Steaua Vs Motherwell

rab_mackinnon

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goian is a huge threat at any set piece, the guys huge + has scored loads of goals from centre half, and seeing as we dont have anyone near as big as him and our history with set piece goals, giving away free kicks + corners could kill us

tho i think the tactic of using Slane,Humphrey + Murphy up top + dropping Sutton could be equally damaging to Steaua if we get them on the ball or in behind

Can any of rhe Romanian fans tell me if there is a shop near the stadium and how much football tops cost ?

The official store it's in the stadium. See this for all the info you need about the costs.

I have two questions for you guys :huh:

How many of you will come to Bucharest?

and

How fast do you get drunk? :O:lol:

The official store it's in the stadium. See this for all the info you need about the costs.

I have two questions for you guys B-)

How many of you will come to Bucharest?

and

How fast do you get drunk? :O:huh:

Thanks for that. I'm not sure about actual figures but we will be drunk when we arrive and wont be sober until we return :O:lol:

Goian is a huge threat at any set piece, the guys huge + has scored loads of goals from centre half, and seeing as we dont have anyone near as big as him and our history with set piece goals, giving away free kicks + corners could kill us

tho i think the tactic of using Slane,Humphrey + Murphy up top + dropping Sutton could be equally damaging to Steaua if we get them on the ball or in behind

Interesting fan you have here :evilgrin:

Goian used to score goals at almost any set piece, but in the last season, we've (all team) only scored few goals. We shall surely miss Kapetanos(striker, suspended for the first leg) and O.Petre (tall centre midfielder, now recovering from a knee injury) when receiving free kicks and corners.

Speaking about tactics, you must know that in Bucharest we usualy play with 12 players. :thumbup: At the international games, all the people in the stadium puts an enormous pressure on the opponents. That might count a lot considering that , from what i've read, you have a squad full of youngsters.

This is a video made last year ( before, during and after the game) about the atmosphere in Ghencea stadium, in the second leg of the third qulifying round of Champions League against Turkish champions, Galatasaray. It ended 1-0 for us, scored #16, Nicolita (it was offside, we know -_- , but we would've still qulified without that goal because in the first leg it was 2-2, in Istanbul)

Speaking about tactics, you must know that in Bucharest we usualy play with 12 players. :cheers: At the international games, all the people in the stadium puts an enormous pressure on the opponents. That might count a lot considering that , from what i've read, you have a squad full of youngsters.
A number of players in our team (including some of the younger ones) have experienced playing Rangers and Celtic, so they will be used to big crowds and biased referees.

I think part of the excitement of European games for me is the fact we don't know as much about our opponents. We all know exactly what we're going to get when we play St Mirren or Kilmarnock but this is all new and refreshing.

It brings its a different kind of edge and nervousness to the lead up to the games as we attempt to work out how good they are, how good we are and try to work out how its going to go, all without really being quite sure.

And this one is no different.

I am excited at the prospect of lining up against a former European Cup winner but have little or no clue as to how we compare to them, particularly with us having 2 guys who have only played once for us and potentially 3 in the squad we haven't seen yet.

As I think Jay said way back in the thread without knowing much about Steaua at first glance just got to hope we can keep the tie alive when we bring them back to Scotland. Anything more than that would be fantastic.

I think part of the excitement of European games for me is the fact we don't know as much about our opponents. We all know exactly what we're going to get when we play St Mirren or Kilmarnock but this is all new and refreshing.

Spot on. I find the SPL dull beyond words and without my attachment to Motherwell, I'd have no interest in it whatsoever. Despite having Setanta last season, I can't think of a single occasion when I sat and watched a live game on TV. We play the same teams so often that we almost know as much about them as we do about Motherwell. For that reason, I like pre-season friendlies, even if the quality of football is sometimes dubious, simply because they involve teams, players and venues that are usually unfamiliar. The same applies to those rare occasions when we draw an unfamliar side in one of the cups - being drawn against Inverurie Locos created a lot more excitement than St Mirren would have, for instance. To have European football, playing three clubs none of us knew much about, at this time of the year is wonderful.

