The Cooper Stand

HanoMaSano

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to see the calculator you are using?? How have the club lost thousands?? Every Rangers fan that wanted to go, went. And the paid £25 for it too. There were even SPARE seats in their Main Stand allocation. All this and we keep our fans happy by not giving up a traditional home end.

Finally, the crowd was exactly the same as when we gave them the Cooper!

Youngsters............the traditional home end against the Mauld Firm used to be the Main (POD) stand and the South enclosure !

So we don't support our own team because of the opposition? 1/0 to them to start with.

Early Ko but we were undefeated and Rangers hadn't not won a game so cracking game in-store?

We have and always will pay more against the old scum so nowt new there.

I have been a major critic of Boyle and the Cooper saga but its hard to defend on today's attendance. I wont say hes right as home sections should always be for home support but i can see his point no matter how much i disagree with it.

So we don't support our own team because of the opposition? 1/0 to them to start with.

Early Ko but we were undefeated and Rangers hadn't not won a game so cracking game in-store?

We have and always will pay more against the old scum so nowt new there.

I have been a major critic of Boyle and the Cooper saga but its hard to defend on today's attendance. I wont say hes right as home sections should always be for home support but i can see his point no matter how much i disagree with it.

Well, like I said in another thread, lots of people have regular commitments on a Saturday morning such as work, sports teams, golf games or whatever. Or, they have kids with similar commitments that they need to bus around. That makes it very difficult to get out to Fir Park for a 12:15 kick off.

While you may not have been affected by the current financial crisis, you may have noticed businesses all across the board are closing down or having big sales because people don't have money to spend. Football is one of the few businesses so short sighted that they would actually increase their prices. If you have a couple of kids to bring along, that soon starts pricing you out of games like this. The fact that your kids are likely to be subject to the sectarian bile is just an extra disincentive over and above the cost.

Fair point about the old firm bile i don't take my kids because of that. But i hardly think the early ko was responsible for a poor attendance more probably it was cheaper to sit in the pub and watch it. But with being such a crucial game so early on with a lot at stake and 2 teams playing well maybe i expected a bit more support. Out support has always been apathetic but today was really poor.

It could have been better yes??????

I would have guessed at about 9,500 before today, so I wasn't very surprised. The hard core support remains fairly constant, and neutrals are less likely to fork out extra and go through the hassles of having to buy a ticket.

Of course, I'd like to see more 'Well fans turn out, but charging them extra when the game is on telly isn't the way to do it. The NFL has the right idea. They allow every game to be shown live nationwide, but if a team hasn't sold out their stadium, the television broadcast is blacked out within a 90 mile radius.

I would have guessed at about 9,500 before today, so I wasn't very surprised. The hard core support remains fairly constant, and neutrals are less likely to fork out extra and go through the hassles of having to buy a ticket.

Of course, I'd like to see more 'Well fans turn out, but charging them extra when the game is on telly isn't the way to do it. The NFL has the right idea. They allow every game to be shown live nationwide, but if a team hasn't sold out their stadium, the television broadcast is blacked out within a 90 mile radius.

That is a good system... but would never in a million years work in scottish football. There sadly just isn't enough interest outside the old scum.

Look at the full ticket situation from JBs point of view... he can have high prices and say motherwell crowd of 4000, or he can half the prices and the fans will be happy. But will he double the support to make just as much money? I doubt it.

Its a sad state of affairs to be in and in my opinion the club are doing the best they can. But im sorry to say unless its a massive game (like when we played nancy) Motherwell will not pack fir park.

Many have asked about the home crowd on Saturday so I thought you might like to know some of the numbers. Be clear, I am not commenting one way or the other. What is posted below is a what we have logged coming through the turnstiles.

Cooper normally has 799 season ticket holders - 651 came on the day. In addition to the 651 who came along a further 109 bought tickets

East normally has 1,328 season ticket holders - 1,304 came on the day. In addition to the 1,304 who came along a further 411 bought tickets

POD normally has 386 season ticket holders - 360 came on the day. In addition to the 360 who came along a further 182 bought tickets.

The above excludes hospitality and member tickets in the POD and Cooper - these consist of areas such as the Millenium, Centenary and Cooper Boxes where we have approx 200 members total.

If you took an average of the above then approx 8% or thereabouts of season ticket holders did not attend on the day, the vast majority of which sit in the Cooper.

Indeed - those are very interesting figures. What strikes me right away is the high turnout of season ticket holders - particularly East Stand.

I agree with earlier comments that the attendance in the Cooper stand was a bit embarrassing after the "no means no" campaigns and the attempts to fill it at the cup tie two years ago and then on Saturday (both against Rangers as it happens). I'd be interested to know how the "non season ticket holders" numbers on Saturday compared to say the Kilmarnock game for the Cooper stand.

I'm conflicted on this one - I agree up to a point that the Cooper should remain a home stand, but the attendance on Saturday did not help with the previous economic argument for handing it over. That said, I don't believe there were Rangers fans unable to get tickets for the match so obviously we were able to cater for all of those who wanted to be there.

Difficult call for the club to be honest.

Ouch! sair wan!

Overall thats exceptionally poor figures.

To counter that I remember when a huge percentage of the well support stayed away (pre seating) and with proper segregation (aided by some airing of viewpoints by the fledgling GLF and OSB fanzines) we built it over time until we had a real healthy support for OF games at FP.

Ticket pricing, The Coop debacle and live telly for almost all games have reversed the positive trend.

Lets try and build the support up again rather than revert to handing the Cooper back. I hope the club can look at initiatives to turn this round. A few of us on here would be willing to sit down with the club and try and come up with something. (since the MST have eloped with our dosh)

Please don't give the Cooper back to the OF!

1. 12:15 kickoff

2. Live on TV.

3. Extorionate ticket prices.

4. Indimidation of Old Firm fans taking over the town for the day.

5. Bigotted bile.

Five perfectly good reasons why 'Well fans would've given it a miss on saturday. Given that the Cooper is traditionally the family section where parents will take their kids, these games are exactly the type of games these people are likely to miss, and understandably so.

so we've got 2500 season ticket holders and only 700 odd people bought tickets for saturday. bit suprised by that i thought both figures would be higher.

if 3000 people could get themselves to nancy a year ago it's a bit disapointing we can only get slightly more than that for a normal home game on a saturday. i think it shows our lack of appeal in the town as i've been suprised on my extensive european travels with the well over the last year :thumbup: how many people who travelled to those games aren't from motherwell.

Setting aside that reasons 1 and 2 are one and the same, I agree with you totally Frazzle. I have a season ticket so reason 3 doesn't affect me directly but 4 and 5 are the clinchers for me. I always make a point of getting to the ground a good hour or so before kick off on an Old Firm match day. It sickens me the way they take over our town (don't even get me started on the manky burger van that always turn up outside Knowetop School) and make us feel like the away support.

There's another thread about the away fans being kept inside the ground - well, it wasn't for long enough. By the time Mr David Snr and I got out of the East Stand and got to Taggarts the road was hoaching with them and it was incredibly intimidating - and that's coming from a 42 yr old and his 68 yr old faither !!

Give them the South Stand - keep them in it for about 10-15 minutes (if only). Still haven't forgotten being kept inside the Tattie Bowl for over half an hour a couple of years ago - London Road was deserted when we got out. One of the many reasons I stopped going there.......but that's another story.

Setting aside that reasons 1 and 2 are one and the same....

No, they're not. If the game was live on TV at 3pm (which I know is not allowed), I am confident the crowd would be higher. A lot of people go to football for a day out - a few pints, a bit of lunch, etc beforehand and a 12:15 kickoff makes that impossible, so a lot of people will have decided to have their lunch/pint while watching the game on telly. Even taking those people aside, there are fans who travel from outside the area to go to Fir Park, and the 12:15 kickoff could potentially make it an unfeasibly early start.

I know the kickoff was early because it's on TV, but it's two different reasons not to go.

If the match wasn't on live TV it would have been a 3pm kick off. If it's live on TV then the kick off time and in some cases the date is changed - so live TV necessitates a non 3pm Saturday kick off. It's the same reason..........

In any event - we had around 3,200 fans at the game. I'd wager that our attendance at the Kilmarnock game on August 22nd with a 3pm kick off was not much lower than that.

i don't get the intimidation thing at all.

how often do you see bother outside fir park, almost never. even going away to ibrox and parkhead i've never seen 'well fans having any bother in the areas around the ground. after the lappin game at parkhead we walked all the way up london road to brigdeton with me on the phone telling anyone who would answer about how we pumped celtic and there was no bother at all. i think any intimidation is more in the mind of the beholder than based in reality.

It sickens me the way they take over our town...

Aye, me too, and what doesn't help is that our club (sorry Leann!), the local pubs (except JDs), the police and stewards have contributed to that over the years I've been going to games.

Their fans should be made to feel as welcome in our pubs as we are in theirs (ie, not at all), they should be kept in (actually kept in - not just announcing they're being kept in) until the 'Well fans are cleared out and they should have anything that offends any of the home support taken off them, and be papped out when they sing anything sectarian.

Then you'll get the Cooper busy with 'Well fans.

Ouch! sair wan!

Overall thats exceptionally poor figures.

To counter that I remember when a huge percentage of the well support stayed away (pre seating) and with proper segregation (aided by some airing of viewpoints by the fledgling GLF and OSB fanzines) we built it over time until we had a real healthy support for OF games at FP.

Ticket pricing, The Coop debacle and live telly for almost all games have reversed the positive trend.

Lets try and build the support up again rather than revert to handing the Cooper back. I hope the club can look at initiatives to turn this round. A few of us on here would be willing to sit down with the club and try and come up with something. (since the MST have eloped with our dosh)

Please don't give the Cooper back to the OF!

I'd be interested in listening to what you have to say and as it happens I am already planning to take a proposal to the board around exactly your point - how to get more fans not only interested but importantly involved with the club - in all aspects - from all things matchday to ticket pricing. It would be radical however nothing is off the table in my view.

We really do have a vision for this club, it might sound naff to some...a vision...but it is real and more over achievable. I have essentially started a process of repositioning the club to be once again a community focused, fully part of the fabric of the area, family club. It won't happen overnight but it will happen.

Anyways this is not the forum for me to rattle on and to be honest I am not fully ready to do so either but I will be back to you all and soon. I was only on to post the numbers!

Leeann

i don't get the intimidation thing at all.

how often do you see bother outside fir park, almost never. even going away to ibrox and parkhead i've never seen 'well fans having any bother in the areas around the ground. after the lappin game at parkhead we walked all the way up london road to brigdeton with me on the phone telling anyone who would answer about how we pumped celtic and there was no bother at all. i think any intimidation is more in the mind of the beholder than based in reality.

I agree with that steelboy. Although I remember Skippy Sunday when the Coop was full of 'incognito' Celtic fans who attempted to rearrange my ribs for celebrating the goals.

There are reasons for people staying away - some legitimate like we all agree and there difficult ones to get around (if you don't have the cash you don't have the cash). the intimidation one isn't one I agree with as I've always attended OF games since my old man took me in the 70s

The more of us that attend the less intimidated we'll feel.

The figures nonetheless are really disappointing.

I agree with that steelboy. Although I remember Skippy Sunday when the Coop was full of 'incognito' Celtic fans who attempted to rearrange my ribs for celebrating the goals.

i was too busy intimidating celtic fans for any of that. when the second went we jumped into the row in front and grabbed the undercover tim in front of us and let him join right in our celebrations