Heard A Rumour @ Llanelli

well_legless_69

I agree with that Brazilian, i cant undestand the reason for the pressure on him. If Gannon gets rid of him its managerial suicide, i could see him being quickly turned on and understandably so. Its one thing to want to start fresh but you cant treat senior squad members who have given alot for the club in that manner.

That is absolute rubbish......I think Gannon is more qualified to make a judgement on a player than you are! Crags has never, and will never be a stand out, we have lost more goals to crosses and throw ins than any other team in the SPL, he has no pace and is another year older! If Gannon thinks he can get a better player or Crags has thrown the toys out the pram after being rightly singled out for criticism, then fair play to him, he's the boss and has a great reputation, so why should you doubt him?

Sometimes I feel that there are players at Motherwell have an un-dying affinity to, yet they are no world beaters! I consider Keith Lasley in that mould as well, and I believe both are replaceable!

So to sum up, crags has no pace, isn't dominant in the air, has a tendancy to switch off, can distrubute the ball.........so why should he be untouchable?

Just my opinion mind!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've lacked a dynamic leader for some time IMHO. A midfield battler who leads by example and can motivate all players around him into giving of their best is what we need.

A Billy Bremner type.

Maybe Jennings is his man for the job? All action midfielder by all accounts, and was up for the captaincy at his last club!

That is absolute rubbish......I think Gannon is more qualified to make a judgement on a player than you are! Crags has never, and will never be a stand out, we have lost more goals to crosses and throw ins than any other team in the SPL, he has no pace and is another year older! If Gannon thinks he can get a better player or Crags has thrown the toys out the pram after being rightly singled out for criticism, then fair play to him, he's the boss and has a great reputation, so why should you doubt him?

Sometimes I feel that there are players at Motherwell have an un-dying affinity to, yet they are no world beaters! I consider Keith Lasley in that mould as well, and I believe both are replaceable!

So to sum up, crags has no pace, isn't dominant in the air, has a tendancy to switch off, can distrubute the ball.........so why should he be untouchable?

Just my opinion mind!

And you could definately include Martyn Corrigan in that mould as well! Blind faith, despite being well past their best, or indeed never that good in the first place!

He can tackle, reads the game well, helps less experienced players out, can header the ball fairly well, is usually in the right place at the right time, has the club at heart and i wouldnt say he is prone to switching off. All desirable qualities. You dont get capped 40 times at international level being pish. Id rather have him than an unproven player from the english league. You dont see both how good a defender and how important to the side he is until he is out the team. Believe me Craggs would walk into any defence in League 1/League 2 which is more than likely where our targets will come from and they wont be the cream of the crop either.

He can tackle, reads the game well, helps less experienced players out, can header the ball fairly well, is usually in the right place at the right time, has the club at heart and i wouldnt say he is prone to switching off. All desirable qualities. You dont get capped 40 times at international level being pish. Id rather have him than an unproven player from the english league. You dont see both how good a defender and how important to the side he is until he is out the team. Believe me Craggs would walk into any defence in League 1/League 2 which is more than likely where our targets will come from and they wont be the cream of the crop either.

I couldn't care less if he has the club at heart, it doesn't make you a great player, and i'm affraid we will certainly have to agree to disagree on you opinion of Crags, but that's fair enough......we don't need to agree!

As for being capped 40 times by N.I............it's hardly a super power of world football now is it? How many caps has a Faroes player for example.........plenty! Doesn't mean he is a great player!

I have faith in the new manager, and by all means have a pop if his reign proves to be a bad one, but if he is successful i'll remember to remind you of you point of view at this point in time...........likewise you can do the same to me if I am wrong! :lol:

Oh and big Ports came from League 1......and you can't say he wasn't successful, so why should you be so quick to suggest that it isn't a decent league or that decent players can't come from it? I think John Boyle would like to think it was a good bit of business, considering what we got for big Ports when he moved to Derby!

The league is decent enough, i watch enough of it following carlisle to appreciate that but out of all the teams iv seen live in the league very good defenders arent exactly plentiful. Stevie Hammell for example was considered to be one of, if not the best in league 1 when he was there by fans of teams iv spoken to yet he is sometimes criticised as a poor defender by some of our fans. I dont know if that is more of a reflection of the quality of the defenders in league 1/league 2 or our fans though. :lol: All im saying is i think Craigan is as good a defender as we can hope for, i will say however that we need somebody bigger next to him it may not be a popular decision but i would replace reynolds at centre back before Craigan. You are entitled to disagree though mate, we're only fans. :nod:

The league is decent enough, i watch enough of it following carlisle to appreciate that but out of all the teams iv seen live in the league very good defenders arent exactly plentiful. Stevie Hammell for example was considered to be one of, if not the best in league 1 when he was there by fans of teams iv spoken to yet he is sometimes criticised as a poor defender by some of our fans. I dont know if that is more of a reflection of the quality of the defenders in league 1/league 2 or our fans though. :lol:

Well we will just need to wait and see, but I will support our manager until such times as I become a sceptic, and remember, losing quinn, clarkson, hughes, klimpl, porter etc had nothing to do with the new manager, the big shovel face and boyle (plus the muppets that run the SPL) are responsible for that!

Also the players themselves; let's not lose sight of that fact....

