Europa League

EastStandWellFan

I was in Bucharest and really enjoyed myself. The Romanians I met (with the exception of the taxi drivers) were warm friendly people and I felt strangely at home there. I gave a wee boy my Motherwell wristband and a scarf and you would have thought I'd given him a thousand euro. I hope they do well in the competition and would love to meet them again next season.

What will the self-proclaimed GFITW say? Surely only they are capable of having supporters like this. :notworthy:

On a serious note, could maybe get a footnote in the programme or something for the Killie game regarding the way our fans have integrated and been praised.

Its nice to see, especially given the negative press in the past. It would be good to see the club is proud of its fans just as we are proud of our club.

I enjoyed the craic with the Nancy lads at JD's last year and good to see we're mixing well with the Steuea boys this year.

We (and I include myself in that) need to stop worrying about comparing ourselves to the OF. We have a great travelling support who obviously make a fine impression with opposition fans. We shouldn't be defined by how we stack up against the OF - hardly the standard bearers of excellence, anyway.

Our identity as a club doesn't rely on the OF. Let the media carry on with their Rangers/Celtic obsession, and let the 'Well (and other non-OF) fans take care of our own clubs' reputations. The people of Nancy, Llanelli, Vlorë and Bucharest were smart enough to make up their own minds. We don't need spoon-fed by the Glasgow journos to tell us how good we are; we heard it first-hand :whistling:

We (and I include myself in that) need to stop worrying about comparing ourselves to the OF. We have a great travelling support who obviously make a fine impression with opposition fans. We shouldn't be defined by how we stack up against the OF - hardly the standard bearers of excellence, anyway.

Our identity as a club doesn't rely on the OF. Let the media carry on with their Rangers/Celtic obsession, and let the 'Well (and other non-OF) fans take care of our own clubs' reputations. The people of Nancy, Llanelli, Vlorë and Bucharest were smart enough to make up their own minds. We don't need spoon-fed by the Glasgow journos to tell us how good we are; we heard it first-hand :D

Well said, I'm sure we have now built up a good reputation where it matters. I honestly couldn't give a shit about what the tabloids say. The way we were likened to Aberdeen in our defeat last week was typical of the crap they publish!

i agree with wee yin. celtic fans seem to have some sort of attention seeking gene were they can't go anywhere without creating special bonds and having them highlighted in the press with a wee pat on the head. it's pathetic and also hypocritical considering some of their scummy behaviour abroad. obviously the hu.ns in manchester was the apex of scummy OF fans abroad but celtic have a litany of shameful incidents as well.

for me i went to wales and romania had a great time, met some decent people in both places and managed not cause any international incidents. i don't need or want a pull out in the daily record because of nor am i going to start a campaign to be awarded a fifa fair play award.

for me i went to wales and romania had a great time, met some decent people in both places and managed not cause any international incidents. i don't need or want a pull out in the daily record because of nor am i going to start a campaign to be awarded a fifa fair play award.

I agree. I'm always slightly bewildered by fans who boast that they travelled abroad and didn't get arrested or that they got on with people from another country. Isn't that how you're meant to behave?

You're right, some supporters have such a sense of entitlement that they think simply behaving like reasonable human beings is an achievement worthy of admiration.

the older ones amongst us will remember the frequent violent scenes which followed some English clubs in europe in the 70's/80's. coming from the same island, many in europe ( remember Nancy's worries :O ) kinda expect us all to be the same.

Now while the majority of English fans seem able to behave themselves abroad, it is often the natives who seem up for trouble.

We must never underestimate the impression made by us football fans when travelling abroad. For decades mainland europe had us Brits classified as animals .............. but oh how proud we felt seeing the reaction of the locals when we marched from Stan Sq to Marcel Piqot.

I had tears in my eyes when we were applauded off the ferry, by staff and passengers alike, returning from Dortmund :nod: