Young Players Contracts

gullane

Someone made a comment about Forbes' contract on another thread but I think it's such an important issue, it merits more prominence.

What is the current contract situation with Forbes, Slane, Hutchison, McHugh, Saunders and Page? It is clear our coming season is dependent upon our young players stepping up to the mark and contributing to the first team squad. So IMHO it makes sense to pay them the going rate and a sufficient length of contract to provide security and protection from predatory clubs.

Sign them up now!!!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slane doesn't concern me that much as he is a luxury player but we must be looking at Forbes and Hutchison in particular. These are guys you can build the spine of the team round. McHugh would be next on my list of priorities.

Oh and while we're at it, Coke's on a one year deal. Start talking to him as soon as possible would be my advice...

Slane doesn't concern me that much as he is a luxury player

Luxury player???? FFS absolute bollocks - so a guy that runs at opposing teams defences, can beat a man and score a goal or 10 is a luxury player in your estimations. Christ I would hate to watch a team full of players picked buy you. A player like Slane is pretty much as essential as a good defender or midfielder in my book. We need to get him signed up on a much longer term contract as much as we do for the rest of the guys mentioned.

Don't get me wrong, I think Slane has potential. And I would be talking to him, but he'd be down my list of priorities. I'd be trying to sort out the spine of the team first. Do you want to know why? Because without a decent spine to a team, you'll not win or retain the ball. And I don't care how many men Slane can beat, he'll not do much without the ball...

I think he has a lot more than a bit of potential IMO, but when you win and retain the ball using "the spine of your team" that you refer to do you not think that you need a player like Slane to give the ball to rather than just humping the ball up the park and giving it back to the opposition. Also when the defence or midfield are toiling do you not look for someone who can hold the ball up go for a bit of a run and alleviate the pressure and give their defence something to think about giving the forwards or midfielders time to get into position and give the defense a break?

Melvin Bragg is quite correct. Remember we are Motherwell. We'll be up against it just as much (if not more) than we're on the front foot.

Why do you reckon McFadden is regularly on the bench for Scotland, despite clearly being our best player? It's the same reason Maloney doesn't get a game. Luxury players are the type that the fans pay to watch, but if you're not in a position to get the ball to these guys and give them space to play, they're as good as a man down.

Whilst I don't disagree with the thinking behind the prioratising of the spine of the team in general Slane is still an immediate priority as he has the potential to be quite a sellable asset in anything from a few months to a season or so time if he continues to progress. So get all of them that are featuring in the 1st team signed up asap.

If Slane were to go at the end of the season and we got £300k development comp just how sick would you feel if a Cardiff or Celtic were flogging him 18 months later for millions? It hard to say if he'll reach that level, but at 17 he already knocking on the door of our first team and shone in the europa games and if he keeps his head screwed on then I wouldn't be at all surprised if he were to go far.

Never said that there wasn't a place for guys like Slane. But the key guys for us will be our centre backs, centre midfield and centre forward(s). That's why Forbes, Hutchison and McHugh would be my priorities.

You are right that guys like Slane can offer respite to the defence. But once again, only if you have people who can get the ball to them. For me our two key players outwith the defence this season are Coke and Forbes. If they can get the ball and use it well, we'll be OK. Slane will be a part of the team. But don't buy into the hype he's a key player. Not yet anyway...

I disagree that Slane's a luxury player.

Hovever, regardless of whether he is or whether he isn't, it's a must to get tied up on a contract because we need to get money when he goes.

The last 'luxury' player we had went to Cardiff for next to nowt.

We need to make sure we get dough when all of these young guys eventually move on and that means coming up with a strategy that prevents their agents from running their contracts down after we've given them a shop window.

It would also be good to hold on to some of them long enough to appreciate them. We got a couple of seasons fro O'Donnell, faddy and pearson.

These days we're happy to pack their suitcases for them after 10 appearances.

I never stated that I wouldn't be looking to have Slane on a longer more appropriate contract. But in terms of list of priorities contract wise, for me it would be..

Forbes

Coke

Hutchison

Slane and McHugh

Again, just my opinion. We've been lucky at Motherwell to have players like Cooper, McFadden and McCormack, players that can create out of nothing, but most SPL teams survive and prosper without such a player. Like it or not, in our league perspiration is at least equally important as inspiration...

Please don't let this thread go off track to discuss merits of Paul Slane. What sort of contracts are the young guys on at present? It's important the club gives them security as well as the chance to develop. And let's not lose them to the Old Firm for buttons.

