Jim Gannon

decorator

I think most folk would agree with your thoughts on the friendly game, but we have no other options available for Thursday and the concern is justified in my view.

If we do go out to Llanelli it'll be solely down to taking over a fortnight to appoint a gaffer and letting two top players leave when we had a very threadbare squad as it was.

Thats miles oot Mr Elder

A fortnight to appoint a new Gaffer might well have been too quick and possibly a bit rushed in the circumstances, would you rather JB had made a quick appointment in Sandy Clark, John Robertson, Alex Smith etc

If we go out to Llanelli, it'll be down to , players contracts expiring, McGhee breaking his contract, Leitch breaking his contract, Setanta TV going bust forcing massive cutbacks in Scottish Football (if we sell!) , the ridiculous early start to the Europa qualifiers causing an only 4 wk rest break

Oh and the Lanarkshire micro climate :( amongst many other things

two weeks to get the correct manager is extremely quick and cannot be crticised, and players leaving if it happens to keep the club alive in dire financial times I would reckon you will agree would be the correct decision instead of Gambling it all against beating Llanelli AFC

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

two weeks to get the correct manager is extremely quick and cannot be crticised, and players leaving if it happens to keep the club alive in dire financial times I would reckon you will agree would be the correct decision instead of Gambling it all against beating Llanelli AFC
Spot on.

2 weeks to appoint someone who was out of a job therefore no lengthy negotiations with other clubs,plus we knew for a fact MMG was leaving up to 2 weeks before it happened, things could have been concluded faster in my opinion.

Im with you on your point that as long as we have a decent squad in place for the league starting il be happy, BUT this is Motherwell, when was the last time you ever seen us conclude major transfer business quickly? and with the fact that anything less than 5-7 players (depending on Quinn+Reynolds position) will see us certainties for relegation, the new boss needs to work hard+fast, still at least we seem to have a decent manager now so lets see what he brings to the table

Don't disagree that the Europa Cup is a wee bonus, but surely to god we should be expecting to beat Llanelli??? After the result of the friendly today I have grave concerns.

Could we not have kept Clarkson and Quinn at least one or two more weeks. We are seriously short of first team calibre players and it may yet come back to haunt us!!

I am looking forward to the trip down to Wales and would have been happy for a 3 or 4-0 scoreline from the first leg. By the way that scoreline is FOR Motherwell :P But it looks like it will be a lot tighter than anyone originally expected.

Only good thing about the scoreline today is that they will be under no illusions that this game will be easy over two legs :(

Don't disagree that the Europa Cup is a wee bonus, but surely to god we should be expecting to beat Llanelli??? After the result of the friendly today I have grave concerns.
For me, the league is much more important this year than getting papped oot of the Europa in the 3rd qualifying round.

For me, the league is much more important this year than getting papped oot of the Europa in the 3rd qualifying round.

So in these times of no tv deal + having to sell the family silver to survive, your not bothered about a competition that could see us make £400k - £700k for what is effectively 6 pre season friendlies,getting to the 3rd qualifying round could see us get a big team n sum tv time!

yes the league is our bread + butter but a large wedge of cash is definately not to be sniffed at

2 weeks to appoint someone who was out of a job therefore no lengthy negotiations with other clubs,plus we knew for a fact MMG was leaving up to 2 weeks before it happened, things could have been concluded faster in my opinion.

Im with you on your point that as long as we have a decent squad in place for the league starting il be happy, BUT this is Motherwell, when was the last time you ever seen us conclude major transfer business quickly? and with the fact that anything less than 5-7 players (depending on Quinn+Reynolds position) will see us certainties for relegation, the new boss needs to work hard+fast, still at least we seem to have a decent manager now so lets see what he brings to the table

First of all we were always gonna appoint someone who was out of a job we haven't done otherwise for years and years.

What would you rather he done just appointed someone straight away without holding interviews a la Malpish. Perhaps he never knew who Jim Gannon was and only became aware of him when Gannon applied. So he researches the man and finds out he done a good job, thus interviews him and likes what he hears. Is that not how finding a manager works?

Calm doon man !!! It was a kickaboot in the park. Thats what they games are for to get your mistakes oot the system. Am sure Crags and the rest of the coachin staff will have them in at training ironing those mistakes oot. Honestly sum fans need to get a grip and see these games for what they are meant to be about.

CALM DOON AND HAVE SUM FAITH!!!!! He who has no faith should support the old firm scum!!!

Calm doon? Riiiiiiiight! If you read my post again you'll notice I said 'panic' is going too far. I do stand by the point that any Well fan SHOULD be a bit concerned going into the match on Thursday, not for getting put out a cup but more losing out on earnings.

And FFS give this 'He who has no faith should support the old firm scum!!!' pish a bye. Why does ANYONE who declares any concern over the team's current condition get a lecture on 'the rollercoaster' or 'away to the OF'. Aye.....a know how it works!! B-)

Calm noo..................

Landing Gannon is a magnificent coup for Boyle, potentially as big as getting McGhee. Absolutely fantastic work, once again I think we can looking upwards to top 6 rather than worrying about the scrap at the bottom. I think the transition will be seamless, McGhee and Gannon are both very similar in their approach to the kind of football they want played by their teams.

There is a real fire-sale going on at Stockport at the moment, wonder if Jim will pick anything up (although many of the good ones have already been taken).

i think gannon is the man for the job, i liked what he had to say about bringing players in and he emphasised that he will give youth a chance. seemed a good guy.

Were you talking to him today? Serious question. Just the way your post reads.....to me anyway!

