Dazzler

WONDERWELL

I notice Darren Smith was not even on the bench last night.

Not looking too good for him when we lose 9 first team players and he still can't get on the bench.

I'va always liked the Dazzler and was hoping McGhees departure would spell an extended run for the wee man. Looks like it's not to be.

Of course, He could have just been injured I guess.

I always thought he looked like he could be a player if given more than 10 mins to prove himself.

Think a fresh start at a new club or even a season on loan in the first division would be the answer. I heard ITC were keen to maybe take him in January and considering Malpas gave him his chance with us, that could be a good option for him.

Seemed totally lost last year but contributed much in 07/08 season and maybe just needs his confidence back, good luck to him whatever happens.

To be honest I think he's pish. Sorry, but thats what I think.

Saying that, we don't exactly have much cover and if we start getting rid of the pish like him and McGarry then we are really going to be struggling for numbers.

My thoughts as well to be honest but i do agree with the rest of the post. We're not in a position to be getting rid of any more players at the time being, so he must be worth a chance, at least for now

You'll never meet a nicer guy in football than Darren Smith. Never let being a footballer so young get to him unlike alot of the wee brats. I also think he is a decent player, hes still rough around the edges though which concerns me at his age.

And with the impending arrival of Humphrey, then the wide area is shortly becoming one area that we are quite well off of.

We have O'Brien and Humphrey (who would both appear to be first choice on either wing).

We now have the emergence of Slane (which has all the hallmarks of Faddy already, we are soon turning into Argentina branding every youngster the next Maradona, but he certainly has shades about him like Faddy, more so than Murphy/Coakley that went before him).

We also have Murphy that via McGhee and now what appears Gannon will be converted to a front-wide player in the style of Roscoe.

This now leaves us with 4 players that can be classed as out-and-out wingers. Not to mention Fitzy/McGarry that have previous in playing on the wing.

He seems very far down the pecking order, and could potentially be surplus to requirements.

I think a wee trip out on loan would do him good. We've seen before that he gets better with a run in the team so give him a shot at terrorising first division defences and bring him back in January for our Europa league clinching run in.

We now have the emergence of Slane (which has all the hallmarks of Faddy already, we are soon turning into Argentina branding every youngster the next Maradona, but he certainly has shades about him like Faddy, more so than Murphy/Coakley that went before him).

That's a little unfair! Slane has pace ;) In fact according to the Beeb Slane is one of the fastest players in the SPL.

Is a loan signing fair to Darren. For too long now, he's been on the fringes, trying to prove himself. I think it's better to tell him it's time to move on and offer him as a free to another club. Butcher and Malpas know all about him so how about offering him to ICT?

It would be good all round if he gets a fresh start to his career and we free up another wage for another signing.

Cheers Darren ;)

Maybe we should just let the boss decide if he is worth a place in the new formation/style he wants to play.

Yeah we could do that, same with picking the team, signing players, scouting players. We could even let Boyle & Co. run things the way they want to without us saying the way we want it done. FFS man, I know people don't like the way this forum has gone but sheesh lets just kill it by not discussing anything.... ;)

I always look to Darren's first run with the ball when he comes on. He seems a bit of a one trick pony, putting the head down and trying to out-sprint and out-muscle the left-back. If it works he gets the confidence and goes on to have an effective game. If it fails, in the case of say, Easton at Accies or Kalvenes at United who were stronger and faster (thankfully for him they've both now moved on),then you can wave goodbye to him for that game as he doesn't have another tactic for beating a man.

Could he be used up front? Very similar player to Clarkson in my opinion, and if my memory serves me was originally a striker. With the lack of depth up there, it could be worth a shout? Always like to see guys like him doing well for us so would be sad to see him go, although I don't really disagree with what everyone else has said.

You'll never meet a nicer guy in football than Darren Smith. Never let being a footballer so young get to him unlike alot of the wee brats. I also think he is a decent player, hes still rough around the edges though which concerns me at his age.

What does it matter that he is a nice guy? He has very little ability IMO and Im talking about even in reserve games he doesn't look good enough. The fact he was in the stand in Llanelli and hasn't even travelled to albania says it all. Think he should look for a new club for his own good as much as anything. Good luck to him.

While I'm not his biggest fan, at a time when people are saying we simply don't have enough goals in our team, I'm surprised at how many people are ready to dismiss Darren Smith, second top goalscorer behind John Sutton. With eight goals. Which isn't a lot but is probably as many as McGarry, Murphy and O'Brien combined...

I really do think he could do something for us were he to get a good run in the team.

However, with the news he's not even on the trip to Albania; I think the chances of him establishing himself under JG look quite bleak.

It is, of course, VERY early days and things can change.

As someone stated earlier; He was originally on the books as a striker. Wonder if he could find himself in this role again?

McGhee's first season in charge - 5 starts/ 4 goals

Also I'm pretty sure from these 5 starts he was voted MOTM 2 or 3 times on these very boards.

I've been thinking along the lines of Frazzle.

While he lacks the guile to be an out and out winger, I think his direct style of running and eye for goal could pay dividends if was to go a shot upfront.

Regardless of his best position however, there is definately scope for him in the squad. Very handy impact player in my opinion.