• Giles Coke
    • John Sutton
    • Jamie Murphy
    • Paul Slane
    • Bob McHugh
    • Chris Humphrey
    • Steve Jennings
    • Null Vote

Quite a few shouts for man of the match but my vote went to Coke. A very impressive home debut and I look forward to watching him over the next few years

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was hutchinson and i dont think it was his nose because there was blood down the side of his face

Woosh! :lol:

Tough choice tonight but the type of tough choice that's good to have to make.

Hammell was outstanding in the first half and really kept it tight down the line. Coke was composed and comfortable on the ball and really looked the part. Hutchison won just about every ball in the air and really cleared up well. Sutton was superb and layed off a number of great balls for those around him. Reynolds did very well in breaking up their attacks and harassing their midfield and that shot was a belter.

But, it was young Forbes for me who really looked like creating the goals and was outstanding in the middle of the park. Alongside the likes of Coke and Jennings, I could see us having a very good midfield this year.

Quite a few shouts for man of the match but my vote went to Coke. A very impressive home debut and I look forward to watching him over the next few years

Just hope he signs an extension to his one year deal then!

Going with Forbes, great performance from him, what a difference from last week when he looked out of his depth but recovered well tonight, well done Ross!

Echoing whats already been said, felt Coke had a good game also, looks really comfortable on the ball, even when under pressure. Looks like he'll be a good addition to the squad.

I thought Sutton worked hard as well, but Murphy failed to really provide much support for any flick on's that Sutt's provided.

Overall though, Forbes was a clear standout for me!

Sutton for me, great performance from the front man and looks good for the coming season, linked up well with play as well as getting on the end of the punts from the long ball, good variation of play and Gannon is bringing on Forbes just brilliantly comes close. Never been more happy after a defeat

Although I voted for Sutton, Forbes deserves a lot of credit - not only for tonight's performance on it's own, but for going into the game tonight against a top class European side, against whom he'd given away a penalty and been hooked off in the first half just a week before, and give that sort of performance is fantastic.

The biggest plus point in having Forbes this season is the fact that he has a fantastic left foot and isn't afraid to have a go. How many times did we prance about with the ball on the edge of the opponent's box last season, afraid to actually dig the thing? Forbes will score a few crackers this season!

sutton was brill tonight, won like every single ball in the air, came back to help the midfield at times and didn't stop trying for the full game.

forbes and coke played really well together as did craigan and hutchinson

Reynolds coming off turned the tie in favour of Steaua.

Until then Steaua hadn't really had a sniff and our midfield was breaking everything down.

Sutton did really well and Forbes looks like a great new talent but when things went against us you could see his confidence was rattled and his game suffered.

MotM: Mark Reynolds.

No failures tonight with great performances all over the park, but I thought the deployment of Mark Reynolds in defensive midfield was a masterstroke and he was superb in that role.

Tough choice between Coke, Sutton and Hutchison. In the end went for Coke.

I think most of the team played very well last night, but for the all the praise of Forbes, I have to say that he will have to learn to release the ball a bit quicker. In the second half, he got himself caught in possession a few times. I know we'll not play against midfields as good as Steaua's every week but one thing we will play against on a regular basis is teams who will hassle and harry. And young Slane needs to learn that he doesn't need to do it all himself. And I think Murphy didn't seem to enjoy being stuck out wide. But these are minor quibbles in what was a great performance.

Reynolds coming off turned the tie in favour of Steaua.

Until then Steaua hadn't really had a sniff and our midfield was breaking everything down.

Sutton did really well and Forbes looks like a great new talent but when things went against us you could see his confidence was rattled and his game suffered.

MotM: Mark Reynolds.

Mark Reynolds was turned inside out when the penalty was given, although admittedly he seemed to relish the holding role in midfield. I agree that if Reynolds was still on the park for the whole game, Stancu wouldn't have had the time to steady himself and ping in the 2nd goal. I think we'll see Reynolds playing in that role a lot more often this season.

So do you think Gannon will manage to get a couple of loans from Steaua since he and Bergodi seemed to be long lost pals?! :D

Lots of great performances but I voted for Sutton simply because he won absolutely everything last night. Gannon seems to have found his most effective position and works large part of the game through him, something McGhee never came close to doing.

hardly a failure in the team, although we really need a right back to come in quickly. Hammell, Hutchison, Coke, Reynolds, Forbes, Sutton and Slane all had great games.

'Grammy' got the m.o.t.m. from me though, composed on the ball, rarely mis-placed a pace and is more physically imposing than Hughes ever was.

Didnt deserve to lose 3-1. Roll on a week on Saturday because if the boys can be up for it the way they were tonight then we could be looking at a great start to the league season.

Jim Gannon's Motherwell Army!!