Craigan's Own Goals

hippo

I think it's 7 after last night but that is just a hunch. I am sure that it was 6 towards the end of last season.

While every og may be unlucky it is not totally independant of ability. It is not simply fate that causes og's. I think last nights og was unlucky but better defenders would have dealt better with the ball that came into the box.

Some of Craigans og's have been avoidable but I agree that that does not condemn him to being a bad player. I would rather see him in the team than not.

If Marc Fitzpatrick had scored 7 og's in his time at Motherwell I wonder if he would be getting off so lightly?

Just had a quick check and reckon seven in competitive fixtures is correct.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking about own goals, check out this one:

:rolleyes:

Nicolita did it, big time, against RealMadrid, on Bernabeu. And it ended 1-0...

He also scored one from about 6-8 yards, straight at the top corner of the goal, against Poli Iasi. Can't find it on youtube though.

Now thats a balls up!!!

Bollocks. As many have said in here Craigan was still a stand out last night. Many players would have went into a shell after the OG like that but Craigan was once again solid. Past it my arse. Take him out the team against St Johnstone and we'll get hammered as he is still a better central defender than Hutchison and Reynolds.

He needs a partner in the centre though that is not learning his game. Let Craigan teach them on the training ground, not in a match situation and you'll see there is still much to come from Craigan

To me a total enigma.

I don't see it as a big mystery. He is probably the best CB at the club and he does organise those around him well, hence when he's out of the team, we play more poorly. However, that doesn't mean that there might be a better option out there for us. I'm not 100% convinced he'll be a big part of the Gannon rebuilding process, but maybe my scepticism will prove unfounded, we'll see

mibi we could play craggs up front to partner sutty?

lol just kidden

he is by far the best CB at teh club, he is great in the air and for what he looses in pace he sure as hell picks up in experience

i think he will be an excellent coach for the youngsters coming through!

No matter what we say Jim Gannon is going to decide if he stays or not. Gannon played in a similar position and I think he will move to replace Craggs very soon as he appears to like a bit of youth about. My personal opinion is that his best days are behind him as far as pace is concerned but still reads the game well and can make some good tackles although is never forceful enough for me.

i personally think craigan has been found out by gannon and if the boss can he will replace him. he has been losing a yard of pace every year for the last couple. he actually might be going backwards now.

I think you are spot on too mate. A cracker of a player and a gent as well.....but I just get the impression that Gannon (by watching him at our recent 'home' games and his reactions to the Craigan HOOF up the park) is not a fan.

7 o.g.s is a fair amount right enough. Has he more than Butcher? I remember a cracker at Tannadice where the Utd Keeper (McAlpine? Thompson? Main?) punts it for Butcher to try to header it and it goes behind him, straight by Woods and into the net. Never touched the deck. Tell me someone else remembers this.

My take on Crags is the guy is too nice. For the style of player he is he just isn't your typical old fashioned centre half. Some players when it's not going right can resort to 'the break his fuckin' legs' scenario. Crags doesn't have that in his makeup, maybe if we had someone like "Tony Adams" beside him we'd have the perfect partnership. Not havin' a go at Adams by the way (personally think he's one of the best centre halves i've ever seen) but some players need others beside them to get the best out them. Billy Bremner - Terry Hunter, Emlyn Hughes - Tommy Smith, Willie Miller - Doug Rougvie and Big Eck, Terry Yorath - Kevin Keegan and of course our own Batman and Robin......... God - Bobby Graham.

Christ am geein' ma age away here big time :lol: Any youse young pups want tae know who am on about email the bbc and ask for match of the day clips fae the 70's. <_<

I was at a charity sports function about 15 years ago and on the panel was Emlyn Hughes, someone in the audience asked him who had scored the most goals against Liverpool in his time at the club and he kind of waffled on naming certain strikers from his time but ultimately admitted he hadn't a clue. The questioner then said "Well actually Emlyn it's you "

No striker had scored as many goals against Liverpool as the 12 og's he had scored in his time there.

Weird, but as Emlyn said "Most strikers only played against Liverpool twice a season I played against them every week"

I understand people will reward loyalty with loyalty, but does this extend to the point where even if there are better players available (to sign, not already at the club) we keep the old guy who is loyal to the club and does an ok job most times and a terrible or brilliant job at others? Or do we get some new blood in who may not be at the club for years but will do a better job for us week in week out for a while?

No OG in the world is ever deliberate, its just that if you make too many mistakes its going to get picked up on, and if you only compensate for those mistakes every so often then the cons start to outwiegh the pros. Pace, timing, skill at passing and clearing are all part of a defender's game and for the past few years it looks to me like Craggs' has dwindled gradually in most areas.

Well fans in general seem to love cult heroes and despise players who leave for bigger clubs or more money (I, for one, hate Scott Mcdickhead and don't think much of Buzz, Hughes et al leaving for more money at smaller teams down south) but the heroe's have all got to come to end sometime. I mean, if I was playing for Well every week I'd be more loyal than anyone on the team, and throw myself into every challenge with aplomb, but that doesn't make me the best man for the job.

This isn't a slight on Craigan, or a personal dig, just a little realisation and my point of view on the matter.

I wait with no baited breath for the arrows to fly in my direction now.......