Davie Clarkson's Mum

biggayal0

The fact official piece says we had to sell due to current economic factors speaks volumes. I don't see ANY of this being reinvested in the team.

Straight doon we go then.

I don't see any other provincial team punting their best players asap though do you? What are we doing behind the scenes that means we have to sell every player we have but the others don't? Surely every team must be feeling the pinch?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aberdeen: Severin

Hibs: Fletcher (headed for Burnley it seems), and probably Jones

Falkirk: Holden, Higdon and most likely Cregg

St. Mirren: Haining

And that's just off the top of my head. I guarantee there is more than that, and will be a lot more to come. Accies will almost certainly lose one of McArthur and McCarthy, for example.

And here's a thought. How about saving yir greetin' until after you see the squad we have to start our SPL campaign?

Just thought i'd say thanks to you for the player :rolleyes:

Hopefully we get to see the player you all seem to love down at the gate, rather than some of the more dissapointing scots we've had (lee miller & dave partridge(not scot but from this league!))

Its a transfer thats gotten us excited down here. especially with the reactions you have been giving on here so... fingers crossed eh? :)

and thanks for the reply weeyin.... :lol: we've got plenty like you on our forums... nothing to show for their mouth ;)

good luck in rebuilding your team etc...

peace out from down south

<3

and thanks for the reply weeyin.... :notworthy: we've got plenty like you on our forums... nothing to show for their mouth ;)
Reply to what, my friend? I know the football in your neck of the woods very well. I lived in Gloucestershire for many years and followed the fortunes of the 2 Bristol teams as well as Swindon. I still follow much of the Championship now.

Just because you don't like the fact that I classed your beloved team as an average Championship side, doesn't mean I'm wrong. Let's see how the league plays out shall we? I know Clarky should score more than your top scorer from last season (11 goals in all). Part of that is due to the dodgy defences. Again, you can dispute that, but a quick look at the stats backs me up. You also just need to look at how teams like WBA fare once they are promoted to see where their weaknesses lie.

And as someone who also closely follows the fortunes of the Tractor Boys, I repeat that any team who can lose 6 to that bunch last season has major problems.

Aberdeen: Severin

Hibs: Fletcher (headed for Burnley it seems), and probably Jones

Falkirk: Holden, Higdon and most likely Cregg

St. Mirren: Haining

And that's just off the top of my head. I guarantee there is more than that, and will be a lot more to come. Accies will almost certainly lose one of McArthur and McCarthy, for example.

And here's a thought. How about saving yir greetin' until after you see the squad we have to start our SPL campaign?

That's hardly the fire sale we're experiencing, coupled with the loss of players due to the end of contracts is it? Aberdeen losing Severin? One player?! St Mirren losing Haining? Is that a big deal? They've still got Dorman, resigned Dargo, and now signed Higdon and the goalie Gallagher from Dumfremline!! Falkirk have lost 3 players? Fuck me. I wish we had their problems..... You failed to mention Killie, a team with allegedly well known financial troubles. No mention of them flogging Kyle, Fernandez or Taouil at the moment...

I'll get ma greetin' in now if it's all the same. The only thing that can save us from catastophe is if the money made from the sale of Clarky and impending sale of Quinn (and possibly Reynolds) is if some of it is reinvested in the squad. This being Motherwell, I/we are bracing ourselves for being told this will not happen.

I won't run through all the well known transfers/ventures we have made profit from in recent times again, but we haven't paid a penny (bar Hammell) for a player in god knows when and have been outbid for 2 players by a St Johnstone team who have spent the last 7 years in the 1st Division! I think questions need to be asked as to why we find ourselves in our current predicament players-wise and how we can possibly be expected to compete if the situation doesn't change asap.

I think questions need to be asked as to why we find ourselves in our current predicament players-wise and how we can possibly be expected to compete if the situation doesn't change asap.

I would suggest you read the PWC report on the state of the SPL and pay particular attention the section which has our salary bill at 73% of turnover and take this into consideration with the loss of Setanta.

Grim financial reading. Once again we have chased a dream and paid over the odds for manager and players wages - Boyle is acting now to ensure we don't go the same way we did in 2002.

Stuart.

Milo is speaking a LOT of sense there. If any teams in the SPL should be selling off players it should be Killie, Hearts, and Accies, probably in that order. St. Mirren and Celtic are in great positions and Rangers although in worrying debt (for their fans only right enough) have the CL cash to plaster those cracks. Outside of those three I considered ourselves to be one of the most financially secure in the SPL. I am starting to question that.

Edit: Stuart you say our wages are 73% of our turnover. Can you remember how that was against similar teams like Accies, Falkirk, Killie etc?

Reply to many posts in this thread asking for some reasoning behind your thoughts... you still haven't given any.

you LIVED down here, past tense. and just because you were here doesn't neccessarily mean you know anything about english football.

I find you calling defences down here poor quite laughable, Englands second tier is a much better standard than the Scottish Premier. sorry to break that to you, But your player is moving UP in the ladder by coming to England. thats why the only half decent scots are either at the old firm picking up their pay packets or playing in England bettering themselves as footballers.

and gloucester folk aren't exactly well renouned for their footballing knowledge... something in the water or in the gas pipes i heard :S

You don't know that our new player should score more than Nicky Maynard did last season, In fact if he gets ten in this league then he will be a good signing.

Your grasp of English football is seriously deluded. 20+ goalscorers are as rare as scottish world cup appearances ;) and the standard of defenses in the championship can't be written off because of west broms record in the Premiership, thats ludicrous considering they were always viewed as defensively weak in our division...

Stick to scottish football mate, cos its frankly embarrasing listening to another forum "no it all"

seems a lot of the more in the know 'well fans agree you're a bit of a nubcake...

good luck 'well :D use our cash wisely :notworthy:

The fact official piece says we had to sell due to current economic factors speaks volumes. I don't see ANY of this being reinvested in the team.

JB explained that by saying they didn't want to have another McCormack or McDonald situation, if he had stayed and gone at the end of next season we would have got nothing. I think that's good business sense. Gutted to see him go but can't see where that translates into none of the money will be put back in.

Wellgirl, where does it say it WILL be reinvested? If I were chairman of a club and we just rather abruptly sold off arguably our best and most popular player, I DEFINATLEY would state my full intention for the cash gained IF it was to be reinvested. You know to inform fans, keep them hopeful, not dent season ticket sales etc.

That's hardly the fire sale we're experiencing, coupled with the loss of players due to the end of contracts is it? Aberdeen losing Severin? One player?! St Mirren losing Haining? Is that a big deal? They've still got Dorman, resigned Dargo, and now signed Higdon and the goalie Gallagher from Dumfremline!! Falkirk have lost 3 players? Fuck me. I wish we had their problems..... You failed to mention Killie, a team with allegedly well known financial troubles. No mention of them flogging Kyle, Fernandez or Taouil at the moment...
The key phrase being "at the moment....."

Firstly, try reading what I said. That list was just off the top of my head.

Secondly, most players contract expire on 1st July, so there will be a lot more activity after that.

Thirdly, I don't think for one second that even you believe none of our rivals will be selling over the summer.

Fourthly, I don't think for one second that even you believe the new manager will be bringing in zero new players.

Would it not be better seeing what we have in place at the start of the campaign? The ink's not dry on Gannon's contract, the start of the season is about 7 weeks away, and the new gaffer apparently has a list of players he's interested in for every single position in the team.

Let's give the man a chance to sort things out.

Wellgirl, where does it say it WILL be reinvested? If I were chairman of a club and we just rather abruptly sold off arguably our best and most popular player, I DEFINATLEY would state my full intention for the cash gained IF it was to be reinvested. You know to inform fans, keep them hopeful, not dent season ticket sales etc.

It doesn't but it doesn't say that it won't. The financial considerations were quite clearly stated by JB, lose him for a fee now or lose him at the end of the season for nothing. The new manager has been in post a day, I'm sure he wants to strengthen the team, I would think it highly unlikely that he has taken the job on to be told he has no transfer kitty given how short we are on players at the moment. There wasn't this mass panic when Porter left or McFadden left, yes it's a blow and it's been a hard couple of weeks, we lose the manager and his assistant, the players out of contract, however I think we might have been ten times more gutted if Clarky had signed a pre contract in January and we had been left with not a penny.