now what is happening with the team. I see some posts stated that Leitch was still with us until a new man takes over. I question if this is a good idea. The players will know he won't be around will they be trying there hardest to impress for the season ahead. This is a vital season for us we have a small squad as it is with the possability of losing 3 /4 of our best (I can see MM coming in for clarky). It is vital then that we get a good pre season down especially with the youngsters who we will have to call on this season as the new manager will have no budget to spend and no time to get players in with the early start.

What then is happening? Are we still going to the frozen streams of Austria? When will this take place? It seems to be address somewhat in the article from the offishel site but would be good to know.

"Meanwhile, at Fir Park, the task begins today to find a new manager. This will be done on a timely basis and we will quickly address what arrangements can be put in place to look after the team during the early European campaign.”

Small squad europe as a distraction (taking it we get into the later rounds) The next manager will have a tough time.

As for MM thanks for what you did, but if no one trusts you due to your media savy comments you only have yourself to blame.

It concerns me more of whats in it for Leitch to stay just now when everyone knows he is going to assist at one of our rivals - we need someone looking after things who is going to be here or at worst not going to Aberdeen the moment someone walks in the door.

If he'd kept his mouth shut instead of constantly talking himself up for other jobs, I doubt anybody would have been too upset. Even today, he is on record saying that he'd rather have the Celtic job.

As someone else mentioned, there are 2 ways to leave. The McFadden/Porter way and the Pearson/McGhee way.

I think that's a rather droll rewrite of history. In fact, in his first official press conference for the club, Porter mentioned his ambition to play for the Old Firm. People who think like you (ie. who are overly critical of good club servants with a professional outlook) lambasted him for those comments as being disrespectful to his new employers, Motherwell. I don't know if the thread still exists after the Flow changeover, but hunt it out if you don't remember it. These critics were quietened by Porter's performances on the pitch.

So in fact, Porter and McGhee are very similar. Porter never made any secret of his ambition to leave here as soon as a good opportunity arise and did so well before McGhee. To hold himn up as a paragon of loyalty/professionalism to Well and lambast McGhee as lacking those qualities is pretty absurd.

If we're talking about operating in a classy way, that applies to fans too. Good club servants who achieve things for Motherwell don't deserve to have their character and good name dragged down.

And also former number 2 at Swindon David Byrne has been mentioned as contender to be said successor. Does anyone know who he is? cause i aint heard of him.

Just realised that David Byrne has been mentioned in another thread. Does not fill me with amy great confidence. With him in charge relegation beckons!!!! :O

That is a surprise. I saw a game of his when he was in caretaker charge of Swindon, bit of a drubbing. Dare I say he was one of the ones that Malpas beat to get the Swindon job.

It concerns me more of whats in it for Leitch to stay just now when everyone knows he is going to assist at one of our rivals - we need someone looking after things who is going to be here or at worst not going to Aberdeen the moment someone walks in the door.

Totally, get him to fuck! What is he going to do anyway? And as you say if there is any transfer or contract talk going around the club he is our RIVAL now!!

Send him up the road, There must be a coach still around or failing that A. Burrows can look after team matters just now surely?

I think that's a rather droll rewrite of history. In fact, in his first official press conference for the club, Porter mentioned his ambition to play for the Old Firm. People who think like you (ie. who are overly critical of good club servants with a professional outlook) lambasted him for those comments as being disrespectful to his new employers, Motherwell. I don't know if the thread still exists after the Flow changeover, but hunt it out if you don't remember it. These critics were quietened by Porter's performances on the pitch.
If that thread does exist, I guarantee you won't find any such comment from me. What you will see in other threads are some comments accusing me of being 'Happy Clappy' when I have supported some of McGhee's managerial decisions and been appreciative of what he did for the club.

Where he fell down was touting himself for a new job within a few months of joining. He didn't learn from that and continued to express what should have been private thoughts to the media. I doubt many people care what ambitions he harbours, but it shows a lack of respect to his employers to keep airing them in public.

He has a reputation for walking out on clubs. It is mostly undeserved, but it's easy to see how he has acquired it, by continuously talking about moving on to better things while under contract to a current employer. He has already done it again with Aberdeen by telling them he really wanted to Celtic job. You need to have a psychological problem or an ego the size of Fir Park to do that, as it's not the behaviour of a rational person.

