Motherwell Vs Llanelli

nethertonwellfan

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think going out of the EL next week may be a blessing in disguise. It would give Gannon a chance to rebuild the team and work on formations without the pressures of competitive football. That said we should not be losing to a team that is so poor they made Airdrie look good. I am sure Gannon has now upped his view of how many players he needs and on last night's performance it is much more than 6.

Wasn't at the game last night so can't comment too much but I must admit I did fear the worst after all that has been going on. Hopefully with another weeks training under our belts we can have a right good go at them in Wales.

One thing I do like is the comments that Jim Gannon has said on the official site. He talked about the players looking very poor in the Rhyll bounce game and that although he needs to supplement the squad there are also players that need to be replaced. Quite refreshing in his outlook and one that will surely keep all the players on their toes.

Offishel

Absolutely appalling! No fight, no composure and no leadership.

I've seen some poor well sides over the years but that mob last night are easily the worst (Malpish era included). There is no argument.

As some folks have already posted, there are certain guys who should never appear in a Well shirt again such as McGarry and Sutton. Unfortunately, necessity dictates that they will play again next week and that fills me with dread.

JG must be wondering what he's gotten himself into. On the plus side, that shower of shit last night will show him that there is no-one in the first team who cannot be easily replaced and give an idea of the massive re-building job that is required.

We are now officially the laughing stock of Scottish football.

P.s. whoever gave Sutton a 3 year contract should be sectioned under the mental health act. My gran has more mobility and awareness and she's been dead 5 years.

I don't think there's any doubt that they'll line up with 11 men behind the ball and time waste like they did last night. The best thing we can do is come flying out the traps and put them under pressure from the kick off, not give them time to settle. If we can do that and grab an early goal then the tie is wide open again.

As for last night, I'm still trying to convince myself it was all a bad dream. Too many players still on holiday but good to see the young lads getting a shout. Slane in particular made a huge impact when he came on and I thought Murphy played much better after half time when he was moved into the middle. Am I the only person on here who thought McGarry wasn't that bad? The boy is by no way a creative midfielder but I thought he was alright with the ball at his feet, just didn't do much with it (which wasn't always his fault).

There just wasn't enough movement last night (coupled with unfitness) and you could see that the team wasn't used to playing together as nobody seemed to have a clue where each other were. Hopefully with another week's training under their belt and a bit more of an idea what they're all meant to do we can give it a much better shot in the second leg.

At last some semblance of realism brought to the usual round of McGarry 'baiting' yet again - bet he wishes that Fitzy had been playing last night - at least he would have taken some of the heat of. Didn't think that McGarry was the worst on the park - Sutton carries that award off by some considerable distance imo. At least most of the time McGarry showed for the ball, attempted to be creative and was anxious to become involved - Sutton (?) well he just looked anxious that he might have to get involved.

Can't seem to share the optimism of others that we are capable of turning this around - though will be happy to be proved wrong. Still looking forward to the trip mind :P

Last night has no positives whatsoever because it is simply the worst result in our history and maybe the history of Scottish football. Motherwell have to take a really good look at themselves, if they can't even get a draw against Llanelli at "home" then we WILL go down unless urgent and extensive surgery is carried out at the Club

To be fair, Gannon, along with all of us, is acutely aware that urgent and extensive surgery is required.

In all honesty I don't know that I really expected anything from last night. 8 of last year's first team squad, virtually all of them first picks, no longer with us and no options to sign players once the draw for this round was made, and no new manager in place until three days before the game.

Right now, I'm looking on these Europa League matches for what they are - an unexpected bonus and if we do not progress too far I'm not going to get too worried. The main concern is that Gannon rebuilds and has us in good shape for the new SPL campaign - that means much more to us than a run in Europe, which if we are realistic is never going to go anywhere.

Having said that, despite the threadbare nature of our squad last night, there were enough experienced players in the starting line-up to ensure that we should have won the game. Unfortunately they did not take anything like enough responsibility.

Stuart.

Feckin brilliant made my day :P:lol::lol::lol::P:lol::lol::lol:

Simmer down, we ACTUALLY did play well (in my opinion). I'm not joking or fishing, I just think we did well...

Fraser - I didn't see the goal, but he looked very comfortable with the ball at his feet. Was able to take dodgy backpasses and knock the ball about. I don't think he hit a single long ball all night, which was encouraging to see.

Saunders - I thought he started off really well. He got the ball out wide, tried to hit the byeline a few times and put in a couple of crosses which caused the away side some problems. Granted he wasn't that involved in the second half, and he had a couple of dodgy touches towards the end. Defensively I don't remember him putting a foot wrong the whole game.

Craigan - again, I didn't see the goal, but it sounds like it was his man who scored the goal, which is a bit disappointing. Other than that, I thought his distribution was alot better than it usually is, and he won a lot of headers against their big number 9.

Reynolds - Similar to Saunders, I don't think he made a defensive mistake for pretty much the whole game. He ran with the ball when he could, he made a couple of good passes, and again won a fair few headers against their big lone striker.

Hammell - I thought Hammell was solid tonight, no more, no less. He got forward when he could, and defended well, however I don't recall him whipping in any good crosses or making any threatening runs or the like.