It's going to be really tough, and as some mentioned above its our toughest Euro test probably, but I think if we can get a decent result next week ie still be in the tie then I'll be delighted. An away goal next week would be excellent providing we don't concede too many!

Mon the Well!!!!!

Have to agree there , I think Gannon clearly picks his team to do a specific job gameby game at the moment and will probably be a bit less flair and attack minded.

I'd be happy with a 1-1 away from home , although 'd be delighted with a sneaky 0-1 away win with a goal of Bob Malcomesque in of someones knob style.

I think Gannon might revert to his favoured 4-2-3-1 formation for this tie, giving a solid back four the protection in front it will probably need on the night. The full backs and attacking midfield three will need to support the lone striker well if we are to threaten the Steaua goal and even keep some good possession.

I feel the team will line up like this:

Fraser/Ruddy

Page/New Signing

Craigan

Reynolds

Hammell

Lasley

Jennings

Humphrey

Forbes

Slane

Sutton

If we can be competitive on the night and ensure we have a fighting chance in the second leg then that will do me fine.

I'd go along with that SD. A 4-2-3-1 when we have the ball and a 4-5-1 when we don't. It's gonna be a heour of a shift for Sutton up front on his own, and if we do revert to the long ball, the 3 boys have got to get up and get on the end of his flick ons as much as possible. Slane and Murphy can certainly finish a ball, they've shown that over the course of the last couple of games, and with Sutton's aerial power and Forbes' left foot, there is certainly a lot of potential for an away goal.

Said it before, and I'll say it again, the main thing is that we're still in the tie come the 6th of August.

As much as this has to be a far more defensive side than the one we put out against Flamurtari. I don't think there is a chance that Murphy will be dropped after his hat-trick.

Jennings may have to make way, as he is short of games compared to the others. This wasn't as exposed against the Albanians, but we will be unable to get away with it as much against the Romanians.

And dropping O'Brien, is a tad unfair. He may not have had the best game against Flamurtari, but he was asked to do a job, that clearly he is unfamiliar with. And on the wing he has been relatively good, as judged by Andy P's MotM polls that see's him sitting in 2nd place.

Would far prefer seeing:

GK - Ruddy/Fraser - Pretty sure Jim won't have liked too much that he has saw from Fraser, and knows what he is getting from Ruddy from his spells at Stockport. So, more than likely be Ruddy between the sticks in Bucharest.

DL - Hammell - Will probably return to LB, mainly due to Hutchinson being that bit too inexperienced for such a big game, and will want Hammell's experience and reverting Reynolds back to CB

DC - Craigan

DC - Reynolds - Both speak for themselves

DR - Saunders/Page - Both relatively untested, but we won't be seeing O'Brien return to RB. And unless we have a signing in as the wildcard, it will be one of these two. Perhaps Page's defensive work will give him the nod. Not impressed at all so far from Saunders.

CM - Lasley - Seems that bit fitter than Jennings, and for that reason should start

CM - Forbes - No way he can be dropped after his previous 4 matches, playing in the deeper role to accomodate Murphy/Slane/O'Brien

WR - O'Brien - Think would be very unfair for him to miss out at the expense of Humphrey, don't think Humphrey did anything against Flamurtari to merit a start ahead of Jim. By no means did I think he was poor, just reckon that Jim has done enough in the previous 4 matches to still start ahead, as well as being ahead in terms of fitness. This also allows Chris to come on in the 2nd half and hopefully utilise his pace to the max.

WL - Slane - Picks himself

AMC - Murphy - His hat-trick must ensure that he starts in Bucharest, and hopefully can go on and equal the European goalscoring record. Can interchange with Sutton if Gannon wants to persevere with his Flamurtari tactics.

ST - Sutton - Well we have no one else

Began looking at articles about the game in the papers today, a good interview with Craigan in the Sunday Herald, but it seems, at least according to the Sunday Mail, we don't exist <_<

Mail

Just typical of those useless rags. Quick to mention us when things don't go for us, forgetful otherwise. Arse of a rag.