Dundee United Game

jonnymfc

not the best performance today but you can't turn your nose up at three points away from home. we were murder for the first half hour until jennings got booked (harshly) and gannon pulled him for lukas. after that we dominated the rest of the first half but after halftime we slipped again. that's the third away game in a row we've had to change the system in 45 minutes or less, let's hope we can start getting things right from the start soon.

one bit of skill from o'brien and one amazing save from ruddy got us the points today. united fans probably walked away gutted but fuck them, i think we'll keep improving i'm not sure if they will.

another poster commented on coke's performance and although i didn't think he matched his other performances he was played out of position today and that should be taken into account.

the defence was superb today. yassin had a harder game than last week but did well. hammell had a couple of bad passes but had a good game and was involved in the build up to the pen. saunders was immense again and reynolds stuck a stake in the heart of the people who think he isn't a centreback.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thought Dundee United done well to stifle our attempts to play fitba. Didny give us any time on the ball at all and the big lads throughout the team went through our players in most 50/50s.

Genuinely sorry to hear that. I feared that might be the case but had been assured that wouldn't happen and United had enough class to go out and not worry about us but simply beat us by playing the better football.

Anyway a great result and Jim Gannon is driving us forward with a will, determination and acumen not seen at Fir Park for years.

Incidentally, When did we last record 3 SPL shut outs on the trot?

That was some performance today in the face of a total ars* of a ref and some strong arm tactics from Levine's team. I thought it was a compliment to us and our passing game that United tried to kick us off the ball and disrupt the flow of the game on home soil, unfortunately the ref got sucked in and helped them out!

Gannon demonstrated his command of tactics and formations with his change to protect Jennings and give us another out ball.

Special mention has to go to Big Rood for a commanding performance and 3 reaction saves in a row and to our two young centre backs: Saunders was always in charge and CAPTAIN MARK was assured, calm and dominating.

Every other player put in a really good shift and JoB never stopped working and his skill to win the penalty was sublime.

This is a good time to be a Well supporter and if the journey home from Dumpdee can be repeated from other grounds, then this will be a special season for us fans.

Can't wait for the next three home games!

Genuinely sorry to hear that. I feared that might be the case but had been assured that wouldn't happen and United had enough class to go out and not worry about us but simply beat us by playing the better football.

Anyway a great result and Jim Gannon is driving us forward with a will, determination and acumen not seen at Fir Park for years.

Incidentally, When did we last record 3 SPL shut outs on the trot?

Earlier this year actually!

3rd January Saint Mirren 0 Motherwell 0

7th January Motherwell 1 FHW 0

18th January Dundee United 0 Motherwell 4

Wee bit to got to at least equal the six successive shut-outs we got in 1996....

13th Feb Motherwell 1 Aberdeen 0

24th Feb Motherwell 1 Raith Rovers 0

2nd Mar Motherwell 1 Falkirk 0

16th Mar Kilmarnock 0 Motherwell 1

23rd Mar Motherwell 0 Celtic 0

30th Mar Partick Th 0 Motherwell 3

6th Apr Motherwell 3 Hibs 0

Tremendous result, points from games like this win prizes

and if anything it seems that we still have some more to offer.

I still maintain that it is important that the team is allowed to develop some more before we laden them with too much serious expectation, and we may have to endure a couple of surprising losses

But

Its good to be back to being gutted at missing games but also being excited and planning ahead for all the games you can get to.

Bring it on! Next!

Wee bit to got to at least equal the six successive shut-outs we got in 1996....

1/ 13th Feb Motherwell 1 Aberdeen 0

2/ 24th Feb Motherwell 1 Raith Rovers 0

3/ 2nd Mar Motherwell 1 Falkirk 0

4/ 16th Mar Kilmarnock 0 Motherwell 1

5/ 23rd Mar Motherwell 0 Celtic 0

6/ 30th Mar Partick Th 0 Motherwell 3

7/ 6th Apr Motherwell 3 Hibs 0

Looks like seven to me :huh:

In terms of unbeaten runs at the start of a league campaign we have equalled our best in the post war era. We have managed five undefeated three previous times in that period (73/4, 75/6 and 95/6) but couldn't manage a sixth.

