Jim Gannon

decorator

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In truth my feelings about the appointment was really along the lines of "anyone but Nijholt", I still can't fathom why so many people wanted him.

Well, it seems you will probably never see him as M'well manager now.

Surely, he won't be happy after being overlooked twice in a row.

Not always a good thing for a legend/hero to return, as it doesn't always work out, and their status forever ruined.

Paatelainen being a prime example of this, very similar to Nijholt, both foreign players that took the respective club to their heart, both heroes amongst their fans, both were fans favourite to take over as managers. Mixu failed miserably and Hibs fans couldn't wait to get rid of him. Never wanted it to be balls'ed up with Nijholt and his affinity with us could have become frayed if it had gone tits up.

Would read nothing into today's result, certain Gannon will have them pumped up for the game during the week. The opponents have played twice at least already I'm sure with an uninterrupted pre-season thus far. Gannon is a terrific appointment, delighted with that.

This is brilliant news, and I mean brilliant. In the 'who would we get' thread I praised Gannon highly, following his spell at Stockport, not far from me at all. This guy is very highly rated ; young, hungry, loved by his players. He worked miracles at a penniless Stockport, and if he can reproduce anything like that at Fir Park, he will get the best from his squad. He has a reputation for producing attractive football. This would be a coup and should give you guys some exciting times. :)

This seems to be another great appointment by Boyle. As he said at the start of the process, we have taken our time and made sure that we have the best man for the job. The shortlist of four, if correct, was surprisingly strong and I would have taken any of them - barring your man Staunton.

Looking at the Stockport County message boards, Gannon is highly respected and described as their best manager ever. Has a track record in making good signings, playing good passing football and bringing on the youth. In fact, a lot of their fans are viewing his appointment at Fir Park as the end for their club. You think we've got problems.

While it's a difficult task for him, I think we might just have found a real gem.

Delighted!

A good appointment in my book, if its confirmed. Jim Gannon ticks all the right boxes. He has a track record, likes playing attractive football & bringing youngsters through and knows English football well. He'll have plenty of contacts down there.

Sounds like a guy that isn't afraid to speak out. Just as well we have got the pitch sorted btw. :D

During Stockport County's record-breaking run of nine consecutive victories without conceding a goal, Gannon hit out at Bristol Rovers and the match referee when a fixture was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. Gannon lodged a complaint with the FA with regard to Rovers, as he felt not enough was done to ready the pitch, and also a complaint with regard to the referee's handling of the situation. Gannon was later incensed with the FA when the same referee was allowed to take charge of the postponed fixture. Rovers won the delayed match 2–1.

Priding himself on playing flowing football in the lower leagues of the English game, Gannon has repeatedly spoken out against clubs he feels play too physically, and referees he feels do not give his players enough protection. Gannon was left threatening police action over a strong challenge that left Stockport striker Matty McNeil unconscious and in hospital.

Think Boyle has done well to get him to Fir Park, and believe Gannon is more than capable of doing a good job for us - just a shame Jimbo is English though :D .

I agree, from what I have learned about him he seems to be a good fit for us. If JB pulls it off, he should be commended for another shrewd move.

But really, who cares if he is English / (or Irish for that matter)! Is he a good manager, will he help the Well, that is what counts. I assume you were "joking" but this outdated parochial attitude does Scotland no favours !

Charlie, I take it from some of the stuff that I have found out about the way Gannon conducts himself via media etc. he was loved by your fans......but was one of the most disliked managers in the league from opposing fans? He could come across as a bit of a constant moan I feel. Not that it bothers me but If I supported another SPL team maybe a different story.

i feel like am missing something here, think the appointment is really disappointing. many better candidates

We have to remember that they were only candidates because none of them had a job so it must have been a stand out interview that swung it in jim gannons favour

Charlie, I take it from some of the stuff that I have found out about the way Gannon conducts himself via media etc. he was loved by your fans......but was one of the most disliked managers in the league from opposing fans? He could come across as a bit of a constant moan I feel. Not that it bothers me but If I supported another SPL team maybe a different story.
During his whole time at EP, there was only one time when he made a comment he shouldn't have, and that was describing Bristol Rovers as nothing special (or something) and criticising their club after a controversially postponed game at their place (they had a huge cup game against Bristol City the following Tuesday and didn't exactly put a lot of effort into sorting their pitch out for our game).

