Jim Gannon

decorator

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charlie, just wondering your opinion if Gannon would raid Stockport for a player or two? are all your guys available for free/knockdown? have heard you got a few very decent players in ur squad

We had a lot of very decent players in our squad, but the recent money troubles has seen the best ones go for a quarter of their value.

I know he's a very big fan of a lad who came through our youth system called Josh Thompson, who's an 18-year-old centre half. And he's f###ing superb. Although he's been on trial with Man Utd this summer so I think if/when he leaves it'll be to a big club. He's also a huge fan of a striker called Oli Johnson, but apparently we turned down a £250k bid from Peterborough so I can't see him moving either, unless he gets a lot of the Clarkson money to spend.

If he does, then I can also see potential bids for Johnny Mullins (attacking right back, been captain at every club he's been at) and Owain Fon Williams (Welsh international 'keeper). If he only gets a bit to spend, then it'd be younger lads like James Vincent and Matty Mainwaring (both central midfielders with about 20 games behind them, very promising).

I half hope he does come & raid us, though. He's the only person I'd trust not to try and rip us off.

wouldnt mind seeing Owain Fon Williams,Dominic Blizzard + Oli Johnson following Gannon from Stockport, think all 3 would be available for free or minimal and with their tiny budget surely we could afford a decent wage package too.

League of Ireland could be a good place if scouted properly, guys like Stephen Hunt,Kevin Doyle + Keith Fahey have come from there recently and made good impacts at decent clubs

was going to say Josh Thompson but think he`s destined for the premiership, and Matty Mainwaring has recently signed a new contract hasnt he? tho he was your ypoty this year wasnt he?

I half hope he does come & raid us, though. He's the only person I'd trust not to try and rip us off.

If we were to try and take players, i suspect Gannon would select the targets and then leave our chairman to negotiate the deals, so you could still get ripped off.

Probably. But hopefully he'd insist on a sell-on clause

(I forgot to mention sell-on clauses earlier, when listing things that have screwed us... we've sold a lot of good players the past couple of years, but got sell-on clauses for all of them... but with our recent problems we sold those clauses back to those clubs to get some quick money. Now there's the likes of Ashley Williams being linked with a £4m move but we no longer have a 25% sell-on clause... 'cos we sold it for £40k. Sickening!)

but with our recent problems we sold those clauses back to those clubs to get some quick money. Now there's the likes of Ashley Williams being linked with a £4m move but we no longer have a 25% sell-on clause... 'cos we sold it for £40k. Sickening!)

That must hurt like hell, as we know how beneficial those sell-on clauses are, after we picked up nearly 700k from the McFadden deal 18months ago. It's a great bonus when you receive it.

But, must be a horrific time to be supporting your club at the moment, if you are THAT desperate for cash. We can certainly relate after our terrible time in the early-00s.

That's when I started having a soft spot for 'Well in the early 00s, I had a girlfriend from Lanark (I even tried to convince her that we should take in a game at Fir Park, no luck though). At least you owned your ground, though.

There's another lad called Anthony Pilkington who left for Huddersfield in a firesale. He reminds me very much of McFadden in those days. Sold for £350k, now Everton are around to be after him for 4-5 times that, and of course there's no sell-on. It's heart-breaking stuff.

It could be that Gannon has stated in his interview he is ok with selling Reynolds,Clarkson + Quinn as he knows he can replace like for like with his former guys at stockport,

sell Clarkson - £800k, sign Oli Johnson for £250k, £550k in bank

sell Quinn - £300, sign Johnny Mullins for £100k, £200k in bank

sell Reynolds - £1m, sign Josh Thompson for £200k, £800k in bank

3 key players gone, but same/better replacements signed + up to £1.5m in bank. A Possibility?

It could be that Gannon has stated in his interview he is ok with selling Reynolds,Clarkson + Quinn as he knows he can replace like for like with his former guys at stockport,

sell Clarkson - £800k, sign Oli Johnson for £250k, £550k in bank

sell Quinn - £300, sign Johnny Mullins for £100k, £200k in bank

sell Reynolds - £1m, sign Josh Thompson for £200k, £800k in bank

3 key players gone, but same/better replacements signed + up to £1.5m in bank. A Possibility?

don't think there is any chance of us paying those sorts of sums any more.

don't think there is any chance of us paying those sorts of sums any more.

Well we did similar with Hammell, can't see why we couldn't do the same (but obviously the Setanta situation is a factor).

As we sold JP for £250k and replaced him with Hammell for what £120k? Resulting in a like for like swap and a bit of profit as well.

No, Feeno left about 10 months before Jim came back.

Thanks for the kind words everyone btw, my gut feeling is we'll be okay short-term. The current rumour is that Fabrizio Ravanelli(!) is lined up to be the new manager by the consortium, and he wouldn't come in unless he'd get given money to spend. It's the sort of thing that'll end in tears though, everyone round here would prefer names like Keith Hill or Alan Knill, similar managers to Jim.

that was my point as well, obviously we cant afford to pay £200-£300k outright for players but Im just saying its a possibility that Gannon has said in his interviews if we need money, sell Clarky,Quinn + Reynolds for as much as possible, bring in guys he knows from Stockport who are as good or better prospects and we lose 3 key players,sign 3 key players plus make £1m+ profit. He could then use any money we make from Europa League qualifying plus the freed up wages from Malcolm,Hughes,Smith,McLean,Klimpl,Krysiak,Sheridan to supplement the squad with a bargain or 3 and its happy days