Absolutely no way we'll get near our best ever undefeated start. In 33/34 we had nine straight wins to begin and went 22 games (19-3-0) before our first defeat.

Good times but is it just a carry over from our early start and will we run out of legs?

Hope I don't spoil it with my first appearance of the season next Saturday.

Support from the Well fans was great anybody any idea of how many were at the game ?

I was listening to the game on BBC Sport down in Sandhurst and must admit the 'Well fans sounded amazing. Don't know if the mike was close to them or not but sounded like a lot more 'Well fans than I was expecting.

Fantastic result. Performance isn't really all that important at the end of the day. Hard place to go and get three points and we did.

Jim Gannon's Motherwell Army!!!

I thought the game was pretty even for the most part until we scored. After that there seemed to be two spells of play. For the first fifteen minutes United had a lot of the ball and made a lot of mistakes with it and it was pretty easy for us to hold on (Ruddy triple save excepted) and to be fair on them it was not like the rest of the United performance on the day. The last ten minutes they threw everything at it which was fair game and exactly what they should have been doing. I thought in that spell Reynolds, Saunders, Maoutakil and Hately were immense.

The referee as many have commented on was picky with his whistle and in my view lenient with his cards though the two bookings we picked up came from not a fat lot. What I would say in his defence was that he was absolutely consistent in what he was doing throughout and while he maybe could have let it flow a bit more he didnt make many shockingly bad calls.

Craig Levein said in his interview that he didn't feel they did enough to win the game and therefore couldn't complain about losing it. I thought that assessment of it was absolutely bang on and had the wee bit of luck/skill that led to the goal fallen the other way I think we would be saying the same.

However its an excellent three points against a very good team. We got the wee break in Robertson and Gomis missing the game as well as they are massively important players for them and when they were crossing the balls in at the end they would have wanted Dixon to be doing it and he had been injured and was off. A good day's work, I would say a better result than last week but not as good a performance.

Right now, the only concern for me is the lack of goals. Once we get that sorted we really could be flying.

I agree Haggis with what you say, but I would add that a 1-0 win away from home is a perfect result because we get three points plus increase our goal difference. I could be wrong on this but I think Hibs have the same GD but are above us simply alphabetically.

I agree Haggis with what you say, but I would add that a 1-0 win away from home is a perfect result because we get three points plus increase our goal difference. I could be wrong on this but I think Hibs have the same GD but are above us simply alphabetically.

I'd take a guess at goals scored.

Delighted with the result today. Game was spolied by the ref. Wasnt our best performance but we managed to grind out the win. Ruddys triple save was fantastic.

Referee would have been no different to many others if Levein had let him got on with his game. Usual Levein tactic that. He mentions not enough quality in his Beeb interview... and plays Darren Dods (Manimal) :doh:

JG said after the Europa games, Motherwell wouldn't lose so many soft goals and we should learn how to handle crosses into the box. True to his word, Jim has taught the lads how to defend. The Rangers and Arabs games have seen the back 4 challenge everything. Special praise to Reynolds and Saunders.

I think we have to go back a long way to recall the last time we defended this well. I am so used to waiting for the late sucker goals to beat us, the last few games are a breath of fresh air.

Cheers JG :doh::cheers::cheers:

Referee would have been no different to many others if Levein had let him got on with his game. Usual Levein tactic that. He mentions not enough quality in his Beeb interview... and plays Darren Dods (Manimal) :doh:

The ref was a total fanny! He was a fussy and 'look at me I'm important too' prick. Christ, he even walked over as Forbes was about to take the penalty and touched the ball, must have moved it a centimetre. I also think the rules regarding yellow cards are a bit of a farce, Hammell gets booked for time wasting then shortly after a Utd player took him out at the knee,an awful tackle. Result yellow card, similar crime eh!

Cracking defence we had back then too.

We ended the season with a goals difference of For 28 Against 39 over 36 games. We had John Hendry "spearheading" the attack until Willie Falconer was signed. During the season, we went on a 16-game run scoring just twice during that spell. Then, bizarrely, a seven game run without conceding. Changed days!

Gannon out in the papers again today saying he took Jennard off before the ref sent him off. He's obviously got used to the pish refs up here and isn't afraid to take prevantative action, was a fair sub as he was a bit off the pace yesterday and no doubt would have got himself a second yellow.