That's it, though, and he was commendably quiet the week of our playoff games against Wycombe, when their attempt at mindgames failed & turned out very cringeworthy. But as I say above, he'd often criticise officials after games and I'm sure that will have appeared to others as clutching at straws after defeats (no-one noticed when he'd criticise them after victories). He's also very big on football being played the right way, and as such very critical of physical sides - you should also expect to hear him talk of referees "not protecting the players" pretty often. We were a very fair side - by far the best disciplinary record of the top 4 divisions last season, not one red card in the league.

He's a man who will very much speak his mind & I've no doubt he will get people's backs up in Scotland. If it's anything like the last 18 months down here, though, it'll be along the lines of "I think he's a knob (wish we played football like that though)"

If it's anything like the last 18 months down here, though, it'll be along the lines of "I think he's a knob (wish we played football like that though)"

To be fair, that is the summation of most football fans in Scotland of McGhee's reign at Motherwell. So, looks as though it is a direct replacement..

Cheers charlie. Enjoying your input. Makes a change as as apart from ceske bairn and faraway saint (who I actually think offer good chat) MOST 'outsiders' who come on here are just asking about our players as their team is just about to snaffle them for a ridiculously low price. Can get a bit grating ;)

That's it, though, and he was commendably quiet the week of our playoff games against Wycombe, when their attempt at mindgames failed & turned out very cringeworthy. But as I say above, he'd often criticise officials after games and I'm sure that will have appeared to others as clutching at straws after defeats (no-one noticed when he'd criticise them after victories). He's also very big on football being played the right way, and as such very critical of physical sides - you should also expect to hear him talk of referees "not protecting the players" pretty often. We were a very fair side - by far the best disciplinary record of the top 4 divisions last season, not one red card in the league.

European footy for a third year?

I want to know why we chose an ex-league 2 manager over 2 ex-prmier league managers and 2 ex-international managers. Pretty stupid decision if u ask me

Not really... Out of them all I think Gannon has everything we need. Plays good football, doesn't take any shit. Not to mention we have had fans from Stockport praise him, we have had fans from Fulham saying no matter what don't get Sanchez! Staunton's club record is zero while his International record see his side have five smashed past them by Cyprus.

To me and it seems many on here he ticks all the right boxes with regards to what is needed to manage Motherwell Football Club.

We need a manager who has a track record of working on a shoestring. An ex Premeirship manager may view a shoestring as being only ably to spend a maximum of £5m on a player - not our definition.

Look at Walter Smith - give him a bigger budget than his rivals and he'll win you trophies. Make it a level financial playing field and he struggles.

I'd love to see top managers like Ferguson, Mourinho and Wenger take charge of smaller clubs with real shoestring budgets and see if they'd swim or sink.

Premiership management is a world away from managing in the SPL or indeed almost anywhere else on the planet. Its not a good yardstick to use.

We need a manager who has a track record of working on a shoestring. An ex Premeirship manager may view a shoestring as being only ably to spend a maximum of £5m on a player - not our definition.

Look at Walter Smith - give him a bigger budget than his rivals and he'll win you trophies. Make it a level financial playing field and he struggles.

I'd love to see top managers like Ferguson, Mourinho and Wenger take charge of smaller clubs with real shoestring budgets and see if they'd swim or sink.

Premiership management is a world away from managing in the SPL or indeed almost anywhere else on the planet. Its not a good yardstick to use.

Agreed. Time will tell if Gannon lives up to the 'hype' but I believe the right choice has been made.

I agree, from what I have learned about him he seems to be a good fit for us. If JB pulls it off, he should be commended for another shrewd move.

But really, who cares if he is English / (or Irish for that matter)! Is he a good manager, will he help the Well, that is what counts. I assume you were "joking" but this outdated parochial attitude does Scotland no favours !

On most boards a 'smilie' indicates that someone is being tongue in cheek.

I spoke to a couple of the lads at Brighton who used to play under Gannon at Stockport, and they mentioed that he has taken some stick in the past for being a proud Irishman who was born in London.

Perhaps parochialism is not just confined to Scotland afterall??