Craigan's Own Goals

hippo

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am firmly in the Craggo is the man camp...The guy regularly puts his body where it hurts for this team, week in week out and gets very little credit for it. My opinion, the guy has been crying out for a decent centre half partner for god knows how long and frequently it seems he is the only one at the back line who gives 100% when he plays. For a guy who does just about everything at the back I think it is about time some others in the back line get their act together and play the game as committed as Craggo.

Yes he aint good with headers and his passing is shocking but I tell you the guy is so bloody busy marshalling an atrocious back line I am suprised he ain't hoarse at the end of every game.

A great man, Captain and ambassador for this club, wears his heart on his sleeve and can frequently be seen on the edge of his seat when out injured, dying to get on and in about them.

Long live the king

Craigan is a decent defender who excels at using his positional sense to help make that last-ditch tackle that can save certain goals.

His only real concern is a lack of pace that means that he can get 'turned' by attackers and that can leave him in the position where he does get the odd 'own goal' as he is chasing back into the box to try and prevent someone from scoring.

He is vital defender to the club (as last season proved when out of the team) and will be again this season. Our main worry will be in finding an able replacement as both Captain and Club ambassador.

Anyway, mon the 'craggs! :O

Craigan is a solid player who controls our defence very well. However, for whatever reason, he is more prone to cocking up than alot of defenders.

Just one of those enigma's...would still have him in my team for the work he does do.

I too think Craigan had a decent game last night, the own goal i think Saunders (i think it was Saunders) was partially to blame, challenged for a header he should have won and never and i dont think Craigan expected it to come straight through, he was positioning for the striker that jumped with Saunders winning the ball i think. There were a few times when he broke the defensive line to go and win the tackle 15 yards further up although he gets no credit for this when Saunders and Hutchinson tried the same thing and got skinned something awful. This isnt a swipe at the younger guys btw, just saying that i think they are who needs replacing, not Craigan, its unfair to expect much from them in a game against a team like that.

Motherwell's own Frank Sinclair.

It was a big error from Craggs last night, if he was trying to control the ball then it has been a calamity. If he was clearing the ball then it has to be with his left foot. Other than that, he did OK on what was a trying night.

Guy who touched it on handled it in my view, irrelevant I know but that touch more than anything contributed hugely to the outcome. Shit happens, Crags will deal with it as he always does.

Lasley's OG at Airdrie was a cracker

Funnily enough, seem to remember that oh so well, was it not in like the last 5 minutes or something? all the more gutting, was a cracker of an o.g though!

On the topic of Craggs, think it was just a real bit of bad luck last night, but even going with the left foot, i fear he may have sliced it and we would have ended up with the same result! ;)

Everyone seems to be getting right behind craggs which is what we need to do. Lets not forget its really early days for the team with all the new younger guys coming through. Stevie craigans experience is what will allow them to play decent football while he picks up the slack. If i had a quid for the amount of times a striker has turned marky reynolds, only to be met by stevie craigan. Younger players will make more mistakes (just purely down to less experience) on and off the field thats why we need craggs he is the heart of our team and club.

Mon the stevie craigan ;)

On the topic of Craggs, think it was just a real bit of bad luck last night, but even going with the left foot, i fear he may have sliced it and we would have ended up with the same result! ;)

I agree. It would have been a lot more spectacular though :D Still not as good as his against Hearts though, that was a screamer :lol:

Craigan was fantastic last night I thought - our best outfield player.

He broke up about four attacks when he was the last (Or nearly last) man. Indeed, in the first thirty minutes had it not been for him and Ruddy we could've been three or four down. He was so, so unlucky with the goal and these things happen but he's a terrific player, a terrific guy and a top captain of the club.

'Flow

allan were you at the game caller? ;)

most fans were saying we need a centre half pronto :lol:

Craigans always been reliable for us.

Sure hes scored some own goals but always when hes been trying to stop a goal anyway he can. Craigans the most experienced and loyal player in the squad and in my opinion we need him for a while yet.

Lets look at a bright side, we scored 8 at Airdrie last round .

We only need half that this time :thumbup:

CMON THE WELL

Craigan was immense last night. I appreciate the original post asking about own goals. I ask why? Who cares how many. He is coming to the end of his lifespan at the club, has been a great servant, captain, spokesman and I agree with Flow. But, and there is always a but, I think we need a change in central defence. But I have no idea what or who. Whatever it is we need pace at the back. All modern footballers need to have speed and we need that big strong commanding centre half to win the high balls. Sorry but for me Crags has not been doing that and struggles against that type of player. But who cares about OG's?

The reason I asked is because I am curious and I don't know the answer.

My memory tells me that Craigan seems to score more og's than most and I was wondering if I am right or whether my mind is playing tricks.

Every og is unlucky. An og, or even several, doesn't make Stephen Craigan a bad player.

Just for comparison, according to "The Knowledge" in The Guardian, leading o.g. scorers are Butcher with 6 during his Rangers spell and Carragher with 6 at Liverpool.

Richard Dunn and Frank Sinclair have also scored 6 EPL own goals, but not all at the same club.

The reason I asked is because I am curious and I don't know the answer.

Every og is unlucky. An og, or even several, doesn't make Stephen Craigan a bad player.

I think it's 7 after last night but that is just a hunch. I am sure that it was 6 towards the end of last season.

While every og may be unlucky it is not totally independant of ability. It is not simply fate that causes og's. I think last nights og was unlucky but better defenders would have dealt better with the ball that came into the box.

Some of Craigans og's have been avoidable but I agree that that does not condemn him to being a bad player. I would rather see him in the team than not.

If Marc Fitzpatrick had scored 7 og's in his time at Motherwell I wonder if he would be getting off so lightly?