So in these times of no tv deal + having to sell the family silver to survive, your not bothered about a competition that could see us make £400k - £700k for what is effectively 6 pre season friendlies,getting to the 3rd qualifying round could see us get a big team n sum tv time!

yes the league is our bread + butter but a large wedge of cash is definately not to be sniffed at

Not if we get relegated, no. Short term-ism is a big danger to all clubs at the moment. We need to get a squad in place and push for a top 6 place. That will be much more beneficial in the long run.

Calm doon? Riiiiiiiight! If you read my post again you'll notic I said 'panic' is going too far. I do stand by the point that any Well fan SHOULD be a bit concerned going into the match on Thursday, not for getting put out a cup but more losing out on earnings.

And FFS give this 'He who has no faith should support the old firm scum!!!' pish a bye. Why does ANYONE who declares any concern over the team's current condition get a lecture on 'the rollercoaster' or 'away to the OF'. Aye.....a know how it works!! B-)

Calm noo..................

Alot of people seem to think because we lost a kickaboot in the park the day it's squeaky bum time. I don't buy into it. I actually think it is a good thing because the players will have a bit of a fear going in to the game , which means they wont be complacent which is much more dangerous in my eyes. I guarantee you that we will win on Thursday night and i predict a 2-0 win at least and that will be enough because we will score down there beleive me. That is not being disrespectful to Llanelli i just beleive that even without Quinn, Reynolds and Clarky we are a better all round team and today will serve as a wake up call and will be POSITIVE to our chances.

First of all we were always gonna appoint someone who was out of a job we haven't done otherwise for years and years.

What would you rather he done just appointed someone straight away without holding interviews a la Malpish. Perhaps he never knew who Jim Gannon was and only became aware of him when Gannon applied. So he researches the man and finds out he done a good job, thus interviews him and likes what he hears. Is that not how finding a manager works?

yes, or you could factor in all the info - our seasons ended, we start in europe in 5 weeks,pre season in 4 wk,MMG is leaving, 5 first team players away,Setanta on dodgy ground and tv deal could go,we would have to sell our best players we have left..... and do some forward planning, quiet word with an agent here + there,internet search (there are several professional databases for players + managers) etc and have a 1 or 2 possibilities, Gannons name has been mentioned for a week or 2 and apparently he was very impressive in his 3 interviews, were 3 interviews really needed? could we have done 2 + announced him yesterday/thursday?

Im not unhappy wi Gannon,just think in my opinion it could have been a little quicker

I wouldn't read too much into today's game but one things for certain we need at least five players for the start of the season im quite happy shipping people out for cash as we were pants last season and a clearout was required. I wish Clarky and Quinn all the best. £75000 bid for Reynolds anyone? B-) .I think that Jim Gannon will do well for us and bring in players that will improve us.

yes, or you could factor in all the info - our seasons ended, we start in europe in 5 weeks,pre season in 4 wk,MMG is leaving, 5 first team players away,Setanta on dodgy ground and tv deal could go,we would have to sell our best players we have left..... and do some forward planning, quiet word with an agent here + there,internet search (there are several professional databases for players + managers) etc and have a 1 or 2 possibilities, Gannons name has been mentioned for a week or 2 and apparently he was very impressive in his 3 interviews, were 3 interviews really needed? could we have done 2 + announced him yesterday/thursday?

Im not unhappy wi Gannon,just think in my opinion it could have been a little quicker

But if the shortlist was what we were led to beleive then it was quite a tough choice to make. Everyone of the guys should have got there chance to prove they were the right man for the job. If it was me I would have been stuck between 3 of them.

Alot of people seem to think because we lost a kickaboot in the park the day it's squeaky bum time. I don't buy into it. I actually think it is a good thing because the players will have a bit of a fear going in to the game , which means they wont be complacent which is much more dangerous in my eyes. I guarantee you that we will win on Thursday night and i predict a 2-0 win at least and that will be enough because we will score down there beleive me. That is not being disrespectful to Llanelli i just beleive that even without Quinn, Reynolds and Clarky we are a better all round team and today will serve as a wake up call and will be POSITIVE to our chances.

Hope your right bud! B-)

3 interviews are absolutely needed. And I hope the other 2 or 3 names on the shortlist were afforded the same courtesy. This is like hiring a CEO for your company and you need to be 100% sure you are getting the right man. Otherwise you are stuck with a duffer who has a contract too expensive to pay off if you sack him.

At my company it typically takes 4 weeks - 3 months to fill a position. 2 weeks would be regarded as incredibly fast.

.I think that Jim Gannon will do well for us and bring in players that will improve us.

Over time, guaranteed. Just don't go expecting instantaneous success; you might see a couple of years of odd selections, formations not working as well as they should. You'll almost certainly get one or two people upset, probably players. I can't guarantee you'll do brilliantly after a few months, but I can after three years.

Over time, guaranteed. Just don't go expecting instantaneous success; you might see a couple of years of odd selections, formations not working as well as they should. You'll almost certainly get one or two people upset, probably players. I can't guarantee you'll do brilliantly after a few months, but I can after three years.

Shit!!!! Oor fans don't gee managers time. Absolute no chance !!!!!! He better win one of his first 3 at least or he will lose alot of our fans (me excluded).

Could we not have kept Clarkson and Quinn at least one or two more weeks. We are seriously short of first team calibre players and it may yet come back to haunt us!!

I am looking forward to the trip down to Wales and would have been happy for a 3 or 4-0 scoreline from the first leg. By the way that scoreline is FOR Motherwell :P But it looks like it will be a lot tighter than anyone originally expected.

Only good thing about the scoreline today is that they will be under no illusions that this game will be easy over two legs B-)

i will be fuckin gutted if we dont get to albania and one more round :(