Smith, Quinn, Maclean, Hughes And Clarkson

Kmcalpin

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I agree with most that we would be better with Clarky around though not necesarilly the others.

However, I'll add something else:

We acquired Klimpl and Malcolm when we desperately needed cover at centre back. Maybe both played there last season a bit, though they ended up in midfield when the injured returned.

Now, we're not missing either of these big-earners and we're even keeping clean sheets with Craigan sitting on the bench. 

How things have changed; for the better.

Moan the well.  :cheers:

SD

I think I agree with most that we would be better with Clarky around though not necesarilly the others.

However, I'll add something else:

We acquired Klimpl and Malcolm when we desperately needed cover at centre back. Maybe both played there last season a bit, though they ended up in midfield when the injured returned.

Now, we're not missing either of these big-earners and we're even keeping clean sheets with Craigan sitting on the bench.

How things have changed; for the better.

Moan the well. :D

SD

Maybe this has something to do with the departed keeper coach :(:cheers:

Strangely, I was giving this very question some thought last night. And came to the same conclusion that Dave did in his original post. Right back is still up for debate, but the one player that left in the summer that would without question improve our team right now would be Clarkson. Particularly given Gannon's preference for players with a bit of mobility...

As to Shallow Dave's point regarding clean sheets, this struck me as well. After the Killie game, if you'd told me we'd keep three clean sheets in a row, two without Craigan and all three without Hutchison, I'd have laughed my head off. And I'm laughing now :cheers: . Given how crucial everyone thought that Slane would be following the European games, the fact that our reasonably impressive start to the season has come without him kicking a ball also bodes well...

As always, another intelligent post, Melvin.

A pertinent point regarding Slane indeed. At the moment, if he were to return from injury, I'm not sure whether he'd get a game against the Hibees.

Although only five SPL games in, we seem very settled at the moment. Unless there are injuries in the next six days, I'd be inclined to stick with the guys who have deservedly reached fourth in the SPL and who might be considered to be a bit unfortunate not to be higher.

And if that means a bench spot for Craigan, I'd support this.

Falkirk at home could be the time to unleash Slane for maximum impact.

SD

Yeah, I'd say we are only missing Clarkson. I don't feel in a position to judge Jutkiewicz, as all I've seen is his run out against Rangers, but for me Sutton is woeful. People argued last season that he was a consistent goalscorer, although after his 5th game around September time, he never hit the net again until we played Inverurie Loco's in January. He is extremely immobile, and he only ever jumps for the ball when it's five yards away from him, and he isn't a clinical enough finisher to be branded a "proven goalscorer", his miss against Rangers being typical. Clarkson or Porter would relish Jim Gannon's era.

In midfield I'd say we aren't missing Hughes whatsoever, he was fantastic in his first season, granted, but in his second season he played hide and seek all too often, and one hard challenge made him shit a brick the rest of the game. On my early impressions, Hateley is a better defensive midfielder than Klimpl, due to the fact he can do the nitty gritty, as well as being able to play a bit.

At the back, we aren't missing McLean whatsoever, as much as I thought we would. I do think however, Paul Quinn was a winner and a leader, and replacing him permanently could be a task. Although Craigan is my favourite player in the current squad, it is encouraging to see us coping without him. A Mark McGhee side wouldn't have! Saunders and Hutchinson have been great, giving us depth, and I think Reynolds has been relishing his extra responsiblity.

Another thing that's pleasing at the moment is the fact that if one of our main players isn't on top form we seem to be coping. For me Forbes didn't have anything like his usual game against Rangers, and from all accounts of those who were there Coke was off-form at Tannadice. Despite this we got results in both games. I think it's relevant to mention this in this thread because the guys mentioned in the title of the thread were heavily relied upon last season and if one or two of them didn't perform, we'd struggle for a result. Much more of a spread of responsibility throughout the team at the moment...

On the subject of Slane, I'd like to see both him and Humphrey back soon. We're undoubtedly a quicker team than last season (compare Coke and Hately with Hughes and Klimpl, Moutaoukil with Quinn) but O'Brien is the only real blistering pace we have in the final third at the moment (and look how grief he is causing defenders). Slane or Humphrey would offer the same pace on the other side. Good to have both opposition full backs with something to think about...

I'm suprised to say we haven't missed McLean one jot since he went to relegation fodder Falkirk. I thought he was the one player we really needed to keep.

The fact of the matter is we don't seem to need any of them.

Also I think Lukas will turn into a belter of a player for us in the coming months.

I don't miss any of them - including Clarky.

I don't think anyone is pining for anyone too much, Steve. The question is simply would any of them improve the very good team we have at the moment. We all know that this is a hypothetical as we need the fees received from Clarkson and Quinn, and the wages freed up by the departures of the others to improve the squad. You'd have to be blind or stubborn not to admit however that Clarkson would be having a field day in this team.

I'm not a believer in looking backwards and saying what if McFadden/McCormack/Porter?McDonald were in this team. But if you want to look at it less hypothetically, I would argue that at the moment the only question marks over whether players have been adequately replaced is in terms of Clarkson and Quinn. The new right back looks the part at the moment - time will tell, and the same applies to Jutkiewicz.

I think the adequacy of the replacements for the players lost in the summer is a valid question. Having said that, like you I'm loving every minute of this season...

I was pretty annoyed when Clarkson was sold and I think he would be the only one out of who we've lost who could improve the team. Who'd have thunk it? I even bemoaned the loss of McLean, but thus far everyone else would appear to have been replaced by someone that is not only much more capable, but previously completely unheard of! Hats off to Jim Gannon.

The problem is, Ruddy looks that good, will we be able to keep him beyond January?

Jutkiewicz has now played in three games - looked a diddy in the first, looked capable in the second and looked good in the third. If this rate of improvement continues then we'll forget about Clarkson in no time.

I'd agree with Milo about Ruddy, but I also think that Gannon will have a plan B lined up for January for Ruddy, Jutkiewicz and the right back (not even going to attempt to spell it!) if they are all snapped up by bigger fish. Exciting times just now, but I think tough times will lie ahead and we've got to keep the faith when they come. Without wanting to sound like a miser, I don't think talk of Europe, etc will help the team at the moment.

We can all think it, but I'm trying not to say it out loud!

Is it just me or does Jutkiewicz remind anyone of Porter? He started a little slow in his Motherwell career, with some on here calling him pish before his goal against Gretna which bounced of his arse... I think Jutkiewicz could be the same once he gets his first goal.

Nah, I'd say he's more Clarkson-esque that Porter.

I think he's a bit of both but, to be fair, Porter was pish for about two months before he got his act together. Same again in his second season. Jutkiewicz done well to win the penalty against the h**s and nearly scored a belter on saturday. I'm confident he'll break his duck in the next week at Fir Park.

im sure jg will be working on yass in the coming weeks,once he gets this part of his game sorted we wont have him after the 6 months :doh:

Not quite on topic, but was very impressed by his willingness to chase back on Saturday.

At least once Utd tried to hit us on the counter after Yass had committed himself upfield, and he didn't half shift to get back and block/cover.

Its one thing to have ability - its another to have application...

I'd agree with Milo about Ruddy, but I also think that Gannon will have a plan B lined up for January for Ruddy, Jutkiewicz and the right back (not even going to attempt to spell it!) if they are all snapped up by bigger fish.

If these guys do come here and move onto better things after 6 months then so be it. Will benefit us in the short term and more players in their situation will see us, and what gannon is doing up here and will be more up for giving it a shot.

In Gannon we trust!