Fair point Haggis, they can defo be added to the list of blame! I am just worried people judge Gannon unfairly. He has a very hard task ahead of him, harder than any manager in the recent past in my opinion, based on the fact that he has to deal with relatively high expectations (due to McGhee's rein), with one of the weakest squads to ever be inherited!

I know I'm in the minority here, but if we do bring in a new centre-back, it wouldn't be Craigan that I'd be replacing...

A minority but not alone. Proof was the 1-1 game v Falkirk earlier in the season when Reynolds left to man the defence for 1 min and failed.

A minority but not alone. Proof was the 1-1 game v Falkirk earlier in the season when Reynolds left to man the defence for 1 min and failed.

I'm going to sound like a doom mongerer, but I tend to agree, based on last seasons form! But he is young and deserves a chance. Mind you both Crags and Reynold are way better than Strong and Ready, so we should be glad of that atleast......and yes I know both of them came from Englands lower leagues and were rubbish, just incase people think I am contradicting myself!

Hi i thougth as well thata crags was saying goodbye in fact I turned to my daughter and said is that goodbye???

He walked the full length of the stand appluading the fans b4 turning and tryiing to walk staright up tunnell. Yes Jg did shake his hand but even then it was a token gestuyre from craigen, i hope he dont go we were lost at the back last season when he was injured, also the way things are shaping up it could be they cash in on reynolds as well as tghe others that have gone, to help fund buys.

Changes to the original squad could be made up until midnight last night. From then we are allowed to add one 'wildcard' player to the squad to play in Albania up to 24 hours before the tie starts.

I heard at the game that we have until midnight moinday to register squad for the game thats why they expect 5/6 players in over weekend, apparently they are sitting there ready to sign????

I heard at the game that we have until midnight moinday to register squad for the game thats why they expect 5/6 players in over weekend, apparently they are sitting there ready to sign????

I'm sure the quote from the UEFA website has been posted a couple of times on this forum somewhere (I'm sure Wellfan1984 has posted it at least twice) that Friday was the deadline. I would be glad to be wrong.

On the subject of Craigan, I tend to agree that he is the stronger of our two centre backs at the moment. But Reynolds will (or certainly should) improve over time whereas it could be argued that Craigan is as good as he will ever be and, at his age, his ability could be about to wane. Just playing devil's advocate.

On the subject of applauding the full Motherwell support on Thursday, could it be argued that he was applauding the Motherwell support given the fact that they had made a very long journey to get there and he personally felt they deserved a bit of thanks? Particularly given the previous game? Perhaps he was aware of the support that he personally had had among Motherwell supporters following the previous week's criticism and wanted to say thanks? I just think it's a bad day when applauding the support is seen as ominous. Not like he threw his shirt into the crowd...

EDIT

On the point about the deadline, I rooted around and found what WF1984 posted on July 6th

In fact here is the regulation

List A has to be submitted by the following fixed deadlines:

a) 22 June 2009 (24.00 CET) for all matches in the first qualifying round;

b) 10 July 2009 (24.00 CET) for all matches in the second qualifying round;

c) 24 July 2009 (24.00 CET) for all matches in the third qualifying round;

d) 10 August 2009 (24.00 CET) for all matches in the play-off round;

e) 1 September 2009 (24.00 CET) for all further matches from the first match in the group stage up to and including the final.

For the three qualifying rounds and the play-offs, after the above-mentioned qualifying dates, one player on List A may be changed until 24.00 CET on the day before the relevant first-leg match, provided that the club’s national association confirms in writing that the new player is eligible to play at domestic level at this time.

Taken from here

I agree, people seem to forget how young Reynolds is. His main asset is his pace which not many centre backs have in the SPL. Playing beside a more dominant centre back he would really flourish. Reynolds will eventually be sold for in excess of £1 million in my opinion.

I agree, people seem to forget how young Reynolds is. His main asset is his pace which not many centre backs have in the SPL. Playing beside a more dominant centre back he would really flourish. Reynolds will eventually be sold for in excess of £1 million in my opinion.

I wasn't necessarily saying that Craigan should be shipped out, just saying that if Gannon is looking at players he can improve, there is only one first team centre back that realistically falls into that category...

As this afternoon (MONDAY) We have no new signings, very dissapointed. Have we been linked with anyone? Also Hughes turned down wages at Aberdeen. Can we not still try and sign him? Hes better than lasley? He can be the creator and Jennings the tough tackler with an eye for goal.

I do like Craigan but he is past it. He would be good to keep around, on the bench in the background and giving him a run out against the old firm away as we usually loose to the scum anyway.

Just my opinion.

You mention Jennings can be the tough tackler but also the one with an eye for goal! Hughes, as the attacking midfielder should be the one with the eye for goal. Only at Motherwell would we be happy with an attacking/creative midfielder with such a poor assist and goal ratio. As for comparing him to Lasley, and I am certainly not Lasley's biggest fan but they are two different types of midfielders.

Here's a point, has Gannon even offered Hughes a chance to stay?

I can confirm at least that Gannon spoke to Hughes the evening he was unveiled as our manager so, they have had a chat at least!

Noticed the BBC article with Hughes being linked to Hearts, under the picture it says "Hughes has knocked back a contract at Motherwell.." (or words to that effect) - has he? Never heard anything about that?!