That might be acceptable to you, but to me that lacks class. That doesn't mean I think he did a poor job for us. It means I think he did a poor job in managing his exit. If you want to call that droll revisionism, then feel free.

Is it true that one of the papers is running a story this morning that Craigan will be interim manager for the moment...?

The daily record says that he is favourite but it looks like they've put that in to fill up some space, really.

Daily Record

Motherwell chairman John Boyle eyes a caretaker as he casts net wide for new manager

Jun 13 2009 By Chris Roberts

MOTHERWELL last night vowed to install a new manager as early as next week - but he won't be the man to lead them into the new season.

Chairman John Boyle has cast his net far and wide to bring in a replacement for Mark McGhee, who yesterday left the club to take charge at Aberdeen.

Boyle is refusing to rush or discount anybody just as he did when he pulled a rabbit out of the hat to land McGhee in the summer of 2007.

But the club need to appoint a new boss rapidly to put the players through their paces when they return to training in just over a week ahead of their Europa League qualifier on July 2.

Captain Stephen Craigan is favourite to take charge of the team but that will only be a short term fix until the board come up with a new full-time boss.

A source close to the club said: "The last time, we took a conscious decision to start with a clean sheet of paper when we ended up with Mark.

"We will again be casting the net widely to do that. There are no names on the shortlist right now.

We will probably end up appointing a new manager on an interim arrangement to take pre-season training.

"Getting a new manager will take longer to complete."

Chairman John Boyle praised McGhee and Scott Leitch for the job they did at Fir Park. He said: "We are extremely sorry to see both Mark and Scott leave for Aberdeen, however it is unrealistic for us to stand in the way of their career ambitions.

"Both were great servants and brought us considerable success. They will be missed by everyone at club and we wish them well in their new roles.

"The task begins to find a new manager. We will quickly address what arrangements can be put in place to look after the team during the early European campaign."

Where he fell down was touting himself for a new job within a few months of joining. He didn't learn from that and continued to express what should have been private thoughts to the media. I doubt many people care what ambitions he harbours, but it shows a lack of respect to his employers to keep airing them in public.

He has a reputation for walking out on clubs. It is mostly undeserved

The why bring it up? You are right, it's entirely undeserved and relates back to a period very early in his managerial career that he learned from. It's an example of the low quality of argument that his critics use that it keeps getting recycled. I'd be happy to go through it club by club post-Leicester but it would be dull stuff.

As I said earlier, I don't think the parallel you made with Porter holds much water but I'd be interested to hear others on here try and defend that case.

Almost as unfair alas is this "touting" stuff. This is something I've seen labelled at a lot of managers in my time following football besides McGhee, always the ones who excell in short spaces of times and become the subject of media speculation and interest.

It is not McGhee's fault that he bacame a target of such media speculation so early in his time at Motherwell, that was an inevitable consequence of his outperformance in the job. He always answered such specualtion with honesty and dignity. What outrageous private thoughts did he express? I never saw them - it was just malign critics reading the worst into what were usually very anodyne comments made to deflect away media attention.

There is a very immature streak of arrogance in a lot of football fans that expects people like McGhee to behave like a football fan, rather than a football professional, ie. to express some kind of lifeling passion and devotion to an employer. McGhee never did that and was right not to do so - he would have been a justified target of fan anger if he ever promised to be here for years and did not live up to that promise. Instead, he was honest about his career ambitions and that he did not see Well fulfilling them at career-end. Good for him, all I want is honesty in a manager, not some kind of fake, cheap, lowest-common denominator-pleasing expressions of loyalty.

I think McGhee benefited from Well but Well benefited a hell of lot from McGhee. I think the job now is seen throughout British football as a more attractive proposition for ambitious managers given the soild top 6 efforts of the past two years, we have McGhee to thank for that. If we get quality applicants applying, it will be partly due to the higher profile he has given the club and its talented players in his time here.

I think McGhee benefited from Well but Well benefited a hell of lot from McGhee. I think the job now is seen throughout British football as a more attractive proposition for ambitious managers given the soild top 6 efforts of the past two years, we have McGhee to thank for that. If we get quality applicants applying, it will be partly due to the higher profile he has given the club and its talented players in his time here.

This years top 6 effort was certainly soild due to the fact that McGhee mad a total arse of the St Mirren game and we missed out. :lol: