Jim Gannon

decorator

There are many rumours doing the rounds that JG is not well liked by some of the current squad - probably those who are not getting a game?

It appears as if he takes no bullsh#t and reputations count for nothing. That there is some disharmony is hardly surprising given the reputation he came up the road with. Having fallen out with and frozen out players down at Stockport.

Is this not exactly what the Stockport fans who posted on a here a while ago said would happen? Seems to be his way - falls out with some players and back room staff but gets results.

Regardless of any problems they seem to think he is an absolute legend and are gutted he left. I live in hope...

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but alienating players he may have to rely on to do a job is risky business, we don't have a big squad and can't afford the luxury of losing a good player from the team, or bringing someone in when we get injuries. it's a balancing act for JG, but that's what he's paid for.

It's risky for the players - some of them have been in a cushy number for a wee while. Getting on the transfer merry-go-round for some of them coul be risky right enough as the first division might be beckoning.

Indeed. This is the concern with JG's abrasive nature. It's not like he's Alex Ferguson telling Stam or Beckham to get knotted knowing fine well he has the wherewithall, if not within his squad then within the bank, to replace them. I find it hard to believe that we'll go through a season without needing pretty much every individual in the squad at some point. The only thing I would say is that the experienced guys we're perhaps talking about (Lasley, Hammell, McGarry) all know that if they're brought in from the cold and seen not to be giving 100%, the East Stand will turn on them. The problem for Gannon is if he has to rely on these guys and they give 100% but don't adhere to his gameplan, what does he do...?

Do you ever stop trying to play devil's advocate Melvin? :lol:

In reply to the original post, why should he take any blullshit? Why should he take 'Reputation' and 'The Past' into account..........that is history, not the future. Jim Gannon is an exceptional manager and who cares if he aint liked? How many of us like our bosses? It par for the course in normal life, so wht should it be any different in the world of football.

I have every faith in JG to do the job he is paid for, if Mr Lasley or Mr Hammell don't like then that is just tough titties! No one is irreplaceable! Every time we have lost a 'big name' player, we have done just fine and dandy.....if not better!

IN JG I TRUST!

Do you ever stop trying to play devil's advocate Melvin? :lol:

In reply to the original post, why should he take any blullshit? Why should he take 'Reputation' and 'The Past' into account..........that is history, not the future. Jim Gannon is an exceptional manager and who cares if he aint liked? How many of us like our bosses? It par for the course in normal life, so wht should it be any different in the world of football.

I have every faith in JG to do the job he is paid for, if Mr Lasley or Mr Hammell don't like then that is just tough titties! No one is irreplaceable! Every time we have lost a 'big name' player, we have done just fine and dandy.....if not better!

And where did I say that he should take any bullshit? I agree his word should be law but in football, it's slightly harder being a boss. Managers often don't get themselves the sack, players get them the sack. All I'm saying is that he may have to rely on players who may (only rumour) not like him particularly. It makes his job more difficult than it needs to be...

What was his relationship was like with the Stockport fans?

The reason I ask is because I wonder if his abrasive nature and no bullshit attitude will ever come to a head with 'well fans when you consider the fickle and less than forgiving nature of some of our support. Would he ever speak out?

I liked Gannon's declaration today, he said "Everton lost with 0-5 at Steaua 2-3 years ago". He was pretty right, but Everton lost 1-5 with Dinamo Bucharest.

Here is the match:

Here was the team of Everton at that hour, pretty the same team, it could have been 8-1 without problems for Dinamo but they stopped:

Everton: Martyn 4 - Hibbert 4, Yobo 6, Weir 4, Valente 4 - Cahill 5, P. Neville 4, Davies 4 (71, Kilbane 4), Osman 5, McFadden 4 (76, Ferguson) - Bent

And where did I say that he should take any bullshit? I agree his word should be law but in football, it's slightly harder being a boss. Managers often don't get themselves the sack, players get them the sack. All I'm saying is that he may have to rely on players who may (only rumour) not like him particularly. It makes his job more difficult than it needs to be...

is it really wise for gannon to antagonise proven spl players with long associations with the club? the guys he's brought in aren't exactly world beaters and except humphrey aren't signed on with the club for very long. i would guess that mclean went to falkirk largely due to the way he was treated from august 07 to february 08, we would be in a much better posistion if he was still in the squad. it's okay to act all principled and say no player's bigger than the club but beggars can't be choosers and players aren't exactly queueing up to join us, capable guys we have here should be man managed to the benefit of the club (neither mollycodelled or sacrificed on the managers ego).

were still in dire straits in terms of our squad. we're at least 3 players short of the minimum we need for the spl campaign and we've got almost no one out of our senior players contracted beyond next summer. sutton, craigan, reynolds, humphrey and fraser are the only ones as far as i know. gannon has a lot of work to do.

i would guess that mclean went to falkirk largely due to the way he was treated from august 07 to february 08,

That would be McGhees doing then?

I agree with the rest though. Our squad is still dangerously weak in my opinion. The sale of Clarkson with no replacement brought in will come back to haunt us I fear.

How is he antagonising them? By making them actually work for their places? Like someone said earlier, this reflects more on those player's attitudes than on Gannon. They aren't being noised up just for the sake of it, I am sure.

i've no idea what's going on i'm only reading the rumours the same as everyone else.

what i have seen is however is lasley being dropped after playing well in two games for a guy who was/is nowhere near fit. hammell who has over 250 appearances for the club being dropped to fit in a young player who had made one appearance and who's introduction to the team split up craigan and reynold's succesful centreback partnership. neither decision could have been a purely based on form and i don't believe it's attitude either as they've both had ten years or so at the club without any problems. maybe gannon is part of kmckalpin's club and only likes tall football players or maybe he's just determined to play his own guys and make it his team at the expense of everything else.

from what we've heard about freezing out players, fueding with the fans and refusing to talk to sky because of a dispute about his sky box i think we can conclude he has a bit of an ego about him. if this all goes tits up gannon will be off and we would probably be left in a worse posistion than we were in june.

again i'll say reserve judgement til the window shuts and we've played a few spl standard teams but imo right now we're still in a perilous posistion and too many people seem to have gotten a rose tinted view of things from a couple of wins against dire sides and a glamour tie against steaua.

ofcourse it's mcghee's fault but it should be a lesson learned. mcghee spent six months talking brian mclean down in public and freezing him out at fir park then we act suprised when he won't sign a new deal with the club. hammell and lasley are good spl players and are commited to motherwell however if they feel mistreated now maybe they'll do a mclean and hold it against us and try something new in the future when we need them.

ofcourse it's mcghee's fault but it should be a lesson learned. mcghee spent six months talking brian mclean down in public and freezing him out at fir park then we act suprised when he won't sign a new deal with the club. hammell and lasley are good spl players and are commited to motherwell however if they feel mistreated now maybe they'll do a mclean and hold it against us and try something new in the future when we need them.

The only people who acted surprised were a few folk on here. As for being mistreated, we stood by this fellow a couple times when he was injured.

For far too long the team has picked itself, how many times have we seen posts complaining that MMG had no tactical nouse and no imagination when it came to players ?

It strikes me that Gannon sees this very much as a squad game and adopts a horses for courses approach to games, way too soon to be judging or analyse this approach the SPL season will obviously be the acid test.

In any job the boss has ultimate say on who does what, and if you don't like it tough, deal with it or look for another job.

The only people who acted surprised were a few folk on here. As for being mistreated, we stood by this fellow a couple times when he was injured.

we obviously did but at the end of the day it's up to mclean who he signs for and i don't think being publicly disrespected during mcghee's first six months would have encouraged him to re-sign for us. we've been unable to replace brian mclean since he left but maybe if things had been different we wouldn't have to.

In any job the boss has ultimate say on who does what, and if you don't like it tough, deal with it or look for another job.

that's fair enough in a lot of lines of work but in football it's a seller's market if your a half decent player. look at the dross ICT, killie and st mirren have been putting on the park for the last couple of years, attracting good players isn't easy (as accies are finding out) and we could easily find ourselves pulled down to their level.

Its like Dad's fuckin army on here sometimes...... We're doomed we're all doomed. Management in any line of work is not a popularity contest it is about getting results whether it be on a football field or in business. If you don't like it watch that the door doesn't slap you on the arse. Same for management Gannon makes the decisions if it goes wrong .........................watch the door doesn't slap you on the arse.

I agree with the rest though. Our squad is still dangerously weak in my opinion. The sale of Clarkson with no replacement brought in will come back to haunt us I fear.

How do you know there won't be a replacement ? IMO we already have it with Jamie Murphy. I think with regular football he will get his confidence up and score goals, just like David Clarkson did himself.

How do you know there won't be a replacement ? IMO we already have it with Jamie Murphy. I think with regular football he will get his confidence up and score goals, just like David Clarkson did himself.

I agree with this comment.I think Jamie Murphy will become a great goalscorer like Clarky and hopefully Sutton can stay fit all season and they can become a lethal partnership

hammell who has over 250 appearances for the club being dropped to fit in a young player who had made one appearance and who's introduction to the team split up craigan and reynold's succesful centreback partnership.

Successful partnership? We've had probably one of the worst defensive records for the past couple of seasons. IMO that 'partnership' needed a good shake up.