O'Brien - This is an interesting one. People are saying that he was fucking brilliant last night (personally I didn't think he was that good), and some people are saying he is fucking dire (personally I didn't think he was that bad). I thought he looked dangerous when he got on the ball. What is interesting to see though is that for all the stepovers and tricks and flicks, he doesn't actually get PAST his man; he just knocks it to the side and tries to get in a cross. I'd like to see him actually go for it and take the ball round his man more often.

Lasley - Not his best game in C&A. I think he's a great wee player though, so I'm not gonna judge the guy too harshly tonight.

Forbes - I thought he was fucking immense tonight. I don't think he lost the ball all night. The only thing with his game was that he didn't try and make too many killer passes, and his free kick was poor, but other than that, I think he's a fucking cracking wee player.

Murphy - Thought he was quite bad tonight. He was getting shoved off the ball very easily (granted, by a fat bastard), and he was getting caught up in posession quite often. Some horrible bastard behind me shouted "You're just a poor man's Kevin McBride!" to him at one stage. Way below the belt, no need for that! :P

Slane - liked to run at men and beat them, and not afraid to have a dig. Defo one for the future, a great prospect.

McGarry - a power of effort last night, and far from shite as some people have said. I thought he did well and, with a decent pre-season under his belt, I think he'll be a good player for us this season.

Sutton - He got his head to a fair share of crosses into the box, but other than that, I think he lacked movement. When our full backs had the ball, McGarry and Murphy were making runs into the channel to clear the space for him to come and pick up the ball to feet. He didn't come looking for it to feet last night, and when you're playing with only one striker, that's what we needed him to be doing.

All in all a good night's work I feel. A shame about the scoreline, but I genuinely do think we'll still get through.

Mon the 'Well!

I agree with the thought that we played quite well, but on the basis that the best three players came from the youth squad. I hope John Sutton is embarrassed by the fact that a bunch of teenagers can play and show more energy, movement, skill and awareness than he has since he came to the club.

I am not too worried about the season ahead. I think we will struggle for the best part but I am always of the view that I would much rather watch the young boys play their heart out and get beaten by a better team than a bunch of journeymen just there to pick up a wage. Hopefully as Jim Gannon said last night, these boys can be coached and will improve.

The worst part about last night however was Michael Fraser's outfit - absolutely howling . I hope we never see that again.

They always say a week is a long time in football. Here's hoping.

Some might see that as controversial GazzyB, but quite a fair assessment of the individual performances with one or two exceptions, though collectively as a team we were anything but good - and I think this is where others will have a 'pop'.

Agree about McGarry, Saunders, though I'm not quite as convinced as others (he gave the impression of a 'one-trick-pony' - beat the man outside and attempt the cross - good if you have the pace and or ball skill to do either or both. Unfortunately he showed neither last night, as soon as the Llanelli full back realised he was unable to cut inside him, he showed him to the outside and had him on toast for the rest of the game.

Its all about opinions though.

Gazzy B I could argue about your view of individual performances but my concern is that our team performance against a very poor side was abysmal. We should not be getting beat by them, not in a bounce game, not in a friendly and certainly not in a Europa League game. Yes one or two played OK but that iit s not enough for an SPL team however depleted. For me the only positive is that Gannon will realise the job he has in front of him.

Gazzy B is spot on.

Yes we lost to a team that we should never have in a month of Sundays. We were lacking creativity in midfield and cutting edge up front. Hardly a surprise considering we had virtually a reserve team out playing.

We dominated possession and territory and whatever anyone else says Llanelli rode their luck. They offered next to nothing in terms of threat and we were quite literally hit by the sucker punch that tends to happen following Motherwell. These things happen.

I have seen us win games v the old firm when they were all over us and we rode our luck. And in my mind the gap is almost the same as Motherwell and Llanelli in terms of support and resources.

It is only half time and I am bullish that we will come through the tie, but I suspect the same tactics from Llanelli and it will be more difficult as they are at home. But we will take a decent support and hopefully be more vocal than last nite.

The other thing that strikes me is, did we see anything different last night from what we saw for most of last season? We were up against a team who had 9 men and the Welsh pie eating champion behind the ball and as usual we played some good football, some strong posession but nothing decisive in the last third. That was the story of the majority of last year. I don't think we would have been any better with Quinn, Hughes and Clarkson in the team.

Jim Gannon (MP -??) now knows what he needs to do. Whether he can make a difference in a week or not I don't know but by the start of the SPL season we should be in a better position.

Gazzy B is spot on.

Yes we lost to a team that we should never have in a month of Sundays. We were lacking creativity in midfield and cutting edge up front. So what is positive about that as you support Gazzy B?

Hardly a surprise considering we had virtually a reserve team out playing. We had 8 players starting the game who were in 1st team Squad starting last night plus Fraser a regular SPL player

We dominated possession and territory and whatever anyone else says Llanelli rode their luck. They offered next to nothing in terms of threat and we were quite literally hit by the sucker punch that tends to happen following Motherwell. These things happen. We had 1 or 2 chances at best. Unacceptable

It is only half time and I am bullish that we will come through the tie, but I suspect the same tactics from Llanelli and it will be more difficult as they are at home. But we will take a decent support and hopefully be more vocal than last nite. Lets hope so""""

Sorry cannae get the split quote thing to work.

It is only half time and I am bullish that we will come through the tie, but I suspect the same tactics from Llanelli and it will be more difficult as they are at home. But we will take a decent support and hopefully be more vocal than last nite.

The away match, we'll have equal support to them down there and it's at a neutral ground.