I appreciate what people are saying about not losing these players for nothing. But I'm more thinking in terms of what Steve said about keeping a hold of them for a wee while. Not just to enjoy them but also to try and build a team that might develop over the next two years. There's the potential there for us to have a team in a couple of years with a bunch of guys in their early 20s with nearly a hundred games under their belt each.

That's maybe why I'm focussing on who I would consider crucial to the team, rather than resale value where Slane may outstrip the others...

Jamie Murphy signed a 3 year deal the season before last so he has 2 years left, Hutchison + Page signed 3 year pro deals this summer, Forbes I thought was out of contract this summer so must have got an extension,or he might just have 1 year left on that deal, Coke doesnt worry me so much either as his deal is 1 year with optional extension so we have the extra 2 or 3 years to tack on, the players Id look at 1st is McHugh,Slane,Saunders + Forbes (depending on his situation)

I'd wait until November/December before offering anyone a contract.

It's still way to early to judge players.

Look at Ruddy - one good game, one average game, one game looked a total bomb scare. So what one is the real Ruddy?

All these guys need two or three months of SPL football before we can really get a good idea of what they are worth.

but if these guys contracts are coming up at the end of the season,surely its better to tie them up as soon as, why would they re-negotiate in dec if they can wait till jan to see what else is on offer! Plus McHugh,Slane,Forbes,Saunders have all had impressive displays at u-19 + reserve level, several had international recognition and 8-10+ games where they have looked impressive in our current 1st team, id say that was enough to merit contract renewals. ( Hutchison,Page + Murphy are already tied up so they are fine)

Tho this might be the case and the club are doing it at the mo, or these guys might already have signed new deals and this might be a moot point!

Basically We ALL agree that the Youth players and Coke deserve at least 3 year contracts.

Can the club afford to pay them all good wages in our current climate?

Thats the problem we may only be able to sign one or two????.

If we could Sell Craigan and Lasley i would be delighted as there dead wood in IMO, and Snap these Gems up and have them for a few seasons before BIG teams offer the BIG Money for them.

The order i would sign player are:

Forbes

Coke

Hutcheson

Slane/Page

Basically We ALL agree that the Youth players and Coke deserve at least 3 year contracts.

Can the club afford to pay them all good wages in our current climate?

Thats the problem we may only be able to sign one or two????.

If we could Sell Craigan and Lasley i would be delighted as there dead wood in IMO, and Snap these Gems up and have them for a few seasons before BIG teams offer the BIG Money for them.

The order i would sign player are:

Forbes

Coke

Hutcheson

Slane/Page

Ridiculous comment.

As much as I agree we really should be signing up the youngsters, I dont agree one bit with the comments about Craggs or Lasley!

I think money will be there within the current wage structure to sign them all given the headroom created by losing Hughes, Malcolm, Porter, Quinn, Clarky. Muttley, Muttley's Bitch etc.

I also think further room will be created by the moving on of Lasley (perhaps) and (definitely) Darren Smith, Hammell and Fitzy

I'm not advocating any of that - just a hunch.

I think money will be there within the current wage structure to sign them all given the headroom created by losing Hughes, Malcolm, Porter, Quinn, Clarky. Muttley, Muttley's Bitch etc.

I also think further room will be created by the moving on of Lasley (perhaps) and (definitely) Darren Smith, Hammell and Fitzy

I'm not advocating any of that - just a hunch.

I suspect your hunch might be right. The moving on of Darren Smith and Fitzpatrick seems inevitable at the moment, there may be others who leave before the end of August.

Irrespective of any players leaving though, there should be some scope in the wage bill for giving some of these guys improved deals. Just don't know how much the wage bill has had to be reduced by due to the Setanta debacle...

Jamie Murphy signed a 3 year deal the season before last so he has 2 years left, Hutchison + Page signed 3 year pro deals this summer, Forbes I thought was out of contract this summer so must have got an extension,or he might just have 1 year left on that deal, Coke doesnt worry me so much either as his deal is 1 year with optional extension so we have the extra 2 or 3 years to tack on, the players Id look at 1st is McHugh,Slane,Saunders + Forbes (depending on his situation)

Cheers Shaka - exactly the kind of info required.

There appears general agreement we need to tie up the new talent on longer term contracts. But I condemn any notion of discarding established squad members like Hammell and Lasley. We need to build a squad, not just a team. I think JG will pick a side appropriate for each match. Just cos someone gets dropped, doesn't mean they are out the picture.

Going by some comments on here, as soon as Forbes, Coke et al have one mediocre game, that's them up for sale.

Let's get behind Gannon and ALL the team. :cheers: