Shooting From The Hip

one_luc_nijholt

If some players do take the huff and don't perform, the fans will turn on them and not on JG. He's like a breath of fresh air though - open and honest.

I would like to hope that was the case but unfortunately it does not seem to work out that way. Supporters tend to make excuses for players (unless it's Marc Fitzpatrick) blaming the board or the manager for a teams dip in form.

I would guess that if the form of Craigan, O Brien etc drops because they do take the huff most supporters will turn on Gannon saying he can't motivate the players etc. I hope I am wrong but I have seen it to often before to be confident (Barry Feruson, Kris Boyd v Paul Le Guen) being the perfect example.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would guess that if the form of Craigan, O Brien etc drops because they do take the huff most supporters will turn on Gannon saying he can't motivate the players etc.

OBriens never had any form for it to drop ,would imagine his days in the first team are numbered. :huh:

How you can say O'Brien's never had any form is beyond me. Fair enough before Christmas he didn't look anything like a footballer, but since then he's created so many goals for us and been one of few outlets.

waere jim gannons comments regarding craigan wise, in my view he has been one of our better and most consistent players over the last few seasons. surely it would be better to keep him on side, yes he was at fault but surely a private word was what was required

Just merging the two topics.

As you point out Craigan has been a standout for us since at least December, and it is not just Clarky that helped us get that run of games that seen us go from bottom to a bawhair away from top six this year but Craigan as well. Saying that Gannon knows what he is doing, and I'm sure Craigan will talk with him and admit he could have done better himself.

waere jim gannons comments regarding craigan wise

Yes.

Doesn't matter who you are, or if you are 32 or 18 - if you fuck up you have to be held accountable for your actions. It is the only way for players to become more consistant in their approach. Got to be concentrating and giving your all for 100% of the time, not 90% - that holds true for any job of work, not just football.

Something about Gannon's comments from Monday's press conference came back to me today, something about "not dismissing the talent in Scotland, but there's lots of players in England who could do a great job...". Surely by saying that, he was effectively dismissing the players available in Scotland? And therefore offending a proportion of our players. I'm curious if he's wholly unimpressed by Scottish teams he's seen, or just our squad? It certainly sounds like any player we sign will be sourced from elsewhere (mainly England). Just wondering if he's underestimating the differences between the English game and the Scottish game? He could end up with egg on his face if he brings in a whole load of players from England who don't adapt. Particularly if they're seen as automatic picks ahead of the Scottish guys.

It could be construed that Gannon doesn't think much of the standard of football in this country...

Of course the manager was correct with his comments, and was only saying what everyone was thinking. No one could disagree with them.

I only wonder why he concentrated on poor defending rather than the gut-turning worry of a team that can't score even if the match had lasted as long as the Wimbledon final.

Who is going to score in the return leg?

Something about Gannon's comments from Monday's press conference came back to me today, something about "not dismissing the talent in Scotland, but there's lots of players in England who could do a great job...". Surely by saying that, he was effectively dismissing the players available in Scotland? And therefore offending a proportion of our players. I'm curious if he's wholly unimpressed by Scottish teams he's seen, or just our squad? It certainly sounds like any player we sign will be sourced from elsewhere (mainly England). Just wondering if he's underestimating the differences between the English game and the Scottish game? He could end up with egg on his face if he brings in a whole load of players from England who don't adapt. Particularly if they're seen as automatic picks ahead of the Scottish guys.

It could be construed that Gannon doesn't think much of the standard of football in this country...

I'd need to go back and listen to that interview again to be sure, but what I took from it was that he knows a lot more about the scene in England that Scotland and, based on numbers alone, there is a bigger pool of talent to draw on down south.

I really don't understand the amount of stick O'Brien gets on this board.

I dont understand the praise he gets! No end product, compare his impact on the game and Paul slanes impact, slane was miles better and opened up the game much more than obrien. and he is in the paper every week talking about how much he would love to go back to celtic.

I'm not going to attempt to second guess whether he was inferring that the standard of player he has poorer than he anticipated or whether he's simply acknowledging that he knows the English market better.

Well in fact actually I am to a degree as he also commented he has been surprised at the level of some of the younger players in the squad, he would surely have done his homework on us and indeed Hibs if both teams approached him, plus according to some of the Stockport lads he was reckoned to have this considerable list of players for each position. One might assume that to produce such a list he's bound to have cast an eye north of the border at least once in a while.

But that's not really my point.

Melvin I can see your thinking exactly with the highlighted section and Jimmy Nicholl's spell at Millwall came to my mind where he did something of the reverse of what's being speculated that Gannon will do. He had a similarly sound reputation in Scotland, went south, brought a team of Scots down including Stevie Crawford and Paul Hartley and bombed completely.

I think there is a genuine concern that with the likes of Clarkson and Quinn in particular gone that the very heart and soul of the team is in danger of being destablised. Some already mentioned that the driving force of the two of them wouldn't have allowed Thursday to peter out as weedily as it did. The worry is that if those remaining for example the Craigan's, Hammell's and Lasley's of the squad go too, or that the Scottish/Motherwell influence on the side is so heavily diluted that if things don't go well you are left with a group of players without the same feeling for the club, yet to have an affinity with the supporters, who might not be prepared to go that extra mile.

I think there's no doubt that this is going to be a really big challenge for Gannon to rebuild the squad and its not something I see falling into place overnight. I think that we might need to prepare ourselves for a very difficult season ahead.

I dont understand the praise he gets! No end product, compare his impact on the game and Paul slanes impact, slane was miles better and opened up the game much more than obrien. and he is in the paper every week talking about how much he would love to go back to celtic.

If you compare their impact they were both the same... no goals for Motherwell. And is he, can you find me an article for every week of the last 10 months? :lol:

I think there is a genuine concern that with the likes of Clarkson and Quinn in particular gone that the very heart and soul of the team is in danger of being destablised. Some already mentioned that the driving force of the two of them wouldn't have allowed Thursday to peter out as weedily as it did. The worry is that if those remaining for example the Craigan's, Hammell's and Lasley's of the squad go too, or that the Scottish/Motherwell influence on the side is so heavily diluted that if things don't go well you are left with a group of players without the same feeling for the club, yet to have an affinity with the supporters, who might not be prepared to go that extra mile.

I think that sums up some of my concerns perfectly. I'm not wishing to be like a Celtic supporter wanting "Celtic-minded" people only. But as you say, a couple of guys like Clarkson and Quinn who have been with the club since they were kids, can go that extra mile. Not always a guarantee of commitment being brought up at the club, but that combined with the right mentality can sometimes help get an extra 10% out of the others in the team...

I don't get this about the standard of English football shite. If we are signing players then it'll be from lower League 1 and League 2 and the standard is dross. Ability is very much at a premium, with athleticism, pace and power favoured ahead of proper footballing ability. Result: teams that hump the ball for 90 mins and have very few players who can get the ball down and play. Last season, Peterborough, Leicester, Leeds and MK Dons were really the only teams who wanted to play on the deck, but they pay more in wages than a lot of Championship teams so can attract the best players in the league.

I don't get this about the standard of English football shite. If we are signing players then it'll be from lower League 1 and League 2 and the standard is dross. Ability is very much at a premium, with athleticism, pace and power favoured ahead of proper footballing ability. Result: teams that hump the ball for 90 mins and have very few players who can get the ball down and play. Last season, Peterborough, Leicester, Leeds and MK Dons were really the only teams who wanted to play on the deck, but they pay more in wages than a lot of Championship teams so can attract the best players in the league.

... and Stockport County. Who certainly played better than Leeds & MK, and I'd argue better than the other two as well... with one of the smallest budgets in the league.

I wonder if any Stockport fans would comment on Gannon's man management. Having spoken to couple of friends down south, the perception I got was that although he plays good football and is astute tactically, his man management leaves a little to be desired. The number of players he falls ouut with, the fact that if a player falls out of favour he's out of favour until he leaves the club. What have Stockport fans heard about the opinions of players who played under Gannon...?

I wonder if any Stockport fans would comment on Gannon's man management. Having spoken to couple of friends down south, the perception I got was that although he plays good football and is astute tactically, his man management leaves a little to be desired. The number of players he falls ouut with, the fact that if a player falls out of favour he's out of favour until he leaves the club. What have Stockport fans heard about the opinions of players who played under Gannon...?

In League One Gannon was known for knowing what he wants and expects from players. Strong characters like that inevitably fall out with players from time to time, and end up moving players on to other clubs. We had a similar character with McLean - although McLean could have a joke, woe betide anyone who got on the wrong side of him.

Gannon's number 2 is believed to be the buffer between players and Gannon - and has a good reputation for smoothing out the minor infractions/disagreements.

I believe McGhee by comparison was a bit closer to the payers (perhaps necessarily after Uncle Phil) but I would still expect him to enforce discipline where he saw fit - he certainly has a record for this at other clubs. Perhaps a difference in style/method, but ultimately the same end result from what I have seen.

Selling Clarkson and Quinn is suicide for me and no ammount of people telling me that "it had to be done" is gonna cut it. I just can't see it that way. The remaining "Motherwell" players sadly aren't going to cut it anymore for us in the SPL so we better hope that Gannon has a really sound plan.