Young Players Contracts

gullane

Doubtful, very doubtful. You think McGhee is going to get the full whack of transfer to play with? If Aberdeen get anything near 1.5m for those two McGhee will be lucky to see 200K of that. Aberdeen are up shit creek financially. That won't change with £1.5m coming in, in transfers

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coke, O'Brien, Hutchison, Forbes and Slane.

Contract offers should be on the table now.

Totally agree. If these guys keep playing the way they are we won't have them for much longer. You just know that bastard now in charge at Pittodrie and the scum will be keeping tabs on them.

And I don't believe for one second that Jimbo is sitting thinking anything other than time to get new contracts out to these guys. Pretty sure he'll be on the ball, he has thus far that's for sure.

Coke, O'Brien, Hutchison, Forbes and Slane.

Contract offers should be on the table now.

Offers are on the table but not yet accepted. 3years all round. Players arent happy with money offered by the club but 2 out of 3 are wanting to sign, the 3rd I have been told is vry unsure. Also new contract has been offered to Murphy but he hasnt signed as he has no agent(even though he does also want to sign) and one of the senior players is "advising" them all on what to do.... which includes not signing and holding out to see what else is on offer....

From a very reliable sauce........

Slane would be plain stupid to join Celtic! He must be really stupid not to see that. He would not make any slant on the first team and disappear with the Willo Flood's of this world. It would sicken me that a man of his talent would aspire to do that!

While I hope they all get signed up and in a few years time are good enough to earn big money moves that bring in loads of cash for the Well or stay here for the rest of their careers - but then that probably would mean they aren't that good!

In reality I don't give a toss if any of them leave - I'd rather see players at the Well who want to be here or have reasons for being here - such as getting career back on track etc. As soon as they don't want to be here they should be punted for whatever cash we can get. Mainly because I believe that if an employee is unhappy then they should be moved on as unhappy employees generally have poor performance and cause disruption.

There should always be another talented Youth Player on the conveyor belt or a decent free signing in the pipeline as long as everyone at FP is doing their job properly. If the background staff want to be at FP then they should be doing their jobs properly unlike McShovelface once he knew Chesney was leaving.

Offers are on the table but not yet accepted. 3years all round. Players arent happy with money offered by the club but 2 out of 3 are wanting to sign, the 3rd I have been told is vry unsure. Also new contract has been offered to Murphy but he hasnt signed as he has no agent(even though he does also want to sign) and one of the senior players is "advising" them all on what to do.... which includes not signing and holding out to see what else is on offer...

Maybe Gannon is right to try and run some of the older players out of the club. Even if he's claiming that he's not...

I think all the young lads coming through would be better served signing up at Fir Park. Ample opportunity to break into the team and make a name for themselves before moving onto bigger things if their talent is great enough.

That said any time bigger clubs come sniffing after you it is a difficult decision to say no. It usually means bigger money and there are no guarantees in football. Your career can be ended at any moment by a bad a tackle or freak accident. Medical science much improved but a couple of serious injuries around 17/18 and before you know it you could be out flailing around the lower leagues just trying to stay in the game.

As for ambition, I wouldn't slate anyone for moving up. I am sure they are aware of the risk of being the next Willo Flood but if you have belief in your ability you are going to convince yourself it not going to be you. Barry Robson could easily have disappeared at Celtic but he had the tencacity to fight for his place and was a fixture in the team. Slane if it is indeed he having his head turned will no doubt be thinking he is or can be least as good and Maloney/McGeady and get in the team. And in this era of Scottish fitba they don't hold on to their best players all that long usually either, spaces open up.

As a club it seems a bit mad to me that Slane wasn't signed up on a longer term contract 12 months ago when he made a reasonable impression in pre season. Ok so at 16 there no guarantees but he clearly had talent. A 3 year deal should have been fired at him then and there, not big money but enough to a 16 year not yet in the team to be happy with. If his career stalled and went no where well that is part of the game.

Likes of Forbes, something of a late bloomer with us seemingly or just strangely overlooked who knows but whilst it to early to say if he going to carve out a career at the top of the game he shown he has a touch of real quality. Again we should be offering him a decent contract and hoping we get the benefit of his talent for a few seasons at least.

It incredibly hard for a club of our limited means to hold onto quality players for very long and with younger players there is the balance between tieing them down and overburdening yourself with dead weight but that is just one of many things managers are judged on, ability to spot talent. I do hope we get Coke, Slane, Forbes, Hutchison, O'Brien on new contracts as it would be quite a sore loss to see them come through and disappear in the space of a season.

Where shite like that comes from baffles me! And even if that wasn't absolutely made up, he's 17 not 7, the boy has a mind of his own.

It might well be shite, but he 17 not 27 or 37 with a whole lot of life experience to fall back on.

17 year olds are not renowned for mature and thoughtful decision making.

one of the senior players is "advising" them all on what to do.... which includes not signing and holding out to see what else is on offer....

If true, I don't like the sound of that! Surely any senior player at Motherwell shouldn't be advising the younger players to try looking elsewhere?

Christ, just when everything was looking up aswell!!!!

Offers are on the table but not yet accepted. 3years all round. Players arent happy with money offered by the club but 2 out of 3 are wanting to sign, the 3rd I have been told is vry unsure. Also new contract has been offered to Murphy but he hasnt signed as he has no agent(even though he does also want to sign) and one of the senior players is "advising" them all on what to do.... which includes not signing and holding out to see what else is on offer....

From a very reliable sauce........

I can't believe too many SPL clubs would offer bigger wages than Motherwell. Having said that, McKay chose St Johnstone over us. Whatever, I hope the club are able to pay the going rate as the young talent are our future.

i dare say the club will offer what they can afford but dont think they will burst the bank to keep players incase they end up in admin again by paying stupid wages but imo the youngsters will sign up and stay where they are as they get to play every week and get better as players if they move they will rot in they reserves or youth team the future is bright the future is claret and amber

I would prefer to have Coke, O'Brien sign with Forbes Hutcheson etc all sign as they so far have changed the game and played well.

I admire Slanes talent and effort (Has he actually impacted a game) but if he doesnt want to play for us and go to Celtic to sit in the reserves for 3 years then get punted to League 1 then thats up to him at 17, he needs stability and encouragement, which Jim Gannon is giving him. If he doesnt sign he is a waster and should not play for us.

If true, I don't like the sound of that! Surely any senior player at Motherwell shouldn't be advising the younger players to try looking elsewhere?

Christ, just when everything was looking up aswell!!!!

Well taking an impartial view, advising them to hold out to see what else is on offer is what you'd expect. There is precious little loyalty in football from players to clubs and indeed other way around.

If a young player is making an impact here they well within there rights to look for a bit more money if they think they are worth it. How often do players ever accept the first offer?

Hopefully after a bit of negociation we'll make fair but not silly offers and they see the sense in the grounding they can get here, sign on and everyone is happy.